1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Opinion: No future for custom maps.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I filter out vanilla servers #yolo

UnnamedPlayer likes this.
  2. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I have a solution.

Two solutions actually.

1. Create a category for players to submit their custom maps to. Every update a few maps are selected by a community vote to be put into the game. This gives server owners a constantly increasing arsenal of maps to choose from that have already been chosen as maps liked by the community. Because server owners can decide which maps from the list they would like to have on the server, it still allows servers to be different from the others.

2. Create a category for players to submit their custom maps to. But instead of only allowing a few maps to be selected and put into the game, each map is screened and if considered OK, can be used on a server without the server being now considered custom.

For both these solutions, a video demonstrating the map, and a picture of the entire map would be required for entry. This way maps can be quickly screened before anyone has to test to see if they work. This would allow for a speedy decision on maps.

Servers now are no longer thrust into the modded server category. And the more the community can be active in the creation of the game the better.

The problem with allowing servers with custom maps to be no longer considered modded servers is that if a server has maps that drastically change the way the game is played, players could no longer filter the servers with those maps out.

3. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

There is no fear for custom maps, there is just no good way of telling what's a map file change and what's a sprite mod (both are png files), or what's a mapcycle change and what's a blob config mod (both are valid config files). Furthermore as I said, we can't have people changing the default map cycles or they will be patched over each version and we'll hear constant complaints :^)

We might need to add some special cases if this isn't working, but I'll have to talk with the Aus admins about any corner cases you have to address - as I said those servers have custom maps and still show up under vanilla servers (like any changes inside maps/ are ok, but files inside maps/ can't be loaded as blob images or something).

Yet another flipside is that we're going to be turning off the vanilla only filter automatically for players who've played for at least 3 days quite soon, it's next on the todo list after getting this fix patch out.

Again: I do not worry at all about people hosting custom maps, nor do I want anyone to have to perform any server validation bullshit to get their maps into pub play.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A note from the aus host:

Instead of using a mapcycle.cfg at all, he prefers to just point autoconfig at a folder (eg Maps/active ) and let it do its thing from there. Something to note is that this isn't recursive, so if you point it at Maps/active and you have Maps/active/community it will not play the ones inside the community folder, but apparently works like a charm otherwise. @Leo you may wish to try this.

Leo and Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants like this.
  6. Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants

Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants Insanity Incarnate Donator

Thank you so much Geti! Going to try this on a server later. *hugs of doom* ::P:

Geti likes this.
  7. Leo

Leo Haxor

Wow, that's something new. I'll test it later.
    *Well, it works and thanks for the tip as it's really the most easy way to do it. However it doesn't remove the problem of flagged server. I'll wait for the update you mentioned in your post Geti ::):

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Geti and Klokinator like this.
  8. Geti

No worries, I'll make sure it's prioritised for next build.

-Q, BanakaI1 and Joiken like this.