1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Drills and saws should not be destroyed by slashes

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by PUNK123, May 31, 2016.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

Alright so now that i cant post in my usual whine-zone(because no one else has posted yet) I want to talk about Saws and drills. I feel like if they are so expensive and cost stone they should not be damaged by jabs or slashes. Seeing as how they can both be converted by the enemy i dont see why they aren't in-destructible to bs. Personally if i had it my way id remove the stone cost for saws all-together and make it cost coins or something to stop tree-farm shitters because i understand at one point it was a really big issue(sawpit spam).

Sytoplasma and Blue_Tiger like this.
  2. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

stfu I like breaking your stuff

Saws can't always be grabbed and your tree farm should have doors anyways.

DatNobby and EhRa like this.
  3. PUNK123

this is you-:QQ:
    You should be able to get under it or gtfo. Stop being terrible and leave my discussion alone:rektlord:

Wouldnt it be better to steal the saw anyway? Im not understanding your apprehension towards this. The drill salt is prob the worst. It costs 100 stone to buy a drill to do 1 dmg and you can get stopped in your track by jabspam. Not sure why the drill should be destroyed by a slash in any situation

4. toothgrinderx

toothgrinderx Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin

No this is me :r_flex::B)::flex:

No you can't always steal the saw (and stfu why u telling everyone how) and also no, it's usually better to break it. If I just steal it they'll get it back when I die. Same for drills.

You only ever consider things from a builder perspective, half the time when I'm trying to fuck up the enemies base the only thing thats even vulnerable is their tree farm. If it bothers you just put doors like I said, simple.

This is you -
    ::(:o no my saw i shud hav put a door maybe

Blue_Tiger, Magmus and bru-jaz like this.
  5. 4zK

4zK Horde Gibber Staff Alumni

I'm all for making the drill like 2-3x times more durable so that you'd have a better chance of retrieving it instead of losing it in a cluster of slashing knights

6. yeah and builders should have 8 hearts just in case knight tries to do something

/thread

Magmus and toothgrinderx like this.
  7. PUNK123

/low effort reply
    /doesnt even play
    /go back to starcraft
    /stop likefarm
    You people are literally cancer. I mean it in the way that in every freaking thread people come out of the wood work to just trash an idea even if it makes sense. I always put my saw in doors but maybe you only see it through a knight's perspective. How the hell would the builder you just killed get the drill back? You just want to keep your stupid mechanics. I really dont see why saws should just get trashed wherever they are when they are so expensive.

8. BarsukEughen555

BarsukEughen555 Ballista Bolt Thrower

IMHO I don't see how much this is an effort, because if you've lost treefarms your base is basically doomed, and its basically impossible to slash saw trap (until it was build uncorrectly, but then its builder's fault)
    drills > rarely used now tbh, but approve, drills are basically worthless when you died, but I like the idea of that drill is much more dangerous because unslashable and makes it reasonable to protect the drillcarrier, +1 fordrills

Blue_Tiger likes this.
  9. PUNK123

Im not even gung-ho about saws being indestructable i would personally prefer it being a cheaper item but if it is made out of that much stone i feel like it should be pretty indestructable to slashes. Tree-farms barely even get built in pubs and i havent lost one to tooth ever so im not in the mood for his projections.

10. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

I don't think it's a "bs mechanic". If you're invaded by a knight, and you don't deal with them, there'll be consequences. Unless you've put in the effort locking all your stuff down. I also think it's kind of an interesting situation trying to take stuff from the enemy in combat without breaking it. This seems like a pretty small issue to me tbh, and 100 stone isn't really too bad.

toothgrinderx likes this.
  11. PUNK123

So being slashed by a knight and your drill breaking is not stupid or bullshit or just counter productive? It's pretty simple to lock up a tree-farm and i always do(funny story i stole tooth's locked up saw last game because he is a pleb builder)but that doesnt change the fact that it getting destroyed is pretty stupid because you are pretty easily destroying a very expensive item(that you should try to take). I dont think it is interesting at all to have to avoid slashing a drilling builder to get said drill. You should get the drill if you kill them i think that is an obvious point. Also the saw is a mechanic that isnt forced to be at spawn. It can be anywhere and can be captured it just shouldnt be solo easily destroyed that is stupid. If the knight is somehow impossible to deal with then you should be able to steal the saw and run which is a giant bonus because freesaw hype is better than freekeg hype. Also knights do have bombs that is a safer way to destroy the saw imo and how it should be.

12. BarsukEughen555

bombs cost money, slashes not
    danger of builder > need of drill, so you just try to hunt him down
    taking drill as kngiht is USELESS, and like only 0.1% of knights bring mats from field to builders, not talking about the drills, lanterns and other stuff

Magmus likes this.
  13. PUNK123

Because helping your team-mates is useless 2016. But im the one who is stuck in my builder main ideas right? /s

If you cant get 25 coins in ctf then dont play knight, end of story. Isnt that how it should work since youre spending 100 stone on something? Shouldnt it be pretty damn strong and you need to actually plan to break it not get lucky? Also, at very least leaving the drill on the battlefield will help someone. If the enemy is too stupid to pick it up then the other team will snatch it and you will be at a disadvantage for not playing the game correctly.

14. BarsukEughen555

there are so little sappers w/ drills last time tbh
    + there's literally 0 use for the knight ALONE in drill, and loosing like 2 minutes you would've used on farming coins/ tryin to breach to just CARRY dril w/ danger of dying seems useless
    i've never bought drills for my team, because my team is mostly simply too bad to protect the drillcarrier

15. PUNK123

----->continues stupid arguement about how drills dont help knights.

My response is to either help your team or give the enemy the advantage. Simple as that seeing as how a drill takes up 1 inventory slot.

-------->whine about knight nerfs boo-hoo

Look you shouldnt be able to freaking slash something made of of 100 stone out of existence. I dont see knights not being able to insta-destroy drills as a nerf at all imo. As for the saw, it is freaking retarded that you can break 1 block towards the top corner of a sawpit and then slash the saw out of existence. Saw-pits are the only mildly useful traps in this game and even they are nerfed af. I just dont get why this idea is so bad to you people.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  16. BarsukEughen555

noone other then you won't be happy tbh, and loosing a saw isn't that much, if enemies at base = you doom'd

17. an_obamanation

an_obamanation The boss Donator

I like the thought of drills being invincible to slashes, I hate when in a flurry of knight combat you have a useful drill that can be used destroyed because it's impossible to not break it and fight at the same time. As for saws though, I usually design them with one stone that goes one block higher than flat land, and another one next to that one on top. This makes the blocks more slippery and hard to stand on, as well as blocks the saw casing from one more bomb. My advice is to try and find some way to make your saw traps more complex or unique. I remember one time I made a really awkward tower on top of a saw trap, while it wasn't the best to fight in, I got loads of kills from it and they couldn't get to it until some builders finally came along. That isn't the best way to deal with it though imo, I saw aukulous make a really cool thing with platforms that looked kinda like this

Very powerful, hard to get bombs in there, hard to position the bombs correctly, and I couldn't even slash at the saw from the corner there without slipping in, and if I ran in all rambo to get the job done I would die because of the spikes that make walljumping impossible and the saw.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  18. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

It would make no sense to make them invincible to slashes .. It'd be sooo inconsistent.
    Drills currently have 4 hearts (2 slashes = gib) .. I reworked the drill about a month ago. As part of that rework, I increased its health to 5.0 (10 hearts). It feels balanced.
    Saws currently have 10 hearts & IMO it's perfect. The main problem around saws lies in canBePickedUp .. You can't steal a saw unless you're below it. I've modified that too.

19. PUNK123

The way sawpits are taken out in pubs in both retarded and counter-productive. You dont want your team making shitty traps so they put an insta-killing saw in the pit and what does the enemy do? They bomb mine the corner and slash the saw into oblivion. Are you freaking kidding me? I can atleast understand some of the backlash towards it because of treefarms but come the fuck on how is that fair, ok, ect.
    I'm literally done responding to you. You wont even talk about sawpits.
    Yes because we need to make traps harder and more complex.

Um you what? Things like all arrow mats are impervious to slashes. Burgers and hearts dont get rekt by slashing and unlike drills they dont cost 100 stone. I mean i guess raising the hp of the drill is a possibility but i cant be the only one that disagrees with the bs that is a sawpit in its current state. As for the saw i hope you didnt change the code to allow it to be picked up from above. IMO that would just make it so much worse. At level ground ofc it should be picked up

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  20. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

I'd be inconsistent AF, please .. As it currently is, all items from the builder shop can be destroyed. They're a category of items ..
    Comparing them to material items is nonsense as material items are a seperate category. All material items take no damage.
    Food items take no damage, unless 'flesh'. It is consistent.
    Yes, saws still can't be taken from above.

PUNK123 likes this.
Mods: Rainbows