1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Do Builders take skill?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xXDaemonXx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Acavado

Acavado KAG Guard Tester

This isn't Minecraft.

Noburu likes this.
  2. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

If you're serious about this, then you have no idea what you're doing as a builder. You must be one of these autistic tunnel diggers.

I've seen a lot of builder making roofs on everything lately, I HATE that, roof on a spike-pit, roof from the first tower to the flag tower etc. Why on earth would you give the enemy free access to your next building. Yes they will get on your roof for sure! (not even starting about the builders that start digging at your flag and keep digging until they see an enemy, perfect tunnel, for the enemy)
    I prefer builders doing nothing quite a lot.

I don't hate most builders though, although they will hear a constant "Build a bombworkshop!" when they keep moving the outpost forward without making a new shop.
    Some people wont understand that a knight without bombs is as useful as a builder without resources. You can hop around and kill some but you're not doing shit, since you're waiting in front of an enemy tower half of the time.

3. Wolffkran

Wolffkran Horde Gibber

They take intelligence and reasoning skills.

4. MechaTrickster

MechaTrickster Banned Donator

I dig spike pits and ditches so yes you're right :c

5. potatomcwhiskey

potatomcwhiskey Undercover Griefer Donator Tester

Downburst nails it. You saw it here first folks.

Boxpipe likes this.
  6. Mouse

Mouse Shipwright

If all builders just stopped building doors at ground level (on the side facing the enemy, at least) you would instantly double the average skill of builders in KAG. Stop door hallways and you've got triple skill.

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

And (not to have a go at the developers or anything cos they're doing a pretty fucking awesome job so far) those are two things that you could easily explain the drawbacks of in a comprehensive tutorial. If you has a section in the tutorial somewhere (hopefully one dedicated to applying all the things you learn in a more basic building tutorial) where you have a a tower with 10 doors in it explain how much wood it takes to build and ask them to think about how long it just took to get through that door, then have one with just a couple and make your point. Could do that with pretty much all the pretty much objectively bad habits of builders, just simply mock up that element of bad design and proceed with one that is much better.

8. L-III-III-7

L-III-III-7 Shopkeep Stealer

yes.. i watch builders with no skill ruin my structures all the time

9. Parity

Parity Shipwright

I thought that builders takes skill so I avoided becoming a builder until I familiarized myself with a few types of towers (e.g. tower with archer spots, team door/stone climbing tower) and usually just end up making one of those during start build time and then just go archer for the rest of the game, I didn't get any complaints so I think I'm on the right track. :)

10. BindNation

BindNation Bison Rider

Building... takes skill and lots and lots of practice.

11. amuffinattack

amuffinattack Bison Rider

I would say stone bridges....door hallways are at least somewhat effect in keeping them out, all be it annoying for the team where stone bridges are free ways in and out. : /

Being a good builder isn't too hard, you just need to understand game mechanics and what needs to be done at that time in that place. Reading the forums would help almost all new players right away, thought most don't(can't judge to harshly, i didn't :P). Being a great builder takes a good chunk of skill, being quick, effect, simple in layout with good management of mats. When i see a great builder i will die for that guy, builders can do more damage than any 5 knights when it comes to getting into bases.

12. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Builders take IMMENSE skill. I have a lot of respect for those dudes, being able to pull together resources very quickly and building some interesting defenses... Then again...

I just played for a little over an hour (actually captured the enemy flag in one game!) and some of the builders... Infuriated me. They don't listen to any sort of criticism or direction, they spend the ENTIRE GAME fucking around in the base area... Example. The knights immediately broke through their initial defenses and hit them before the builders could make any walls to keep us at bay. There was a rather long and arduous spike trap protecting the main castle, LITERALLY all we needed was a bridge. Where were the builders? Making huge, inefficient archer towers, incredibly long and one stone deep (easily destroyed with a catapult) on the other end of the map. I called for a builder for about 5-10 minutes before we finally decided to tunnel under... Thankfully their builders weren't too smart either and were tunneling under the base already, which made it kinda easy to let us in and grab the flag. After we had it, they didn't stand a chance.

I can definitely see the distinction between a casual and an actual BUILDER. I saw one structure on the last game I was playing (before I ragequit because the other team resorted to teleporting and shit) that was about 7 blocks high, must have been what you guys call a door tunnel, and was the most eclectic, useless thing I've ever seen.

And to whoever said a knight without bombs is useless... I beg to differ!

13. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

Hey ! I make stone bridge ! And sometimes it f**king useful, sure I would call it griefing if a builder make a stone bridge in our base, but it make sense went it is constructed above the enemy spike pit in view to reach their castle. Maybe I'm wrong, but it works well.

I play nearly always as a builder, and I'm not Acavado or Strathos. It is really hard to build a decent castle before the beginning of the fight, if you're not well trained, you don't know what to build, and quick enough, with all this builder spamming ground level team door and everything, and a lot of builder don't know that there are unlimited resources in the tent, so they dig for stone and cut trees...

Sure we need builder to build decent defense, but we also need, and maybe more, offensive builder. When I started to play, I always stayed behind, constructing skybridge, bottomless spike pit, and useless castle. But then while playing more and more, and reading post on the forum, I discovered that, what we lack most is not defensive builder, but offensive builder.

Yah, what rox the most, is builder in the front line, building fast tower 2 or 3 blocks wide and 5 blocks high in view to save the team advance, and most important, building bridge above enemy trap, putting ladder, destroying castle, digging under their defense.
    And drop stone over knight trying to make ladder with their shield is so funny !

The builder are too often behind, it's not minecrafting ! Yes, knights don't protect you always, you are weak, you die 10 times because of bomb, arrows, sword, etc. before taking this tower, but it worth it.

I've just one thing to say, for all the builder : BE FEARLESS, RUTHLESS AND UNSTOPPABLE !

Strathos and Birdman159 like this.
  14. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Stone bridges are useful if you can use them to rush a skybridge and take it quickly and cut it off from your opponent by reverse engineering it, but otherwise they're pretty much always a way for the enemy to get to you somehow.