1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress - Praise Armok!

Discussion in 'Other games' started by TerryDactyl, Jun 3, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

NEVER use the lazy newb pack, it ruins everything. I had a hard time playing it first time like everyone. I played a bit, left for a month, then again repeated... This was going for a year, eventually I slowly learnt everything by myself. The wiki is a great source for first timers. Today I one hit dragons and titans in adventure mode :B):
    Forint plz do it for grosci

2. Medieval

Medieval Haxor

Hey, i already use LNP. I am not crazy enough to play with ASCII (or something) graphics.

3. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

In dwarf fortress, most of the graphics are imagination based. Who needs good graphics when you can just IMAGINE the graphics? ASCII graphics are fine, and sometimes they actually look good! (Or you can go with ASCII square)

Tell me this isn't beautiful:
    [​IMG]

But LNP isn't all that bad. I used it to get started too. Just don't go dumping on ASCII graphics!

4. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

I think textures just ruin the game, imo the ascii stuff is clearer. You better learn the original symbols, one day you will need it :smug:

5. DatNobby

DatNobby Haxor

fuck
    i keep trying to get into this game, no matter how hard i try i just can't
    2confusing4me

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

@Nobby: maybe watch some let's play videos of people playing it to get the gist. I'm always horrified by the way they design their forts but they'll usually run through what you've got to do to get a fort up and running in a reasonably straightforward manner.

Re: ASCII - i think it's clearer that way tbh, though you should use a square tileset to avoid space perception issues.

7. While it is pretty, it lacks immediacy - with a tile-set, your comprehension of what is on a tile is greatly sped up. For example, with Ascii, you can easily mistake a Human (U) for a Unicorn (U) - where the only difference in the ASCII tileset is the colour of the U. With image based tilesets, your read-speed is faster, because you can go "yup, that's a unicorn".
    I used to play the ASCII mode when I first started, but swapped for Phoebus's tileset after I mistook unicorns for humans in adventure mode and got stomped and gored into a fine red paste.

PanduhsFTW and Noburu like this.
  8. Haste

Haste Bison Rider

Ascii allows for the imagination to work freely, its actually immersive - imagine that
    You can see many more tiles in a ascii tileset rather than just using pure tiles , because tiles are normally bigger to and need more pixels to make up what you're trying to see. Its a battle of view distance over quick draw readability.

I have this same problem playing cataclysm dda.
    Df is still looks like encrypted chinese to me. Ill learn one day.

9. Medieval

Medieval Haxor

I tried to play with Ascii today, so many symbols & colors (i was on snow) :ooo
    it was like watching this http://www.laboiteverte.fr/les-gif-hypnotiques-davidope/gif-hypnotique-007/

I prefer playing with the CLA graphic set.

edit: i actually enjoy playing DF with CLA . I am doing almost nothing in-game for now (mining, assigning stockpiles, understanding things, stairways etc..) but it's funny.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  10. LemSpike

LemSpike Builder Stabber

I went on a bit of a rampage in Adventure mode
    [​IMG]
    After that, I proceeded to the nearby market, where I shouted out that I had murdered elves, and was spat on by at least 5 elves. I then started a massacre, but I was killed when about 10 elves grabbed my throat at once and I suffocated.

11. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

EXPLOSION. ARE. THE. ANSWER.

12. ...what does that mean?

13. EhRa

1. KRPG

Well. Explosions are the answer to dwarf domination. GG

14. even though in DF there are no real explosions (unmodded) dwarves can create, besides having a bunch of alcohol stored especially so lava can drop on it as a superweapon?

15. EhRa

1. KRPG

Yes. I normally have alchol in a 3 way tunnel leading in to my fort, with flood doors and lava drop above. It is AMAZING. Explosions.

16. Shadowor

Shadowor Shark Slayer

In arena mode, put some wall mid-air (lava+water), it will collapse and make a beautiful colorful explosion with all kinds of gems in it. I think it's an easter egg.

17. LemSpike

LemSpike Builder Stabber

God, I hate caverns. I lost half of my best squad and several civilians because of a group of creatures from below. Three are currently critically injured in my half set-up hospital.

18. The easiest way to set up in the caverns is to have a secondary barracks training down there ready to deal with issues. Also, you can build buildings as a distraction for building destroyers - especially artifact doors that are unbreakable.

Beef likes this.
  19. LemSpike

LemSpike Builder Stabber

It was my first cavern encounter (I'm still a bit of a noob). My fortress almost fell apart tantrum-wise as a result of it. Still, I'm getting a heap of animals from the cage traps I set up around the stairs into the cavern.

20. Well, the important thing is your fort survived. (Also, if they died in dangerous / inaccessible areas, don't forget to memorialise them. That satisfies the burial they require without needing a tomb.)

Beef likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi