1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Deadline Announcement + Water and Wood almost here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Jun 2, 2012.

1. chickennugget22

chickennugget22 Horde Gibber

I have a question about the upcoming "fire" the wood blocks would be eminiated if that were to happen fire wood be overpowered. So if your adding "fire" then add stone team door.

2. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

A stone team door is already in the making, just wait and most of your questions regarding this topic will be answered in the coming week or two.

3. chickennugget22

okay ghozt aslo if there is going to be fire willl knights be able to put it out by stabbing it

4. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

5. chickennugget22

okay ghozt I should stop asking usless questions

FlameHaze3 and Geti like this.
  6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

WOAH WOAH HOLD THE PHONE the are some seriously important things missing from that to do list.

I for one don't give a shit about vehicles and couldn't care less about water. There is a metric fucktonne of fundamental problems with the game right now that are a lot more pressing than the implementation of these novelties.

PLEASE tell me you will continue polishing what we have already. Between good players (which are becoming frighteningly common) this game degenerates into an eternal stalemate of arrows and stone walls. EVEN RDM is often deadlocked in a storm of arrows. People are actually learning how to play this damn game and without the once ubiquitous shroud of incompetence to cloak the common match we are beginning to see really serious problems which won't go away by themselves.

We still have a number of knight inconsistancies and clashing. Archers need a lot of heavy tweaking, not something that you can just add some vars for and toss to server owners. There are still a tonne of bugs and things that need the shit tweaked out of them.

These are things you guys know about, and have known about for a while. Videos have been made and hundreds of fingers have been bruised writing up wall after wall of text on these.

What happened Geti? I remember you were once they guy telling Data that he needed to get his shit together and make a game that works fundamentally? Now you're the guy trying to get us hyped about wooden blocks.

I AM TOTALLY OK with not having "200+ hats", with not having a persistent permadeath overworld, with not having necromancers or vehicles, with not having any of the classes shown in that teaser. Toss all that shit in the trash that's perfectly alright. It's okay, we can just shrug and drop those expectations. I know that the majority of the community supports you on that.

What's terribly disappointing is the appearence that the important problems aren't being recognized. We won't be pacified by pretty baubles, we want solid gameplay mechanics.

I am probably way overreacting and please tell me to shut the fuck up right now if I am. It's just that the sound of an imminent end to KAG development and ZERO mention of what we really need.

I don't know I guess it really isn't important. I hear Black Ops 2 is coming out soon, I guess we all have that to look forward to at least.

7. DUZ

DUZ Horde Gibber Tester

Water will occupy the entire map? What happens if I want the water on an specific part of the map? I can't do that?

8. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Contrary, I think you put that perfectly.
    That is something I have been trying to find, that is exactly true and you put that just right.
    Those are some mighty fine points and I would love to see what the devs think of what you are saying.
    You are not over-reacting to much and I think that especially your point on the players becoming good is perfectly valid.:thumbs_up:

9. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Yeah, balance archers.
    No class is totally overpowered at this moment, but lots of tweaking is neccesary.
    And hell, give players a easily modifiable game, and we'll reach 500+ hats in no time. (because everybody likes hats, and if you dont like hats, you are wrong)

Halosnake likes this.
  10. FG

FG Fran Donator

when the fire extinguishes will there be smoke rising up and will the wooden blocks turn black half way through burning because of the fire?

im guessing that after a few seconds the fire will just go away with no smoke.

The_Khan likes this.
  11. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Why is it that Contrary only starts complaining after the Devs say that they're working on lots of the new stuff too. The blog says that they still will work on getting rib of bugs and stuff but also that they're adding new stuff too. Why can't you just be glad that they actually made this game. At least they actually try their best to please as much people as they can. Go easy on them.

FliesLikeABrick likes this.
  12. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

He is just pointing out what he wants to see and what is important.
    He is glad that they made this game, he is just trying to get his point across.
    I don't think you understood completely his post.
    I also know for a fact you don't get to play the game often, so you wouldn't understand. (As well)

Dark_Ham likes this.
  13. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Oh well, to me it looked like he was complaining about how little the devs are fixing the game. They are only normal humans like us. (@Contrary) If you think they are that super human to get that much done so quickly than why not do it yourself?

14. JsF

JsF Shopkeep Stealer

There is something about the water that doesnt quite fit in with the whole view. I think, my opinion here, that it should also "dissapear" from the screen (no blue watter) when it is infront of the darkened areas/dirt. It would give a much more lake-like appereance to the water that is actually visible, and not be seen as a HUD blue bar that is covering the bottom of the screen... I dont know if i get myself clear here, but a pic is worth more than a thousand posts ;)[​IMG]

DrZaloski, AdrianC, Noburu and 18 others like this.
  15. Miauw62

Miauw62 Shipwright

Yeah, i agree on that. Water should only appear in empty squares and squares that have water next to them.
    Tough its probably planned

Halosnake, delankski and Ghozt like this.
  16. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

Sorry for my flaming everyone. Even if the water is still at that level when mining I'll still be really happy if it at least disappeared when it got the places where we shouldn't see it. Like it shows in the picture above.

17. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

Well sorry, it was the thing i was waiting for and what was the seller for me. Didn't give a damn about zombies (i think the world has enough zombie games , movies, shirts, shows) But yeah It would of been awesome to see it actually implemented, idk geti can we at least have server side mods.

Noc likes this.
  18. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

Server side mods and things like that are going to be implemented.
    Not in the near future.
    If you also think about it, the idea was doomed from the start.
    KAG - noun - Faced paced action game with multiple game modes, that's how I see it, not;
    KAG - noun - A slowish' paced MMO with slow mechanics and wasted features.

The devs, from what I can collect want option 1.

Like I said server side mods and modding will come, just later, near the end of development, I was actually talking to some guys in IRC just recently about this topic especially jtgsz. (Sorry if I spelt your name wrong)
    1 post till 700!

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: water above: Yeah, that's vaguely how I want it to look too, but it's tricky to do without resorting to shaders or a crapload more geometry to render. It can't just take up the lighting because the lighting isn't a multiply layer or whatever, it's just vertex colours on the map and objects. The water has all of 8 vertices (-> renders about as fast as a tree, all things considered), if we increase that to the same number of divisions as the map, then it'll render more slowly (a concern for old/weak hardware, which seems to be a factor for about 40% of players). We might be able to do some smart geometry changes for dark places, the main issue as it stands is that if we just put water behind the foreground tiles, it appears even in full-dark caves underground. That's not what we want ;) hopefully we can find time for a workaround, though honestly I'm warming to the water as it stands ingame anyway.

Hokay, main chunk of this post:
    Contrary: Where did I say I wasn't going to polish combat? If you were ever in test build games/on test IRC, you'd see that we've done rounds on polishing the game as it stands, especially when Michal is working on something I can't help out with. If you're not a formal tester yet then wtf, PM me (thebonesauce as well) because I think we're still missing a few of the people I've wanted in there (this is not an invitation to anyone except those two to PM me asking for proper test access).
    A few changes I particularly want to see made to combat as it stands is the removal of clashing and an increase to the minimum fire time for archers (-> slower weak arrow spam), I may or may not have time for that in the coming week.
    Honestly, the reason those things haven't been fixed is because we have had quite a few other things to develop. If zombies was just a throwaway halloween mode (as it should have been, imo) then we would've had time for making those changes quickly through jan-march. However, it didn't work out that way. Knight combat feels about 80% better in test at the moment though, and archer fire-rate nerfs aren't gonna be that complex to add.

This direction change is about focussing on what makes KAG good now rather than on grand plans, fundamental changes and so on. I'm sorry if that didn't come across, but ffs read the previous devlog thread and that should be clear. Core development aim at the moment - finish the game, make it the best it can be as it stands. Fast paced, team castle-building killy-fighty psuedomedieval fun.

Also fwiw, I don't want you to be pacified by pretty baubles or w/e. Making heads is the least rewarding development task I ever have to perform, I sure as hell wouldn't mind not having to do it. If you're talking about wood blocks, then that's a pretty fundamental gameplay change and get your head on straight.

Either way, don't wall of text me about development and omg you're not going to do XYZ and then writing 800+ words in the vein of why not doing XYZ is so bad when I haven't stated that I'm not going to do XYZ, I've just explicitly stated that we're going to do ABCDE.

20. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Are you guys planning on making another game