1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Classic Style CTF Servers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guro, Sep 29, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I've added a redirect on classic forums to get this more visibility/feedback from classic players.

Klokinator, Noburu and Guro like this.
  2. 3p1cL0bster

3p1cL0bster Ballista Bolt Thrower

Oh I love it! As a classic player moving to release I completely support the idea! ::):
    I'd be always there, most likely :D
    +1

Guro likes this.
  3. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

I think the importance of including every single qwerk from classic is prudent.
    3 block jump height, able to notch up on the 4th block. Notch jumping up 3 blocks with enough momentum, the 45 degree block squeeze, ect. Instead of making a classic mod with part of what classic had, we need to recreate the engines physics first, not a specific gamemode (tickets, ect) Because thats the least of the problems.

and like i said, if there are any tedious tasks that need to be done that people dont want to do, i am here. I mod classic with no script languages, and i know how the game feels/works/functions pretty much to a tee.

16th, Klokinator and Noburu like this.
  4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

tbh classic players probally wont leave classic unless it is a full port and even if that were to happen thered be old fags clinging to life in classic

Noburu likes this.
  5. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

This thread will get derailed in notime with players like this chiming in with their useless opinions. ^
    This isnt a discussion thread where you go in 5 loops about how classic players are old fags clinging to a dead game. Leave your opinion at the door.
    This is a thread for classic lovers to make things happen/discus things that will happen .
    Being proactive is the key, and arranging a team that can actually work together and get something done.
    I want to help.

Klokinator and Anonymuse like this.
  6. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Not sure if this is simply my perception or even if it's already been said, but the classic bows always seemed more powerful to me. I would love for them to shoot straighter and faster like they used to. Also, I've long said I'd give up my grappling hook to have that original knife from early beta back. Thank you for your interest in developing a classic-like server and I wish you good luck.

Guro likes this.
  7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Classic bows broke shields at any range, shot further, and could do more damage(?) IIRC.

However you lose hookshot, special arrows, and triple shot. They were also trickier to charge shot.

8. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

A charged shot breaks shield. there are 3 levels of of damage strength, weakshot, medium, and charged. The amount of damage they deal doesnt matter at this time because those setting can be changed later, theyre based on the server owners taste. But default is half heart, one heart, two hearts respectively.

9. Sytoplasma

Sytoplasma Haxor

Ah, thank you. I would at least like the way the arrow flies to be implemented if possible; the new bows just seem so weak.

10. PUNK123

he actually did ask for our imput on this i believe in the op so i will keep my opinion thankyou very much; next comes the last half make what happen? even if you just want to be able to play arround with any features here you can ask for them you do not need to believe classic is better(it isnt) and i do not see the "proactivity is key" logic but have your fun

11. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Alright time for maybe useful suggestion/concept time!

1. I think we need to have new maps that are more in the classic vein. 1 flag, at spawn, that you cover over. This is one of the things that makes classic great and encourages the epic fortresses we never see in Beta anymore. People fortify their spawn and the flag and then build out from it, progressively making a huge fortress by the midgame. We also need BIG maps with lots of airspace above. Beta maps are tiny and cramped, which is fucking nonsensical because people move faster in beta and climb higher. The best classic maps were the massive one that were 60 blocks from the ground to the bottom and another 60 to the top with about 150-250 to the sides.
    2. We need the classic respawn system, where your respawn takes longer if you die near your base and is shorter if you die near the enemy's base. Imagine mid-map as 10 seconds, and your spawn as +5 while the enemy's spawn is -5.
    3. Archers only have single shot. Their arrows fly far and make sense, they are the designated sniper unit and they have zero block destruction capabilities. .5 dmg with a barely charged shot, 1 dmg with a half charged shot, and 1.5 dmg with a fully charged shot that also knocks shields down for a full second or stuns a unit if they aren't shielded.
    4. The knight is the killing machine and medium-level fortress destroyer.
    5. The builder is weak and ineffective at combat, but builds things. We have to remember that builders broke blocks at about half the rate they do in beta.
    6. We need to have a max of 250 stone/wood/gold. Beta has more but things also cost more.
    7. No stone doors, only wood. Make sure we have the doors from classic that were solid in all directions unless pressing directly against them.
    8. Classic carryable outposts and healing stations/bomb and arrow stations.

That's what I've got for right now. Oh, also trap bridges too, but I'd like to see both classic trap bridges and beta's rotatable platforms plus the trap blocks. There can be advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

16th, NinjaCell, Hermap and 2 others like this.
  12. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

^Adding to this good post:
    Block placement has changed, you can all feel it when youre a builder, not only have support levels for backwall and different block have changed, but the actual act of placing a block down just feels weird and wrong, the block placing curser isnt in the dead center of the block when you select it to place. If at all possible, this is a thing that needs to be looked at and addressed because after all half of classic was about build techniques and strategy. And being able to place blocks like wildfire smoothe as silk dead center..ness is important.

16th, Guro and Klokinator like this.
  13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yes, block placement in beta is definitely inferior. I really feel it after playing classic since the newest build for beta was added. Building is so much better in classic. If the building style can't be ported over, all the work on this mod is basically for zilch.

16th and Haste like this.
  14. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

^This. I shouldnt have to destroy 4 blocks that were perfect to get to the damn 1 stone i want to break.
    I rest my case.

15. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

@Guro, let me know what needs doing and I'll gladly help out!

16. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

What I miss the most in classic is the building system. Everything feels much more solid, much more robust. It feels like every block counts, and even a slight change in placement would make a difference. It was complex in it's simplicity, with things like Acavado spikes and smart back-wall positioning. It felt like it was more about strategy and less about size. I'd love to see it ported into beta.

One beta building-related feature I like however, is fire. I don't know how/if it would work with classic-like building, but there is an undeniable pleasure in shooting a fire arrow into the enemy base and watching it burn.

16th, Noburu, Klokinator and 2 others like this.
  17. Hermap

Hermap Haxor

This, would be so friggin sweet.
    Having it like an emulation of classic... mother of peas that'd be fantastic.

I might come back here later with some more concrete suggestions, my head is standin' still at the moment.

101i likes this.
  18. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I like some things in Beta now. So after we've created a perfect classic emulation mod, let's then focus on the question of "If the developers had stuck with classic, what cool things would they have kept adding as updates came in?" and this will lead to a second mod, which we will call "King Arthur's Gold Classic Improved Edition", or Classic IE for short.

I think Classic is great, but it's clear to me that it had a lot more potential that was never explored. As well, there are SOME things in beta that I would like to see added, and other things I would NEVER want to see added. I will focus on a bunch of these things.

-No kegs. No bomb arrows.

-Fire arrows, grappling hook and the mine are OK.

-The Mine will be anti-infantry ONLY (No tile damage). It will deal 2h damage to a fully shielded knight, and 4 hearts damage to anyone within 2 tiles. It will still have the ability to propel a knight upwards, but the knight takes damage if they shield-jump onto it, so it becomes a "Do I want to use this as a explosively high jump and lose life, or just break it?" kind of mechanic. It can be dismantled in one hit by a builder, or two slashes by a knight, or an arrow by an archer (It will not explode, it will break.) It can be hidden behind plants and trees easily. It will only arm itself after landing on the ground for 2 seconds, and will never take fall damage (So you can launch mines into bases with a catapult.) Cost: 30 coins.

-The grapple will function the same as it does in beta, but maybe it won't fire vertically so easily and will be mostly used to scale sheer walls, therefore it will not be useful for getting around overhangs.

-Fire arrows will be sold at the cost of 20 coins per single arrow, instead of 30 per dual arrow.

-No legolas or shotgun, no double-slash (Except I think there is a double slash in classic, it's just harder to time because you don't have EZ 2 second glowing hold times like in Beta, and that's a good thing since it encourages a level of skill. In that case, yes a double slash in this vein is OK.)

-For the builder, a lantern tossed from very high up or fired from a catapult at terminal velocity will light wood on fire. It can't be lightly dropped, it has to be thrown very quickly and from high up.

-Block costs are as follows:
    Stone block: 15 stone.
    Stone backwall: 3 stone.
    Stone door: N/A
    Stone trap block: 35 stone.
    Spike: 30 stone.

Wood block: 10 wood.
    Wood backwall: 2 wood.
    Wood door: 30 wood.
    Wood trap bridge: 40 wood.
    Wood platform (Rotatable): 25 wood.

Buildings will be built the same way they were in classic, one tile at a time. All buildings will be 3x3 though, with no variance (Such as some being 3x3 while others are 3x4... that makes it more confusing for newbies). All building when created will turn into movable objects, but cannot be set-down inside each other. The exceptions are tunnels/storages and vehicle/boat shops, which are stationary.

-Building costs are as follows:
    Base building: 50 wood.
    Knight shop: 100 wood. (Bomb 20g and Mine 30g + Class switch)
    Archer shop: 100 wood. (Arrows(10) 10g and Fire Arrow 20g + Class switch)
    Builder shop: 100 wood. (Lantern 10w, Bucket 15w, Sponge 5w, NO BOULDER, Trampoline 150w, NO DRILL, NO SAW (Trees don't fall over since we're emulating classic))
    Healing station: 150 wood. (Heals 1/2HP p/sec when standing within its radius, sells hamburger for 30g.)
    Tunnel: 150w, 150s. (Useable by both sides)
    Storage: 150w, 50s. (Stores up to 6 items or stacks of material)

Siege shop: 150w, 50s, 50g. (Catapult 100w, 100s, 50c. Outpost 150w, 100s, 50c. Battering Ram 150w, 150s, 50c. NO BALLISTA.) The catapult will be able to craft a Boulder for 50 stone. The boulder spawns in the catapult and cannot be removed, only fired, at which point it will disintegrate after hitting the ground or plowing through blocks and hitting the ground.

Boat shop: 150w, 50x, 50g. (Dinghy 150w, 10c. Longboat 200w, 50s, 30c. War Boat 150w, 150s, 100c. War Boat Arrows(10) 25c.) The War Boat cannot be used as a spawn point, but it will be big enough to place an outpost inside it. Same for the Longboat, but you'll need someone to hold the outpost while on the Longboat.

All land-based vehicles, except Norill's battering ram, would be immobile. The only way to move them around is by carrying them. All water vehicles are used for mobility only, except the War Boat, which has the archer station for rapid firing arrows. It will start with 0 arrows, and bolts will have to be purchased inside the shop itself. Only archers and builders will be able to get inside the arrow-firing mechanism at the top.

Woo, time to take a break. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Guro, Hermap, NinjaCell and 1 other person like this.
  19. PUNK123

well i only scanned your huge post(because i have a life) and arent fire arrows in classic gold or just water(oh i mean this to @UnnamedPlayer )? and it seems your asking a hell of alot here klok.....

20. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Oh yeah, I forgot about water. Water bombs and arrows should not exist, and buckets will be the only source of water to extinguish fires. Thanks for the reminder.

People who make mods or games without laying out a detailed roadmap are people who don't develop properly.

Rayne likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi