1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Diablo III vs. Torchlight II

Discussion in 'Other games' started by DrZaloski, Apr 3, 2012.

?

Are you more excited for Diablo III or Torchlight II?

1. Diablo III

50.0%
  2. Torchlight II

50.0%
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

I just noticed that there is no thread comparing Blizzards' Diablo III to Runic Games' Torchlight II, so I'd thought I'd go ahead myself

I'll just start by saying I'm overall more excited by Torchlight II. After playing Torchlight, the memories of Diablo II came rushing back in such a glorious way, and without Max Schaefer, I worry that Diablo 3 won't be the Diablo game Torchlight II will be. Not to mention that Torchlight II will be cheaper and has a much more computer-friendly graphics engine (although for the graphics Diablo III pulled off, its amazing I'll probably be able to run it).

I just sorta wanted to hear the KAGs communities opinions, and I wanted to avoid a bias caused by asking this on either the Diablo III forums or the Torchlight II forums.

2. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

By the looks of it i'll probably end up trying both. People are really hyped up about diablo 3, and i already have it preordered (as do a few of my friends). If torchlight 2 will be affordable enough, i'll probably have to check it out too (although i was not too impressed by torchlight 1, so not 100% sure on this).

3. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Already pre-ordered Diablo 3, never played Torchlight because I never seen that game. I'll try both too because this game seem pretty nice. But I like beautiful graphics, so I prefer Diablo.

4. Chayeh

Chayeh Shopkeep Stealer

Torchlight is good, but Diablo is a much deeper game in gameplay terms. Torchlight doesn't really lend its self to replays though torchlight 2 will probably fix this.

5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

re: torchlight - im more interested in the soundtrack than the game. Matt Uelmen~

6. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Torchlight didn't merit a replay? I clocked in over 100 hours into that goddamn game, playing as many different builds I could muster, and playing on all the difficulties. I played that game more vanilla Diablo II, and I think I enjoyed it more. Of course, Lord of Destruction changes all of that, seeing how that was such a stellar expansion, also the lack of multiplayer and the fact there was only on town and no over world really hurt the near perfect Torchlight. But with both of those fixed in Torchlight 2, it's really hard to resist. Also they just released the pet plans, which is something Diablo III will lack. I also don't really like that Blizzards really whoring out on Diablo III's in-game market, but hey, it's Blizzard, what did I expect?

Also Torchlight II will be $20, just like Torchlight. A lot more attractive then Diablo IIIs' $60. I'll buy both regardless, though.

7. dnmr

oh yeah, it was the Fate'ish aftertaste that made torchlight feel a bit nasty for me. Fate was kinda full of cheese, which gives me bad associations

8. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

I'm looking froward to Torchlight 2 more than Diablo 3 just because I already know that Blizzard dishes out high quality games. I'm curious on how Torchlight 2 fairs out. Torchlight was more of a modern clone for Diablo. You're just in one town and there is only one dungeon that has a massive amount of levels. You go deeper and deeper until you meet Diablo. Same concept with Torchlight.

Blizzard is known for their in-game lores. They are deep and detailed. I have the Book of Cain from Diablo 3 and they have details on multiple Angels besides Tyrael. The same is for the demons.

I could say that Torchlight is heading the same direction, like Diablo 1, since the lore is there but it is focused on that specific event and on that specific area. Torchlight 2 will hopefully feed my need for lore about the world they exist in.

Note: I don't like to compare these 2 games just because after playing Torchlight, Runic Games have done justice to make it stand out as a game even though it had similar mechanics and overall feel with Diablo. I will not base my personal judgement on Torchlight 2 with Diablo 2.

9. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Hold on, i thought everyone thought Diablo III was shit...

Wait, TORCHLIGHT II?

10. Chayeh

Chayeh Shopkeep Stealer

Oh yeah, don't think I'm bagging on the game. I'm sure torchlight 2 will be great

11. tur1sta

tur1sta Random snippet here ಠ__ಠ Donator

Diablo 3 is the shit. From what I've seen in the beta videos, it can only get better. I'm curious on how the auction house pans out for the public.

Yep, Torchlight 2 might come out shortly after Diablo 3

12. dnmr

NECROPOST.
    Just wanted to say that i'm enjoying TL2 right now. Preordered it in a 4-pack back in summer, so each copy cost about 14€.

That game is much less "serious" than D3 and quite a bit more fun imo. It allows for pretty ridiculous stuff, but still punishes you if you play stupid. With some luck and proper skill selection you can get on blasting shit like no tomorrow. I managed to put a lv14 cannon on my level 4 engineer, and it was mad sick :flex: Then we found a stats enchanter somewhere around level 13 and i managed to equip a lv53 cannon i bought on a higher level character... Add a lucky enchant on it and this is what you get (char level ~20): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22586400/screens/TL2/2012-11-11_00002.jpg

OP things aside though, the hit detection is much less insane than in D3, and i like it a whole lot. You won't get hit if you are five meters away from the enemy or a projectile. That stuff was just irritating in D3 :/

PS: i stopped playing D3 around act2 inferno when i was playing it in summer. Playing TL2 on elite

13. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

There's a nice comparison of Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3 done from the standpoint of TL2:

dnmr likes this.
  14. dnmr

agreed on all points except for the permanent skill/stat point assignment.

First of all the skill selection is pretty dam weak. Taking my last attempt at playing engineer as an example, you don't really need anything but the blast cannon skill. It has knockback from the cannon itself, stun from cannon and heavy lifting skill, tons of damage and blind from the blast skill. You can pick up another cannon skill later on, but i can't see why anyone would do that. You will have invested a lot of points into blast cannon by the time you unlock the rockets, so it seems completely pointless. If someone got far enough in the game to test it out, feel free to correct me. But even if you do realize that it's better than blast cannon, it will mean that your skill points have gone to waste. Maybe it's better for single enemies, but there are almost no situations where you'd want to deal lots of damage to a single target. Maybe in boss fights, but bosses always summon craploads of minions, and you want to take them out to avoid getting swarmed, so AOE damage is always welcome. I also briefly tried out spider mines, and they were actually pretty good. But they are slow to cast and again, i can't see a situation where they would be preferred to cannons.

I also have a level 42 outlander who has been doing fine all the way up to act 3 sawmill boss. I get surrounded and utterly annihilated by the werewolves. Guess i should have invested into blade pact or whatever, but it's too late to reassign points now. The character is pretty much botched. Of course i could farm me some more skill points and pick a few defensive skills, but that's tedious grind all over again.

All in all, the biggest problem is that you have no idea how your build will fare later on in the game. Once the game starts throwing different enemy combinations at you, your build might become completely obsolete. It's usually not as bad when you play with other people, because optimally you will have different characters playing different roles, but very often you'll have to start a new character to fix your build. It's just more frustration.

All in all, i must say i liked D3's skill system a whole lot, but it's quite bad otherwise :p Sure, they added a new monster power system, and made mobs not reset their HP if you leave the location, but it still feels very wrong.
    </br>--- merged: Nov 26, 2012 10:08 AM ---</br>
    a little update since we have played a few four player games in torchlight 2. The game has some very annoying bugs caused presumably by desync. Be prepared for constant crashes, insane loading times, invisible somethings killing you out of nowhere and bosses reanimating after death and also killing you ._.
    Oh, and bugged quests because of arsewangfuck retarded quest system.
    </br>--- merged: Nov 26, 2012 11:23 AM ---</br>
    aaaalso, TL2 is now on sale. -50% on steam

Razi likes this.
  15. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yes a lot of us largely gave up on playing the game mostly due to this. We never managed more than two people connected together stable for any meaningful length of time.
    </br>--- merged: Nov 26, 2012 5:10 PM ---</br>

Also at this point after having played too many multiplayer games, I almost exclusively prefer multiplayer games to single player ones. I know sometimes you get the fuckwads you have to play with but I like the dynamics of non computer controlled people. I find most singleplayer games somewhat taxing to play anymore. I dare say FTL and Hotline Miami are the ONLY two singleplayer games I actually finished in the last year (maybe even two years).

Razi and dnmr like this.
  16. aroh

aroh Builder Stabber

Let's not forget the ridiculous "always online" crap Blizzard is implementing in every game they make nowadays...
    There's times when my ISP decides to be a jerk and I can spend a whole week with no internet or dialup speed internet... When that happens I won't be able to play my $60 dollar game... :argh:
    I for one skipped on D3 and got Torchlight 2, cheaper and more efficient for my personal use.

Also all of my friends that went with the D3 hype and got it on release date stopped playing after 3-4 months...

17. dnmr

true, TL2 wins teh single player aspect. But the multiplayer is horrendous...

same here.. ): Looks like i'll need to go back to tribes to start having fun again :>:(:

18. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

I don't see why anyone should replay a campaign more than X times, thus it's only logical you stop playing after X months.

I have played Diablo 3 myself and I've heard they made it better since it first came out. (I played from the start). Yes, I stopped after 1-2 months but I do feel the urge to play again, since it's quite fun actually, especially if you play with friends.

I don't know about Torchlight 2 since I've not played it but I guess you can say both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

19. aroh

aroh Builder Stabber

The duels and the item hunting gave Diablo 2 huge replay value I played that game for 5 years...

Mods: BlueLuigi