1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Daskew's Map Making Tutorial

Discussion in 'Maps' started by daskew87, Apr 17, 2016.

1. daskew87

daskew87 Legendary corpse humper Donator

So many people have asked me in-game how to make a map I thought I might as well create this post to refer them to!

=== FOLLOW THESE STEPS ===

1. Get a paint program where you can save your map in a 24-bit PNG format. Good one to download: paint.NET (it's free, brilliant, and not malware)

2. Grab this image
    beta_palette_build963.png

3. Use the colours presented in the palette above from step 2 to draw your map out. You will probably have to use a "dropper" tool in your chosen paint program to grab the colour you need.

• Bear in mind when choosing the image size a typical CTF map PNG is about 210 x 65 pixels

4. Remember to add spawn points, and all the necessary blocks you need for the game-mode your map is meant for. (If you accidentally add colours that aren't related to blocks the map may not load)

5. Save your map as a 24-bit PNG - most other formats won't work

(saving as PNG in paint.NET)
    Save as PNG.png

(showing the selection of 24-bit in paint.NET)
    24-bit png.png

=== END OF STEPS ===

:smug: hue hue hue

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

makmoud98 likes this.
  3. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Paint 0/10. Gimp 4 lyfe.

As for the non-related colors, i remember readin in someone's map making guide that they would just be empty air(the blue stuff) tho im too lazy to confirm.

4. wayne__newton

wayne__newton Catapult Fodder

I used MS paint.

5. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

that's fine, i use paint to copy and paste things, it much more easy in ms paint than paint.net just make sure you have a program that can save it as 24bit file size

6. Olimarrex

Olimarrex Ballista Bolt Thrower Official Server Admin

I think 32-Bit is a better file size to save as. Does 24-bit save transparency?