1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Duel, Co-Op, and Strategy Game modes!

Discussion in 'Game modes' started by SirSalami, Nov 21, 2011.

1. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

I love messing with game-types. Here are 3 that i've made in the past, 2 of which are very bot oriented. Each game-type comes with an example map i made for each type. I hope you enjoy them. Please let me know if you have any questions / suggestions / comments. Also, post a reply here if you plan on hosting a server using one of these, i'm sure everyone will appreciate it! Have fun experimenting!

Note that these have been tested in build 228. Other versions may have issues.

Duel - No building, just killing! No resources, no bombs, unlimited arrows. No unit count / objectives.
    Map - duel.png - Arena style, close quarters map. Teams are separated until entering arena. Archers have spots to arrow-climb. Ideal for 2-8 players

Co-Op - Few real players team up against many bots. Use teamwork to survive! CTF. Default 26 enemy bots, limited player units, many enemy units.
    Map - coop.png - Bots have sets of fortifications that must be brought down before flag is available. Destroy gold brick to topple fortresses. Limited resources. Ideal for 2-10 players*

Strategy - Both teams have bots. Play as builders to help them achieve victory! Long warm-up, plenty of resources during warmup and respawn. CTF. Default 8 bots on each team, generous unit count.
    Map - strategy.png - Flat and easy for bots to travel. Many resources. Ideal for 2-6 players*

To install and use, download the appropriate zip file attached to this post.
    • Back-up /kag/base/scripts/dedicated_autostart.gm.
    • Extract downloaded zip file to your kag folder. (Overwrite original dedicated_autostart.gm)
    • Modify sv_maxplayers in /kag/base/script/dedicated_autoconfig.gm to your liking.*
    • Start server, have fun!
    To stop using these game modes, simply replace dedicated_autostart.gm with the original you made a back-up of.

*Note that bots count toward player limit, so set your sv_maxplayers in dedicated_autoconfig.gm accordingly.
    (e.g., Co-Op has 26 bots so sv_maxplayers = 36 leaves 10 slots for real players to join.)

Attached Files:

Aoi, Rayne, Noburu and 5 others like this.
  2. sj67

sj67 Greg hunter

First! XD I'm kidding.

Good idea. I'm glad someone came up with it. Maybe you could add Bot vs. Bot and you could spectate. And put the Bot on difficulty, 1-10 maybe. I don't know, it's what I do in Brawl. :P

3. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Tried Co-op copypaste, did not work. Stayed at 'Generating Map', it did show the bots spawn though.

4. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

Thanks! This is usefull, good job on creating it. :)

5. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

I've played more than one co-op server, and it seems every time I see players joining the bot faction and ruining the game for everyone else.

6. Pizza

Pizza Ballista Bolt Thrower

Hm, im only going to use this for a little private server though. I do not have to worry about that issue.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

He may have already fixed it but Coop needed some file references changed (any reference to Rules/coop need to be changed to Rules/Coop), maps-> Maps, etc.

@Jackard - This can be avoided by making sure there are always more bots than players and turning on auto_assign team (I turned this back on but with 11 bots and possible 13 players connecting it can become a problem), I could fix this by adding a few more bots, or restricting the units on the server, as can anyone depending on their connections.

Also keep in mind it's suggested you have 10 people.

I find that if you have over the 12 person limit having a single person go and lead the bots (A mixture of Strategy and Co-op?) helps, if that person is builder it can be a bit OP, but the map might also need some fixing, you can basically break their first fortress and they will continue to suicide everytime they reach the pit, you win.

SirSalami likes this.
  8. SirSalami

Fixed the file name issues. Modified the Coop map to be more difficult / look a bit cooler.

The files have been in the OP have been updated accordingly.

Thanks for all of your input BlueLuigi!

9. Noc

Noc Bison Rider

Strategy sounds cool.

10. SirSalami

More Co-Op updates! Very bloody, very fun! Thanks for the testing help to those that joined. OP has been updated.

I've increased default bot count, switched all to builders, and lowered their health. 1 slash or charged arrow is an insta-kill! Watch out for the lone Knight though, he's beefy!

I've also made some changes to the map, including a new small fortress for red in the forest, added doors and traps at fortresses, removed of death pit under middle fortress, a new jump puzzle at the end, and generally better looking design.

This is probably the closest we can get to a "Zombie mode" until the official one comes out. Hope you guys like it!

-- Edit --

Increased bots to 26, 6 are now knights, not beefy. Shortened warm-up. Forest fortress is now unavailable during warmup. Lowered unit counts on both sides. OP updated.

11. SirSalami

Updated all game modes:
    New use of gamemode_mapcycle.cfg files.
    Fixed class change icons in menu.
    Removed the need to rename any files for installation.
    Files have been updated.

Noburu, BlueLuigi and Rayne like this.
  12. Alpha-Warrior

Alpha-Warrior Horde Gibber

awesome stuff thank u for using ur time to do this :D

13. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

here are the settings for my coop server

Attached Files:

Boxpipe and SirSalami like this.
  14. WarrFork

WarrFork フォーク Donator Tester

I did a little edit on the Co-Op map for my server, if someone want it;
    [EDIT]: Fixed the collapsing part at the end, break the gold make a collapse again.
    </br>--- merged: Mar 7, 2013 2:32 AM ---</br>
    Added the line for autobalance in gamemode.cfg and put if off to don't make bots joining players team in the new build;

Attached Files:

Varion, rocker2, Rayne and 2 others like this.
  15. rocker2

rocker2 Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

I made a Duel Server, which uses slightly different files than SirSalami's originals.

I found that some of the files did not work with kag2dservers.com, so I edited them:

Download!

The server is: Rocker's USA Duel

Attached Files:

SirSalami and Guitarman like this.