1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dead game is dead...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revsta

revsta Shipwright

It comes from the 9.99 price of the game and the Devs saying they've sold more than a million copies. I'm rounding. It's in the millions. Would it be better for you if they've only made 2 million and couldn't pay a kid 50k to fix bugs?

2. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Considering that you don't seem to know that KAG sales have only made around $1 mil in total, maybe a litte more. Divide this into its employees in fair amounts, after taxes, and that's what each employee gets to live on. It's more cost efficient to actually let the current KAG devs and volunteers work on the bugs and technical glitches than to hire someone who may or may not even know how badly KAG is scripted.

3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester

Also, don't forget that most of those sales are from steam, and valve has to take their cut as well. Also, you obviously haven't read some of @Geti 's previous posts, saying that changes are on the way, it's just that with the build server the way it is, they can't fix those things yet. Please, these things have already been explained, yet you fail to listen and read.

4. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Weird.
    Geti said "We cracked a million in steam revenue a few weeks ago, and private sales have added a lot of cream on top of that - it's certainly not at minecraft level, but nothing else is either. In our eyes, the game is a screaming success, haha."

SCREAMING SUCCESS, but they can't seem to have a single person working full time to fix glitches in the game. Cool.

5. Auburn

6. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

They don't really need to. Seriously, what glitches are you talking about? Can you name some examples?

7. revsta

revsta Shipwright

quick server change causes game to crash a majority of the time. place block glitching through blocks. not being able to replace wood/stone and vice versa sometimes.

And yeah, they don't 'need' to. Devs don't 'need' to finish a game when you pay for their alpha either. Comcast doesn't 'need' to take your criticism of their company seriously either.

Pizza likes this.
  8. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

You weren't banned for criticising the devs, you were given a warning for flaming in the thread-- which just happened to be your third flaming warning this year, so you were automatically temp-banned by the system.

Word of warning: we generally prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to flaming; however, your continuing to post in an aggressively acrid fashion makes it more-than-likely that you'll get slapped with another infraction sooner or later.

Take a chill-pill, dude; and learn what the phrase "constructive feedback" means.

kaizokuroof likes this.
  9. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

It's pretty simple bussiness, but I'm pretty sure that $10m did not just come out of their ass, they worked hard, and spent tonnes, and need to save for their next game to make it not as shit as this one in terms of the amount of bugs and optimisation. Not only that, but the bugs are very minor in this game, other than 1 or 2 crashing ones, so who really gives a crap? Also, I'm sure a good portion of those 1 million sales were due to sales and so I'd guess $5 million in revenue or less, but that's nothing I know about.

I hate the idea of fanboying, and almost agree with you. Just, the disrespect that comes out of your mouth (fingers) to hate on someone to do something that they do not have to do is beyond me. I would love to see a dev do some full-time work on KAG, please do, but I'm not going to insult about it.

10. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

The crashes aren't too terrible, as no one has truly complained about that to any extent.
    The place-block-glitching-through-blocks bug makes no sense.
    And if you are referring to repairing broken wood with stone, that's not gonna happen.

And to add to you saying that they don't 'need' to do anything, you don't 'need' to be a grumpy overexaggerator that absolutely hates the game for all that it's worth, and yet says that he doesn't.
    Either take off your facade of hating the game or stop speaking as if you do.

11. revsta

revsta Shipwright

Is that why when I asked you for my quoted post, and then you gave me my quoted (deleted) post, and I asked you what part about it was specifically flaming you chose to ignore my question and post here instead?
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 27, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 27, 2014 ---
    A lot of my friends complain about the crashes, and I've seen it mentioned here on the forums. The place-block-glitching does absolutely make sense. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it's not an issue. And why isn't the repairing broken wood with stone going to happen if I can place full percent stone-wood and repair stone w/stone and wood w/wood why not wood w/stone etc. for repairs? If I'm building a tower, and someone one hits my wood, I can't replace it w/stone.

Disrespect? Why don't you go look back at where this all started. I don't care if they worked hard or not. Tons of game devs work hard. It's the fact that they put out a game and now consider it done and don't give two shits about it. The second I opened my mouth, which was to discuss bomb power, this entire community flamed the shit out of me and called me a shitter and a faggot and a newb etc. If someone wanted to be civil with me I'd be civil back, and you've seen that happen. 99% of the posts on this board are just people criticizing my attitude and being fanboys - nothing else.

I don't 'hate' this game either. I've stated repeatedly I like the game and play it many times a week. I don't like most of the community and the lack of respect from the devs.

Pizza likes this.
  12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

(I really don't know why I'm burning more time on this.)

Re: $$$ - "grossed over a million" doesn't mean "over a million sales". http://kag2d.com/en/ has a sales count if you're interested in the exact number. A lot of those were naturally at sale price (steam, bundle, whatever) but we have made over a million dollars in over 3 years for 2 people full time and a handful of part time workers.

Re: someone should be on it full time - That's not your call to make. Over the past month and a bit it certainly would have been wasted effort as the game was unable to be tested or deployed.
    Re: someone should be on it full time fixing glitches - A lot of the work from trench run is on the same engine, and fixes made there make it back in to KAG. We're not a big company and we're not particularly interested in spending money on expanding; so the only ones able to "fix glitches full time" are otherwise occupied.

Re: lack of respect from the devs/don't give 2 shits about it/etc - I've been less than cordial with you personally because you, as a reasonably recent addition, with hardly any tangible community contribution other than a steady stream of inflammatory behaviour, insisted and continued to insist I don't make a contribution and disclaimed and continue to the ethics of our behaviour around the game. Considering I'm on these forums every few days (and I have been for years) on the testing IRC chan similarly and the public one less frequently, liaising with donators and answering (misdirected) support queries, touching base with the community and fixing bugs while working on another game I feel that the disrespect comes squarely from you.

Re: crash on rejoin - found (thanks to fuzzle, actually) and fixed for the next version last week. It's going into testing soon, hopefully will be public in a few weeks.

Re: replacing blocks - the intent is that the stone must be built over a well formed wood block - ie you have to prepare the wood for stone placement. This was done intentionally at the time repairing was added (quite recently) as we were (and continue to be) worried about the promotion of stalemates from quick-reinforcing buildings that were under attack to stone, and a lot of the testers had (justifiable) reservations about repairing being possible at all.

13. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Right.

We're going to get this clear once and for all.

Afterwards, if you want to open your trap and continue contributing to this miserable thread, then you will take painful care to dot your Is, cross your Ts, and keep your nose scrupulously clean.

Because, just so we're clear, if I encounter a single instance of embittered self-righteousness, backhanded insinuation, or misdirected malcontent coming from you then I will shed this velvet glove and you will feel the rough edge of my gauntlet. I am, as it were, most seriously displeased. :huh?:
    Straight up front: I do not recall (and, more to the point, cannot find any record of) you directly asking me about which specific parts of a specific post were flaming. If I'm missing something please show/link me where said request was made and take my sincere apologies for not being explicit at the time.

Now, irrespective of whether you asked me or not, here is the post that got you warned (NB: areas that I would consider inflammatory highlighted for clarity's sake).
    revsta.png
    As I said in my previous post, we generally prefer to give some leeway regarding flaming; however, with your prior posting in the thread being somewhat terrible I can find no fault in the fairness of your warning.
    ---

The sheer obnoxiousness of these five sentences I cannot even.

In bullet format, because dwelling overly long on the vile attitude demonstrated here is in no way good for my blood pressure:
    1. In a few short lines you obliterate any possible recognition of effort sunk into the game by the devs-- and yet you have the gall to blithely shrug off any mention of disrespect. How dare you, sir. How dare you.
    2. The audacity you display in ascribing words and attitudes to the devs, which they have flatly contradicted in word and deed for the past 3+ years, is simply mind-numbing. Absolutely astounding. The work, sir, of an unmitigated cad.
    ---

No. Just... no.

The delusion is strong with this one.

See, thing is, I distinctly recall not flaming you (or calling you anything nasty, for that matter). Iirc (which I do, because I went back and double-checked), I devoted seven (7) posts --literally all the posts I made in this thread until you left the discussion and even then I still told people to get off your back-- to trying to help you integrate with the other people in the thread (many of whom you were rubbing up the wrong way with your attitude) and your response:
    didn't demonstrate civility; it demonstrated you being a dick.
    ---

Respect, beyond the common every kind we call 'courtesy' (something you've show witheringly little of in this thread, and elsewhere, which is why we're having this little conversation now), is something that's earned. It is something that is multiplied when freely given and returned in kind. It, funnily enough, is the kind of thing that cannot be demanded; and in fact is the kind of thing where demanding it only serves to prove that you don't deserve it.

If you want to have a place in this community, and a voice at the table, then stop and have a hard think about how you've been carrying on. Because with this post I have just cashed my last fuck. There are no more fucks to be had. And, if you act in such a way as to necessitate me creating an overdraw on my account, you can be sure that I will be most unforgiving.

tl;dr
    Have a care, Rabadash. The doom is nearer now: it is at the door: it has lifted the latch. :skull:

14. revsta

revsta Shipwright

How in the world would you hop in this thread and act like I've been directly addressing you this entire time...? And then make up a ton of straw man arguments and defeat them? This place is funny

Corpsey likes this.
  15. mcrifel

mcrifel Haxor Staff Alumni Tester
    1. MIST

2014-12-09_00001.jpg

16. Arkman

Arkman Catapult Fodder

I am not sure what is weirder, the empty server, or the fact that the server on top is Australian.

17. Auburn

In North America's defense, we were all probably sleeping... or.... yeah, sleeping.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  18. unruly_boss

unruly_boss Catapult Fodder

so......is this game dead or not?? Since that last huge update changing the gravity etc and other things it does seemto have died somewhat.

Maybe with the newest updates the devs have planned along with the Christmas sales will bring in new players and the devs will have learnt from their previous mistakes that it is beneficial to keep the player base and accommodate to the casuals, rather than alienate them (again) and just riding high off the backslapping of the elite few on the forum.

Spoiler: Pleasing the guys who grab on to your genitals for dear life and blow smoke up your ass will not make you more money - milk that cash cow - milk it.

19. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Ballista Bolt Thrower

A huge amount of these people that have been here have left because of the Devs doing the exact opposite: making it better for casuals and listening to those that want everything to be nerfed because they got their asses kicked.

20. Tern

Tern Quickfish Donator Official Server Admin
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Why isn't this thread dead yet?

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.