1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Daskew's little thoughts on boulders c:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daskew87, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

+1 to making boulders fun.

Osmal and epsilon like this.
  2. Coroz

Coroz B R B Donator Tester Official Server Admin
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I think the main reason boulders where Op was because of archers that could use grapple with it. So remove that and make it so players move slower. Then you can restore the damage of the boulder. and maybe make a better siege weapon out of it aswell (being able to set the boulder onfire would take tomuch effort to program i gues, but can be alot of fun)

PUNK123 likes this.
  3. Blue_Tiger

archer grappling with the boulder was the best part though :/

4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

This was literally the most cancerous bs mechanic ever. Especially with the cheap price for water arrows.

A fair compromise would perhaps be not allowing archers to charge shots when holding a boulder OR at the very least not allow them to charge water arrows.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You wouldn't need to throw it up - as long as you were above the enemy you wanted to smoosh, you could throw it downwards - if you were moving downwards too, past some point (probably about stomp velocity) it'd be a kill.

It's definitely going to make archers with boulders a priority target again if it goes ahead.

I really want to make a lot of items "ban" certain actions but the previous implementation of that caused the "invisible jab with keg, chicken, etc" bugs, some of which are only just fixed next build. It needs some specific implementation in each class and item, and I dunno when I'll get time for that.

Banning specific things like water arrows is out of scope as that'd require either extra specific, messy code for that specific case, or a bunch of framework code written that ends up only being used for that specific case.

PUNK123 likes this.
  6. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

no it was complete garbage and it sucked for everyone who didn't dedicate themselves to abusing it. Not that I'm surprised this opinion is coming from someone who worships water arrows, lol

As for the smooshing, hell yes it sounds great.

You could make it less of a nasty combo for archers by having them "throw" the boulder with no velocity so they actually just drop it with their pathetic little noodle arms, and it falls straight to the ground. Still usable for the archer if they can get above the enemy, but wouldn't make archers the one true way to use boulders, then you could balance them a little better for the other classes' use. I guess technically that would require it to be thrown with the negative of the archer's current velocity? Dunno. This might be just as hard as adding the other mentioned specific/conditional "boulder bans" though, for all I know. Seems like it might be a little simpler.

edit: sidenote actually I guess the archers would have pretty strong arms because of all that bow pulling and grappling, wouldn't they? I still kind of think of them as the weenies for some reason lol

bru-jaz and PUNK123 like this.
  7. jimmyzoudcba

jimmyzoudcba Haxor Tester

+1
    Yes <3
    thx Geti.
    BTW new patch rolling anytime soon?

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Was meant to be weeks ago :( I'm waiting on MM to fix something weird that snuck in while builds were down. If it goes another week I'll be figuring it out myself but we try to avoid stepping on each other's feet (results in fewer "i thought it did this but it does that" bugs).

This image has been somewhat carefully constructed over many years.

Since archers can already use grapple to get siq stomps the boulder change would somewhat improve that, but if it doesn't change anything to do with horizontal velocity's affect on damage, they wont be able to "sling-shot" boulders any way but downwards. Knights can still accomplish that with bomb jumps (and potentially downward slashes, but it'll need fiddling)

It's sounding like a consensus in tentative favour, I'll put it on the list. As said above though it seems like this patch isn't exactly rushing out the door :(

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  9. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

Geti basically my point in this whole thread is that it would be nice for the boulder to be re-worked so that stuff like in the videos I embedded in my posts would happen more often. Because it looks very beautiful and gives the game even more depth in skill.

:rekt:

Also you said the boulder looks bad earlier. I think it actually looks kind of nice.

bru-jaz, epsilon and Blue_Tiger like this.
  10. cesar0

cesar0 Emperor Donator

[​IMG] do i need to say more?

bru-jaz, SirDangalang and Blue_Tiger like this.
  11. Geti

I think it looks bad/silly when carried. The item itself looks fine, but it blocks the character's visibility a lot, and there's no way you're running and jumping around with a stone that big :)

12. Blue_Tiger

knights can fly, people are stunned by water, blocks magically appear when a builder demands.

Frikman likes this.
  13. cesar0

cesar0 Emperor Donator

people heal over sleeping for 5 seconds, fire arrows can set things on fire, arrows with bombs attached to their end, people fly straight into walls at 5000000 M/h and take no damage, coins appear in your pockets after having done a good action...

the list goes on

bru-jaz and Frikman like this.
  14. daskew87

I think these are sound points. lol

epsilon likes this.
  15. Geti

None of that changes me thinking it looks silly.

Was just clarifying my opinion - there is very little internally consistent reasoning in KAG and I'm well aware of that :)

16. daskew87

Do you not think that the moves from the 2 videos I posted in this thread look pretty stunning though?

epsilon likes this.
  17. Geti

I do think they look nice, though the lack of recoil and general "weightlessness" of the boulders has always looked a little janky - I'm not sure I want that kind of combat to be the status quo, but I wouldn't mind it having a bigger role :)

daskew87 likes this.
  18. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

I remember when boulders could break stone doors :rekt:

EhRa and SirDangalang like this.
  19. SirDangalang

SirDangalang Lvl. 128 MissingNo. Donator

We try and forget about that, those were dark times lmao :skull:::P:

20. ShamWow-SuperRag

ShamWow-SuperRag zamn Donator Tester

Those were the best of times! Knights didn't have to rely so much on attack builders.