1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dedicated server renters

Discussion in 'Server Hosting' started by MM, Jul 6, 2011.

1. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  2. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

Is it a good hosting ? I want to rent a 32 slots server for French people, so they can stop spamming the european servs' chats with french messages :D

Gofio likes this.
  3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Umm, THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH, the French speakers are really bothering me I try to speak to some of them and they just continue to rattle on in French.

Gofio likes this.
  4. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

If you're going for a server for French people, try to rent one located in France to keep lag at minimum. As you can see Hosted Game Servers offer servers in US and Germany only. Germany is pretty close though, so not a bad choice either.

Gofio likes this.
  5. Neat

Neat King of the Dead Donator Tester

How do I find one for england?

Gofio likes this.
  6. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You would probably get a better deal by going to a company that rents generic hosting rather than hosting tailored to KAG.
    KAG is relatively easy to setup to host and doesn't use many resources.

Gofio likes this.
  7. kiro

The master IP address is wrong in the dedicated_autoconfig of Hosted Game Servers...

It should be "global n_master_ip = `78.46.112.151`;". If you rent their servers, edit it.

EDIT : I have sent a ticket to the support and they said they modified the file, so it should work now.

The server is really fine and cheap, mine is full and only use 30% of CPU and 10% of memory (well, that's what it says at least x)). 100 ping ! Yay !

8. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Great to hear that! I guess there is one thing we are better at than Minecraft :)

dedicated_autoconfig.gm variables are overwritten with config.gm variables. In config.gm there is a proper master server IP address.
    Config.gm is there because I sometimes need to update global configs for everyone. dedicated_autoconfig.gm never gets updated via auto-update.

Apronymous and Gofio like this.
  9. kiro

After 10 days of using Hosed Game Servers, I can say I'm not completly satisfied... the server crash often (twice a day on the average), which is annoying. I hope they're gonna fix their German servers soon :)

10. NEMS

NEMS Arsonist

Twice on a daily basis? that's not good at all, should find a more reliable host.

Gofio likes this.
  11. kiro

Well, last week it was more like 5 times a day, but during the last two days my 3 servers crashed maybe 2 times, so that's alright. Maybe that's thanks to the update ? Or they upgraded their servers :p

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Anyone tried their East Coast servers?

I'm curious as to whether this is worth the price ($4.00/mo for a small 10slot for friends or $8.00/mo for a 20slot O.o) or should I just go with a generic host? I'm considering setting up a small one myself for messing around with and such.

Gofio likes this.
  13. Uriah

Uriah Shipwright

Running my own server (not with this host), I've only had one crash in the last 3 days, I think it might have been an update though.

Gofio likes this.
  14. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

dont see my server in list and cant join :( server running

Gofio likes this.
  15. kiro

When I first launched the server it didn't work either. I had to edit some files and now it works, but I don't remember exactly what I did :p

You can try that :
    1) Upload the updated files from your KAG folder to the server

2) Look into config.gm, it has to be written :
    Code:
    global n_master_ip = `master.kag2d.com`;
    3) And in dedicated_autoconfig.gm :
    Code:
    global sv_ip = either `0` or `your server IP` (I think both work); // Server communication IP, this is where it listens for incoming clients. Set to 0 for automatic detection.
    global sv_port = 50301; // Server communication port, this is where it listens for incoming clients. Remember to open this port in your firewall.
    global cl_port = 50601; // Client communication port.
    global n_master_ip = `216.66.23.190`; // Master server IP address.
    global n_master_port = 51308; // Master server connection port.
    global sv_require_auth = 1; 
    global n_master_ip are different, but the one in config.gm overwrite the one in dedicated_autoconfig.

Gofio likes this.
  16. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

port changed and working now

Gofio likes this.
  17. kiro

What did you change exactly ? I know someone else who can't make his server works, maybe he has the same problem :)

Gofio likes this.
  18. AHrEJl

AHrEJl Shopkeep Stealer

im changed server port in dedicated_autoconfig.gm global sv_port = 50302; to global sv_port = 50311;

Gofio likes this.
  19. trelawney

trelawney KAG Guard Tester

Sounds like you were running more than one KAG server on the same interface and on default port. Can't expect it to work without changing ports.
    If you're hosting servers on a dedicated box with a single IP i can't think of another way of fixing it. (With more ipv4 addresses you could bind different servers to different IPs and use the default port for everyone)

Gofio likes this.
  20. kiro

Yeah I had the same problem with hostedgameserver (hgs), took a full week to figure it out :p
    Got 3 servers, the ports are 50301, 50302, and 50303, and it works.

BUT now my servers don't have the IP that is shown on the HGS panel.

The panel says the IP of my 20 slots server should be "178.162.131.49", and my 64 slots "178.162.191.102". But after changing the port, I have to connect to the 20 slots by using the 64 slots' IP (178.162.191.102), I just have to change the port to 50303.

Weird :s At first I thought the server didn't work because I was trying to connect using the IP provided by the HGS' panel.

Gofio likes this.