1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dev Peek: Boat and Room Art and Discussion

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Geti, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

Its War,not time to read books!

2. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Hey! I said the Libraries keep the "records" of everything you build.. so you dont have to upgrade every building you make said building. They already said that there's gonna be upgrades in this game. So having a library that lets you not have to keep upgrading your shops (a.k.a farming resources thus taking up time and possibly causing your team to die quite fast)

3. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I've an idea for the Library. Hear me out. An instant recall/placement for buildings.

The only way to do this, is to have it implemented in something like F5 (sort of like the same function as Screencapping) but it stores all material information down (such as doors, back wall, stone blocks, and so forth) and saves it in a book. This way once you go to the Library JUST for that portion of it, you can spend coins to buy the recall book, which instantly places the exact same building where you're standing, but it puts up a timer so that you can move, and if you don't move in time, it cancels the instant recall process.

In this situation, it'll still use the same amount of materials as was used when you hit F5 (as it counts it block by block), plus it uses coins, thus the only added benefit here is the speed in which it's used. This could easily help people whom have such small building phases to work with as well, plus it adds a sort of "strategical value" to it, when you save up buildings that you know will come in handy on other servers/rounds.

Secondly, have it store in your KAG folder, so you can send it to any server you want. But the only way to use it, is still to gather the materials. Thus you can share your creations with anyone, and allow building transfers from friend to friend/clan to clan.

Also, since there is no saved STATS, or items you can win based on your success, this could easily become a way to show people your skills. By the trading of blue print files, for Instant Recall.

Lastly, maybe the coins used to make the book differ based on the amount materials used. The only hard part I think here may be when it exceeds over 250 materials. Maybe the book STACKS materials together, so you can store them in, then make your recalled building.

I know this seems like a lot, but I just wanted to throw this idea out there to you.

Tell me what you think?
    </br>--- merged: Oct 31, 2012 6:27 AM ---</br>
    One other thing to add, is that it only stores the blocks SEEN on your screen, so if zoomed in, it stores what it see's then.

4. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

Wait what?
    You spend money and magic'ly a building apears infront of you?

Am i reading this wrong?
    People would just shuve resorses into a book then having to build it.
    and do that process...

5. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well the idea is that it's just a quicker way to build the building. You'll still need to gather the resources. Though it'd need to be coded so that it needs to have a minimum and maximum block count so as to not be spammed.

6. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

Yes I get what you mean but...
    Is it a real thing that can happen?

7. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You have to build first. Then Hit F5, then go to the book to create it, and then USE the item (like a bomb, and throw it in the area that you want it in, and it only works if there is enough open space.)

Not a real thing right now. It's why I suggested it. XD

MINIMAN likes this.
  8. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well my idea is the same Thia... just less harder to code.

9. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

No, your idea is about shops you don't have to upgrade. Mine is about actual buildings you make block by block. It's not the same thing at all.

10. D0ubl3Tr0ubl3

D0ubl3Tr0ubl3 Shopkeep Stealer

I agree the boats look cool but how does a library actually help in a war?

11. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Think... what do all wars have... history and sometimes blueprints to their machines or structures.
    Where does most of that info go... into a library somewhere. Like Rome for instance, they used to have libraries full of machine blueprints,, attack formation instructions... just so no one forgets. Without that they would have lost.
    My idea for a library in this game is quite simple... just build something, upgrade several times and when your done record said building by grabbing a book from the library for 20 gold and push R over the upgraded building and bam.. no need to upgrade again. All you need is the resources that was used for that upgrade.
    Quite easy to understand. :3

12. lukepop

lukepop Arsonist

so you're saying that your idea is the first time you upgrade that building to a new lvl and it saves it but it takes to resources to get the technology so then if you buy the book you can just build it at the new lvl straight away...
    Cool I idea but what about it an item and you call your book something and you can write books about an enemy structure or player (war is supposed to take a long time) and then book go in your inventory as a resource so enemies can capture your books and learn about your team and buildings and their weaknesses.

13. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

These strategies involving libraries, recording buildings, levelling buildings, capturing books to find enemy weaknesses would be great in real life or in a slow pased war game, but Kag is neither of those. Its gameplay is fast and sometimes unpredictable. I can see people sitting in their libraries making books on structures and suddenly realising that there flag has been taken by the other team. Be realistic, is a long drawn out ctf game where everyone makes books about structures and levels up towers for ages before eventually attacking going to be any fun? No it isnt. Also these ideas are again overcomplicating things and moving away from one of kags key elements, simplicity. I know that they are just suggestions but think about wheather they would actually be good in a game situation.

14. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

To be fair WAR mode is all about a slower pace of game, longer rounds involving teching up is the whole point of the new build. Some of those suggestions might be a bit much, but WAR mode will certainly be a bit more complex then classic.

FuzzyBlueBaron and KnightGabe13 like this.
  15. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

More features = Slow game pace
    Less features = Faster game pace

I personally prefer more features and slower gameplay, because what is the point of building awesome castles and just getting them ruined seconds later, slower pace, more planning involved about attacking, preparations. With plenty of fast paced games we already have around, a slower paced game is a nicer sight, I don't like to think of KAG as a fast paced game for mindless drones who can't do simple tactics like trying to help each other,mostly it's slashing each other with one click of a mouse which isn't fun, it's not the main point.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  16. D0ubl3Tr0ubl3

D0ubl3Tr0ubl3 Shopkeep Stealer

Ok thanks for that helpful info.

Kouji this not irrelevant!

17. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I think there's still a place for KAGs fast gameplay but played in a thoughtful manner, watching some of that clan war footage from the other day highlighted that the current mechanics can still spawn a good game if there aren't too many players. Too many players and even the worst designed castles can keep out enemies as long as there's enough stone heaped on them. I thought that setup of 5vs5 with 1 archer and builder was perfect, less players, no starting resources and a bit of class restriction made for a much better game. Builders had to be much more careful with their resources, and without masses of stone smaller structures could be vaulted by knights, heaped on top of each other or with clever use of terrain. Also having limited amounts of builders meant they had to be protected alot more then in the average game, if the builder died then that gave a hug window of opportunity to the other team. Currently not the case since nearly half the team on a big game are builders and they 're infinitely adding to their mega structures, or if playing offensively is usually a pretty long battle to overcome an enemy structure so death is rarely that much of a set back.

I could go on but you get the point, all I'm hoping is that defence can be strong in war mode, as to make rounds long and attacks have to be well thought out, all I'm hoping is there's all offensive potential to have strong defence not be overpowered, I'd like to see a tower siege be something that was approached less by simply rushing as many bodies as possible at it until you could ladder over. It'd also be good if castle defence had more to it then simply camping with archers and catas. I'm sure the devs have got plenty of good plans when it comes to this, especially since stuff like team bridge/door ladders were planned for removal a little while back, so obviously that would fundamentally change how defences were built, whether that's still happening or not fuck knows though, got alot of trust in the devs to come up with something good, and the community to smooth out what they think needs smoothing outafter release when the devs don't have time to work further on KAG.

18. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

Cadbury likes this.
  19. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Understandable... thats your opinion, I cant change it.
    To be frank... these ideas I sometimes post are for both the Devs and the Modders. So this doesnt have to be added to the game... just something any modder can use freely if need be.

Now to make this a bit simpler... you dont have to get a book when you build the said workshop. Instead a peice of paper (a.k.a blueprint) will appear near said building. All you gotta do is pick it up and bring it to a libary and store it inside. Nothing too time consuming.
    And to make it a bit less stupid.. you can choose to have a blueprint created by just pressing a certian buttion while standing near said workshop and poof... blueprint.

I must agree.. all war modes should be longer... only way that could happen is if the price of bombs is slightly higher... or there has to be unlimited units. Unlimited units is the only way to prolong a single match... then again matches can last for hours.. xD

20. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Still some good ideas, just think some of them are a bit complex for the average server. With regards to round times that will ultimately come down to how castles have to be designed in the new build more then anything I would have thought, stuff like bombs been more expensive wouldn't necessarily have to come into it cos bombs might not even do that much damage to stone (personally I don't think it does that much now) One thing I would like to see be pretty universal though is for the terrain to withstand bombs a bit more though, if we're gonna have long rounds I'd rather the whole map didn't get chewed up so easily by them. I think the minecrafting element of the game will probably prolong rounds too, ultimately since war mode will work so differently we're gonna have to wait to hear how it's gonna pan out first anyway, cos it seems like there's gonna be alot of changes to the basic flow of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.