1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Door Logic

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Contrary, Nov 25, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

So I finally got one of my RL friends to play our silly game but every time we go on we always fight someone who builds a big tree farm and spams doors everywhere. It's OK for me since I just bomb jump over it but my friend notes its pretty dumb since they can't break through it very easily and doors can be spammed everywhere.

So he suggested that doors only work when adjacent to a wall tile, which I think is a pretty reasonable suggestion. Door spam is actually pretty powerful for how little work//time/skill it requires.

2. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Even knowing how to bomb jump I still find myself frustrated by it at times. I approve of this so long as doors remain breathing apparatuses when submerged in water.

3. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Yeah doors can be too easily spammed and it gets out of hand pretty often. It would make sense to only have them work when, you know, they're actually set in a wall. I've never opened door stacked on another door stacked on another door stacked... well you know a door wall would be pretty silly XD.

In any case, I don't think that strat is OP though, but it is annoying. All you have to do is fire one measly fire arrow and that sea of doors burns to the ground. Kudos for archers! :)

4. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Door spam is hard to get through on your own team sometimes. Builders sometimes change the dirrection that it is facing which cause you to have to jump at different angles to open them. I would love to see the good ol' classic doors again, where you could get through them at any angle without having to jump around to get through.

Of course there were problems with that, especially when you weren't trying to go through a door. You then fall, die, and restart the cycle all over again.

Getting back on topic.

Having doors have to be set when there is a wall could cause a hassle for your builders to put them up. In some cases you need a door right then and there or you could lose a flag or a base. I don't know if having a wall as the restriction for building doors would be the way to go. Maybe only allowing for X amount of doors to be attached without a wall nearby would work. Less spam, but doesn't get rid of it.

5. rip offensive builder

Hawxx likes this.
  6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Sadly I think he died long ago. So young, so young!

On topic, I don't think its a bad idea per se, but how would the game handle the checking, especially if the blocks the door is attached to are destroyed? It seems it would need a lot of the door checking its neighboring tiles.

16th likes this.
  7. nobody told me that so ive been playing this way :(

8. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Will its rule could simply be a restriction. Similarly to the ladders restricted only on backwall or attached to another ladder. You can only place a door if its next to either : a wood block or a stone block. This prevent players from :
    1- Building door towers/blockades
    2- Spamming doors all over the backwall everywhere

If a door is no longer adjacent to a block, well, nothing happens.

9. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I don't know any code stuff but don't tiles already check neighbouring tiles all the time for collapses and sprite changes?

10. ffsff

ffsff Haxor

Maybe you can have it where wood doors can only be placed up to something like 5 doors whatever way it is rotated. And make it so doors cannot support other doors only on the side that is the longest.

Probably making it so doors have a background that is non-functional so it cannot act as a support to other doors.

Mods: Rainbows