1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Custom Made Wooden Zippo Lighters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ComJak, Aug 19, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

Yeah, that's what makes them stand out, I like it a lot.

2. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Thank czubai.

ALSO: I can make non-engraved cases for less of course :)

3. vig

vig KAG Guard Tester

What you might consider organic may look sloppy to others, just saying. Plus you probably know very well that perfectly symmetrical shapes are more difficult to make and more pleasing to the eye. Since they would keep the wooden texture and be made out of wood, it would still look organic. Also, do you enamel/glaze the surface? Do you think of colouring engravings/ carvings with fire retardant paint?

4. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Actually with the tools I have, It wouldn't be hard at all. The michigan lighter is virtually symmetrical. I have not glazed the surfaces yet and I do not plan to use paint.

I would like to clarify that if you want one, you can control how it looks with respect to "organicsism".

5. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

Really? I think it's just what culture 'taught' us. I feel at home in natural enviroments, symmetry is artificial, lifeless. I feel like I don't fit in it.

6. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Symmetry is beautiful in its defined and articulate uniformity, however I find the beauty of asymmetry more beautiful. No two things are alike. I don't want to get all artsy and whatnot but the crudeness and the handmade craftsmanship is what attracted me more to your handmade lighters. If you attempted to achieve a more symmetric like perfection, I feel it would lose some of its charm.

7. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

We have 2 types of wood like that here in my country.Don`t know what you have where you live...
    Google is the only who can tell you something!
    GL whit finding it!

8. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Heh, here in america, we have 2 types of wood too. We have maple wood and morning wood :D (sry had to get my inappropriate wood joke in). Research commencing

On the topic of symmetry. Symmetry is a huge cultural thing. Different cultures teach different kinds of symmetry. For instance, let us analyze a typical backyard garden. In most European and American societies, it is believed to be more pleasing if you have a perfectly symmetrical garden with perfectly cut grass with perfectly trimmed hedges growing a perfectly symmetrical tree. However, in Asian countries (more noticeably Japan), a backyard is considered part of nature and people go great lengths to maintain this balance. Japanese gardens are full of asymmetry and natural lines.

I am not saying one is better than the other but to different people of different backgrounds, symmetry is all the difference. And with my background (Part asian part america), I find beauty in both, just in different aspects of life. Symmetry is good for work and study but flowing and organic shapes to me are more suited for the arts and the eyes.

9. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Okay Rainbows, here's the bottom part of the case. It is ALMOST complete. Just have to fix up a few things and make the pattern more distinct. Tell me what you think.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

That's awesome for your first attempt on it.

11. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

O.O
    *looks at casing* *looks at rather large bill of transport* oh dear this may be solved with a coin toss since the postage increases price by and 150%

You get a 50% chance of buying

12. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

That's rather insane w/ posting... No way to lower it either I expect.

13. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Thanks Lireal.

How large is the bill?

Another solution is that you fly your ass to uhmericuh and you can pick it up :P

14. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Here is the pattern pretty much complete. It will be more apparent when I stain it (if you want it). I forgot a little part on the bottom left of the top but I'll fill that in. Next, I'll be hollowing it out and fitting the zippo insert.

[​IMG]

15. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Heads for buying it *coin toss is always the best way to combat indecisivenesismm*

Edit: It was tails! I now have a slightly guilty conscience but £45 still in my pocket :P

16. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

you bastard ;D it's cool. Now I have a real nice piece of work to show off.

If anyone else wants it or another design, reply to this thread. I know some other people were interested but never gave me a design.

17. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

I was wondering about buying one of these but the flame on zippos is too big for what I smoke :x
    Could you possibly make me a lighter cover to fit a Bic brand lighter?

18. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

What are you smokin bro? haha a pipe? I could definitely give it a shot. Never tried it before but it'll be interesting. What design do you want on it and do you want it to be rounded or squared?

19. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Shopkeep Stealer

Any kind of bowl and it just torches it all :P
    And rounded just as the lighter is would be nice. Now sure about design yet but definitely dark stained. I don't think I'll be able to get this even if you do finish it though...

20. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

I see, you should buy a zippo pipe lighter. It might work better. I haven't personally tried it but it might work.

I will see about doing a bic case but I will be away from monday through wednesday. Make your decision by then please :D

Hey Rainbows!, I just found out that one of my relatives is heading to London next Sunday. I could get you the zippo for 25 dollars shipping included if you like.

Mods: BlueLuigi