1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Downburst's Recommended Banlist of Ne'er-Do-Wells

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Downburst, May 6, 2012.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

I didn't say it was right, I said it was understandable, given what KAG used to be and what it was turned into, despite the fact that I don't really find it 'fun', I can see how some might, if it was never fun to start with it wouldn't be.

Most of them will probably fuck off once combat gets better and then such a rule will work out nicely as it will filter the people that I've seen crop up on these lists that I know played legitimately good before and never griefed or any of that other shit. There's also always the problem of you know, the game being very subjective in terms of what is or isn't griefing, especially to new players but also to simply 'silly' players. While a good chunk of us fully understand what is griefing or not and that the tower you just took from the enemy can go to great purpose and you are more than halfway done converting it, they can't get back up and it is basically yours, the guy next to you might think "well golly the enemy made it, I guess I'll break it", and I've dealt with that kind of stuff a lot too, while many overarching definitions for 'griefing' have been thrown out there, none truly convey all forms of it without going outside of what it is or being vague on the borders.

2. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

My apologies, I assumed understandable as in "I know where they're coming from, it's not objectionable", rather than "Clinically speaking children lash out when they receive negative feelings because they don't know how to process them".

Also, remember we had many griefers in the 190 years too.

For the tower conversion example, the rule of thumb "don't break your teams stuff" still applies, if your team is now using it.

3. BlueLuigi

I do understand where they are coming from, and it is not completely objectionable.

It is sort of like someone taking you from your beautiful house and putting you in an insane asylum and being mad when you lash out.

Or hell, if you take away a child's ice cream and give him broccoli and be mad when he cries.

Some people take this sort of complete removal of something fun for no intentional purpose quite well, others don't. Instead of being all "Act like I want because 100% of people can act this way clearly because I do and there is no such thing as people who feel other ways or react differently", some people will do it, and in this case it is indeed understandable, the difference is some people don't want to understand.

Yes we had griefers in the 190 years, and those were quite different, there was no removal that made the game literally terrible. There are very few games now to play outside of KAG as most games coming out this year are blunders, so you can't just say come back in 2 months when it's fun again.

In any case, 'don't break your teams stuff', still as I stated is vague, if it helps your team by killing someone it is not griefing.

4. Beef

The failure in comparison there being you can leave at any time. The child comparison is more accurate, but it's less being mad because he's crying, and more annoyed because he's smearing his shit on the wall and trying to get the other children to eat his shit. Understanding the psychology behind it doesn't even come close to justifying it.

Especially considering you yourself know very well the devs in question actually listen to their playerbase, when they make recommendations and suggestions in intelligent, well written critique ways.

Lashing out at others in game is purely selfish.

Edit; Aw man editing stuff in after I writ up mine.

I don't understand your point. You're saying the griefers from when the game was good were just jerks, but the griefers now have their reasons? Naw. Frustrated griefers were there then. They'd get annoyed their losing or that their team sucks and grief. Babby tier griefers have always been here.

In regards the there being nothing else, bullhonkey. Unless this is a subtle jab that most griefers are filthy AAA game playing console peasants, in which case I applaud you. There are still a ton of amazing games out there.

There are exceptions to every rule, but for every time someone collapsed a tower or bridge to kill the enemy, I have several where it's done with no enemy under it, and the person claiming "lol thought there was xD". As a rule of thumb it's sound.

BlueLuigi and Contrary like this.
  5. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Griefing (verb)
    Committing an act which brings sadness or mental despair to your teammates

Ghozt likes this.
  6. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

It also honestly depends what is the intention of team tower destruction. I personally alter or destroy towers which kills my own team members by fall damage. I personally inherit the golden rule of the <V> clan, being "if it hinders the team, we shall fix it." On the other hand I've had Hoj explaining to me how frustrating it is for a mole admin to freeze him for defending his own tower from idiots. Scenarios like this is unraveled when an idiot last night was catapulting the tower Hoj built for his own team and as a result, he threw the catapult away and got frozen. Of course he'll throw around cusses and tantrums, but that's because he got frozen for the wrong reason. I often feel that admins lack the ability to observe and investigate, and most of the time they simply follow the dull perception of what looks wrong to them, although one knows there's always a reason for such actions to be conducted whether it comes from a player with a bad intention or not.

AnRK, WarrFork and BlueLuigi like this.
  7. BlueLuigi

By that definition telling my teammate that his mother died and I'm the doctor who just saw her is griefing.
    By that definition telling my teammate to fuck off is griefing.
    By that definition trolling my teammate is griefing.
    By that definition anyone but Contrary is griefing because they always bring me sadness when they do not win within 5 seconds.

Vague.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Okay there guys the definition of griefing is a whole 'nother shitcan. Let's try to focus on one thing at a time here. Definitely an important issue but let's try to keep the conversation focused, this is also an important topic that doesn't need to be obfuscated in semantics.

Anyways I think the important thing to understand here is that this isn't being imposed on anyone, it's purely the server owner's choice to use this or not. It doesn't matter that your personal philosophy is that a person shouldn't be denied ice cream in Poland for crying in Rome; all that's relevent is the decision made by the server owner. If I had any servers I wouldn't want any known griefers/assholes on my servers, and is perfectly within my right to blacklist whoever I like. This is merely a tool, a filter that shows people who have met a specific requirement without value judgement on the part of the list maker. I can't see how this is ethically wrong, it's just reporting the facts.

One objection I have to this list is the removal of people based on popular opinion. I can understand Downburst situation here with a dozen people all waahing at him, but the list has more integrity when it maintains objective non-judgement based specifications.

9. Beef

No one has ever been banned from Mole for handling things calmly, and stating their case, is all I'll say to this.

Also, in regards idiots being idiots, taking justice into your own hands is not something that will end well. If you see something like that, inform an admin or guard (we usually have a few of each on the server apart from during Auss peak hours), tell them what's happening, and let them deal with it.

Raging and griefing is not an acceptable response, not only because it ruins everyones' fun, but because it's not the slightest bit effective.

I'll also note you said "frozen", not banned, which is exactly what that function is for; freezing all suspected parties until the truth comes to light, even if the truth is no one knows and you let everyone go.

10. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

tl;dr

The reason you haven't seen tiffou in a while is because he's been globally banned for speedhacking btw.

The list has been updated again.

# UniversalBlacklist version 8

BlueLuigi likes this.
  11. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

My point is, some people will be frustrated if they got frozen, and you are in no position to condemn them for doing so if they were implying an action regarding a greater good.

The discussion shall continue since I'm still on the list looking like a bad-ass villain.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  12. Fellere825

Oh well I tried to make it all encompassing. In essence griefing is to cause grief. So if your mother died and someone kept on telling you she died while playing KAG I'd call it griefing mainly because what douche of a doctor plays KAG after their patient dies? It's pretty much just annoying the hell out of people. Anywho I tried to fit everything into an "all encompassing" definition you wanted :( lol

I don't really get why we are arguing about a list that was voluntarily posted and that doesn't represent anything other then who has had multiple reports of abuse... :/ in the end of the day just talk with the people in charge and you'll get your stuff fixed. It is not like everyone is a power hungry dictator who wont listen to someone's plee for help. We know the system is flawed so if you felt wronged just appeal and someone will take care of it. (sigh we need robocop here... Someone kidnap shad we'll use his body.)

Technically Downburst could have just pm'd all of the known server owners and then no one would have been pissed. It would have been an ignorant is bliss type of deal. At least he posted a list publicly so you can contest this list and be on your merry way. And this list is about individuals with multiple reports on multiple occasions. From the looks of things the guys on this list are those who have been globally banned and after the expiration started to grief (tell people they were doctors who watched your mom die) again.

Ps. sorry your about your mum bud I think you should find a better doctor who doesn't spend their spare time playing an online game right after their patients have died

BlueLuigi likes this.
  13. BlueLuigi

She had a heart attack you bastard.

Also yeah, the problem is that unless you get very very technical there is no good definition of griefing, but people will continue to simply say 'no griefing' or 'griefing is not allowed'. I don't have an answer as far as a definition, but I also don't simply throw out the term griefing, I do go with my eye like others, because that's all you can do in the end, but if it's somewhere that is borderline consider it brinksmanship and attempt to be more understanding in this sense, not everything is black and white despite the fact that many people see it that way, nothing can cause more damage than only seeing black and white in a world full of color. :)

(Unless you brought his mom back to life just to kill her again, but I'm not some sick fuck)

Fellere825 likes this.
  14. Fellere825

I feel you bro I'm yellow (Asian). World of color win. :p

BlueLuigi likes this.
  15. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

Maybe talk about that problem in a convo.. ?

BlueLuigi and Downburst like this.
  16. Beef

Good idea. Thread pruned from when freezing became the main topic than as an aside of the list.

If anyone would like to continue the discussion, pm's or a new thread (if you want those posts in a new thread pm me or one of the other mods to move the deleted posts there) would be the best choice.

17. BlueLuigi

Holy shit I literally missed this entire post somehow.
    They aren't throwing shit at the wall, that would be more akin to speedhacking or something else.
    They are getting their fun from someone else, bullying cause the other kid can still find enjoyment in this broken toy that they threw back at us.
    Geti does but he seemed busy, not so sure about the other one for quite some time, even then I've been shouting (and one of the few things I don't just scream about) to use variables for huge changes for the longest fucking time and then the two changes that mattered most didn't get them, the changes to knight combat. Yet once people talk about archer combat "Lol everything's a variable now". Le trollface xD

My point was that those griefers were mad at wrong teams or such shit, some people just tend to do it because the game just sucks now, it went from being what many people I introduced at the time would call the best indie game or the funnest and most addictive game they played to what is now something I cannot even introduce people to because when I do they tell me I'm fucking retarded, and I can't even fucking defend it in it's current state.

Amazing games, none most people haven't run dry, feel free to name a fun, multiplayer game with a high skillcap that came out within the last year or is being constantly maintained currently to a level of actual fun and I will concede, oh and it has to be fun in it's free state, which it must have.

A rule is no longer sound when in order to stop the abuse, you hinder it's actual use. Attempts to justify by numbers are just further proof that the rule is not fair or just.

Spoolooni and Noburu like this.
  18. Hoj

Hoj Builder Stabber

Again, let me tell you the main problem here. Administrators are supposed to do their job and prevent or stop griefing to begin with. If you own and run a server you should already know that. This list represents laziness on their part and is wrong. This list has bais written all over it and is clearly on one side of the fence already. Guards, admins and mods cannot stop human behavior and the unpredictability of a complex system and i understand that. However, each server ban varies from case to case and is a separate matter of it's own. It's funny how much time went into this thought that could of been used to solve the problems we have.

19. BlueLuigi

Please, go ahead and mention what part of making lists to ban is wrong?
    It is a tool to make our lives easier, similar to a pen being easier to use than quill and ink or a keyboard than a typewriter, would you tell a man that he should not use it for it makes his job easier and is therefore wrong? Shall we all go back to having scribes laboriously copy our work? Shall we call automation a demon and condemn it? No.

I would no sooner swear off blacklists than I would transportation because 'It makes getting from A to B easy, that's your job to get there, you should walk', or using a computer because I should deliver my messages to you in person.

Again it shall be stated as it seems you are all ignoring it, that while any points you may have would have had SOME actual merit (none of these so far really have?) if it wasn't for the fact that it is completely optional for server owners, editable by them so that you can bring up any gripe with them, and there is opportunity for appeal if necessary.

Also almost no time probably went into this, well I mean a little scouring the thread, but he probably already does that anyway.

Also, how could Downburst not being a dev have fixed any of our actual problems? Please do enlighten.

20. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Shark Slayer

It's completely fine for a server owner to create his or her own lists according to their reference, but putting it into a form of a fact and label each listed person "universally wanted" isn't the most ethical thing to do. Sure it's effective, but you're not being diplomatic that way but force feeding people the concept of penalizing people base on their past actions.

Anyways it really rustles my jimmies why I would care if I'm vilified, since the guild wars 2 beta event is coming a long soon. Can't wait til it's release and watch this game fade away. :D