1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Custom mode, something like challenges

Discussion in 'Requests' started by RadioActive, Jul 17, 2015.

1. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Hey guys.
    I am working on something new but I have huge problems with setting up rules and creating a mod for it. What is this? A maze map where player have to go through the maze from point A to B (just like on the challenge maps) but it will be not that simple. I want to create a labyrinth map full of traps, bots and mechanisms. I think it could be really cool, but..

Is there anyone who could create a folder with all the rules and needed files for it? I know it's probably not that hard, but it will take me a years to do this... Everytime I try to edit some files I fail :rektlord: Some things work but others do not.

So, what I want to achieve:
    - only one team (just like on sandbox/challenges)
    - working mechanisms
    - bots (I want them to work just like those on the challenge maps)
    - no builder class
    - timer
    - map restart when player die
    - spawnpoint (optional)

For now it's just an idea but I have a "raw" maze map and the files are all I need to move on. If there is anyone who could do that for me, I will be very grateful.
    :heart:

2. TBA_LordKnight

TBA_LordKnight Bison Rider

If you need any sprites I'd be happy to sprite! ::D:

3. Monkey_Feats

Monkey_Feats Bison Rider Tester

Correct me if I am wrong. But you just explained what challenge mode already is.. with mechanisms.
    I don't think anything needs to be done to the scripts.

Just make a map with mechanisms and add your map to the mapcycle.cfg under Rules/Challenge/
    Although I haven't tried using mechanisms on other gamemodes yet.

4. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

I tested it on sandbox and tdm with no luck. It can be the same with challenges however I did not test it yet. I will do that tommorow. Anyway even if this will work, I still need some help with map restart when player die and some other things (gotta check challenge config file, maybe there will be some options).
    Also thanks LordKnight, but there will be no new things, so no new sprites are needed. Simple sprites I can do myself :]

5. Monkey_Feats

Ahh, Just tested it myself. Must be tied to TDM somehow.
    I can try mash something together. Don't expect a great result though, I'm new to coding as well.

6. TBA_LordKnight

TBA_LordKnight Bison Rider

oh ok :< I... I see how it is :QQ:

7. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Monkey_Feats this is how:
    scripts = KAG.as;
    Sandbox_Rules.as;
    Sandbox_Interface.as;
    [...]
    MechanismsServer.as;

MechanismsReader.as;
    DummyGrid.as;

I just added those two lines / scripts to the gamemode.cfg and it works. Now the only problem is restarting the map when player die, but I guess I need a mod for it, since I don't see any option to do this in the config files. Also there's a problem with spawn points, but maybe I just need more time to solve it. I did not expect it's that easy. I think I just leveled up and my coding level is now 1. kek

8. Monkey_Feats

Good stuff, Tried those lines but it didn't work for me :S
    That's why I try not to ask for help, Usually works out after hours of wtf am I looking at.
    Feels good though don't it :D, Guess that's half the fun of being a modder/dev.

As for restarting the map, Do you mean restart the timer? Because in the parkour gamemode if you die, You go back to the spawn but the timer keeps going.

9. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

I know about the timer in parkour, but I wanted to restart the map. Now when I think again about it, I don't need it that much. If you die, there will be less time to complete the level and it should be enough. Maybe I'll just add more traps and stuff so people will have to be more careful.

10. Monkey_Feats

Awesome, I'd like to play these maps for sure. Was actually thinking of adding some of the mechanisms to ctf.

That is probably the best option, Because people will want to run the gauntlet together.
    Or just how long it takes to actually get to the end?

11. Vamist

Vamist THD Team THD Team Tester

Wait wait wait, Why don't you ask some people like @AsuMagic or @SirLoading (lol he hides him self <3)

12. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

Why not just copy the rules for the challenge maps. The code already exists. They have point a -> point b one team challenges already. Or rather don't even copy it, just make your map and the add it to the challenge cycle and set the scripts to be the same.

13. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Verra this is what I did. I just forgot about it when was creating this thread (yes, dumb me lol). I also prefer to copy challenge gamemode rules and make a 'mod' folder because I have to add some things to the config file and don't want people to reinstall or backup their files.
    Vamist I think that a lot of people check daily New Posts tab and they saw this topic. I did not want to force anyone to help me :P Now everything seems to be ok. I think all the problems with files are solved.
    Monkey_Feats It's hard to tell, because I just started to fill the maze with mechanisms, traps, bots and items. There's a lot of work to do and I am not sure when this map will be released (not soon).
    About the timer - I thought that 15 minutes will be enough, but now when I just built some mechanisms, it's so fu:anger:ng easy to die :D So I don't know yet. Gotta finish the maze, test it and see how much time it will take me to complete it.
    I also think it will be fun to play with friends but not more than two.

14. Monkey_Feats

Yeah one would imagine maps for this will take some time to make.

Well you did say you wanted it to be a maze.. People die in mazes. I think it should be a challenge.
    I didn't even realize mechanisms were in sandbox, Might pay to go there and spend some time messing around with them.

There is some sweet puzzles you can make, If you put your head in it.
    I made a sequence door that only opens given the right levers are on.

15. MadRaccoon

MadRaccoon Haxor

What if you had two teams racing to solve the labirint????

16. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Hah probably it would be also cool but tunnels in the one i am working on are 3 blocks wide and I think it could be a problem when there's more players. Also for more people it would be cool to have unlimited arrows in dispensers but.. we will see maybe some day when I get bored..