1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Community Fixes Inbound

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Mar 4, 2015.

1. GreyHCK

GreyHCK Shark Slayer

actually
    i actually experienced flying sharks. it was like the bug/glitch that now happens with 2 knights.

pls geti make it official, i want to ride flying sharks.

2. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

If it comes from infront of you im pretty sure you take damage(anon is still abusing the hell outa these boulder man......)

3. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

Honestly running around with a boulder tapping people, even being under people and throwing it up is op.... yes you can hold down but that isn't the point :P it shouldn't be happening at all as far as I'm concerned :/

4. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Don't worry. I fix the Boulder.
    Yet, it won't be fixed for this build.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Can we get kedram seeking water bombs and arrows?

Sir_Walter, kodysch, hierbo and 4 others like this.
  6. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

As much as people might hate this opinion, I still feel boulders are pointless items to the game that causes cheap kills and generally a lot of problems. We will see how well this update takes care of that but otherwise they are one of the many reasons I near refuse to play anymore (I mainly play TDM, for context) and am currently only interested in the SP mechanics in the other thread.

Otherwise the other changes all sound good! I really hope to upgrade my PC soon so I can at least get to see how well CTF plays with all this!

hierbo, Rayne, Dargona1018 and 3 others like this.
  7. SlayerSean

SlayerSean FYI: it's pronounced "seen"

They used to be able to break down doors very quickly. Why was that taken away? Now you have to either cross your fingers and hope you can get a keg close enough, or cross your fingers and hope you can get a builder close enough. I would use the occasional boulder back when they broke stone doors in 2-3 hits. It made them useful, other than for cheap and entirely bs kills.

8. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

considering that stone doors cost as much as a boulder, it's pretty dumb you were able to take out as many as you want with one boulder.

You have to think of it as cost and return, that builder spent a lot more time and effort into building those doors, why should you get to break them so effortlessly? It makes people not want to build at all when their blocks are taken out in half the time they took to get the resources for them.

honestly I agree with crabmaster, boulders are only used for cheap kills and trolling, they take away from the "skillful" gameplay everyone wants the game to have.

That's so situational it's not even funny: "well you can survive this if you aren't trying to actually play the game" Edit: you can also catch the boulder, but pickup priorities interfere with that a lot.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  9. TheDirtySwine

TheDirtySwine Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

There are some things about the boulder that are very frustrating but have you ever tried playing just an archer boulder class? It's incredibly difficult to stay alive and be effective if you just use boulders. It also gives archers a way to kill multiple enemies. I think a more effective nerf would be to not allow archers to shoot while having the boulder equipped. That way it increases the difficulty a little bit but still alows for counterplay.

10. Rayne

I've changed the boulder to work like the spikes do currently(based on falling velocity), here's the script for anyone who wants it.

Attached Files:

FuzzyBlueBaron, Noburu and Fuzzle like this.
  11. Rayne

Yeah, I realize the velocity speeds for damage aren't optimal(they're copied from spikes.as), I wanted to test it with some others before I start changing it up.

12. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

So VERY heavy, in fact, that one wonders how an armor-clad knight or a wiry archer can carry and throw them with crushing force! How are they both of these at the same time?:
    • light enough to be carried around with a grappling hook, thrown, and carried while swimming
    • heavy enough to crush someone dead on contact

Dargona1018 likes this.
  13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Imagine if trying to use the hookshot while falling with a boulder in hand simply snapped the hookshot in half at the apex of the fall. That would be something.

Dargona1018 and hierbo like this.
  14. kedram

thats why i call them antimatter boulders, they are infact really light but kill anyone they touch xD

FuzzyBlueBaron, Crabmaster and hierbo like this.
  15. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I swear, Geti could put in an infinite range, infinite ammo laser pistol, and someone would come on here and vehemently argue that "It's really not OP or imbalanced, if you think about it," all the while blithely disregarding all of the points about how it IS imbalanced.

I feel this way about the boulder. If it was just added today for the first time, everyone would be like "WTF OP".

But I digress. There's already 708 threads about how the boulder is broken, many of which are chock full of really good, and so far un-refuted points.

16. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

its not OP or unbalanced until you kill @Geti with it enough that he rages

ie. first time water arrows, throwable logs, etc

17. Rayne

here's a new version of the boulder fix, balanced out the damage speeds with the help of @kedram and @RampageX

Attached Files:

18. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Part of the reason things like boulders are hard to balance is simply the effect I call Balance Limbo, the frustrating point where a game's fanbase is small enough where a developer can easily get iffy on changing things people love because while it would make the experience better...pitchfork raise and things burn. Also it'd be nice to test out that HurtOnCollide thing in a server, anyone hosting?

hierbo likes this.
  19. kedram

it works very well, i think its definetly a step in the right direction

RampageX and Crabmaster like this.
  20. Rayne

Action testing server, password will be TEST

there are also some other tweaks I've been testing out, bomb arrows on the test server do as much tile damage as a regular bomb does, and shields block boulders. This is for a rebalance mod the SHARK mumble has been talking about for a long time now, I finally decided to do it rather than talk about it.