1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Edit the default TTH maps

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Klokinator, Jul 24, 2014.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Here's a simple, but important suggestion.

[​IMG]

At the start of a TTH match, all the maps that I can think of start off with a base like this. The two sides have two blocks covering and there is a hole in the middle.

TERRIBLE.

This makes new players say "Hey, I should put the central pathway up through the middle!" because OBVIOUSLY you should, I mean why else would the sides be blocked off.

But no, this is horrible and should not be encouraged. Instead, make all bases start off like this.

[​IMG]

See the difference?

The reason I suggest this, is because KAG is a game where rubbing up against a wall and bouncing off it is FAR faster than climbing through ladders. Climbing ladders is awful, and should be a last resort in an emergency or when you're assaulting an enemy base and need over it FAST. It should never be needed in a well designed base, especially as a default method of climbing a tower.

In case it wasn't clear why, here's my old(ish) TTH base video, which should still pretty much be current.

As you can see, I explain why the middle climbing method is vastly inferior to the side technique. So please guys, let's not encourage this building method anymore.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Apronymous likes this.
  2. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

It costs 40 wood to make that, provided you also get rid of the 4 blocks of wood.

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I don't know what you're trying to say. My point is instead of exerting effort to clear the side blocks and put blocks over the middle, the current setup just encourages middle-building, which is terrible and should never be encouraged.

Apronymous likes this.
  4. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Making it default would likely be easy. It's just that newbies would learn to do what you did, like how they do when they experiment with walls and watch other builders build.

5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It would appear that kag is in the final phases of development. Right now they're focusing on making things more accessible, which is why we have a thread in announcements that asks people to donate on-death tips so that newbies can learn the finer details of kag.

You also give newbs far too much credit. Most pubs will not just observe me as a builder doing great things, they'll watch other pubs doing bad things, learn from that, then do that themselves.

Psychology 101 states that the current setup will make builders see the opening in the middle and therefore build with that opening in mind. There are actually quite a few maps (Like in my video) where the top of a hall is completely covered all the way across. If a newb spends time on a map with the middle open, then wanders into a map where it starts fully covered, he'll apply what he learned from the previous map and open up the middle, because that's the way the other map had it, so that must be proper.

6. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

I'm with you here, actually. I myself went up the middle (Although, I did it so that resources would fall down into the hall storage).

7. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

I summed your tut up in a couple of images, not including the research table but still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if the plats at the top are exactly as you mentioned in the video, but you did say something about putting them on top so I just threw them on there.

Uh also I included the easiest jumps to make in a tower built like this. As you can see it's pretty accessible, and without ladders, it's very easy to get anywhere quickly. There are some more advanced steps that probably could've been taken imo, but for cost efficiency and the fact that this tower actually shouldn't be attacked if you're doing things right, this is pretty good.

I'm going to have to agree here though; because the hall is a certain height, wall riding is the quickest and most efficient method for getting to the second floor of a tower built over a hall.

Apronymous likes this.
  8. Nand

Nand Arsonist Tester

TTHTower3b.png

This is actually a 2 bomb tower, you'll want to reinforce the back and build higher platforms at the front.

9. Corpsey

Corpsey Haxor

Once they're on top of it though, they will have 1 bomb... Also the back (where you have the arrow leading) could just be reinforced with plats so that it resists mines as well. Also I did say that

Although I was just iterating what was said in Klok's tutorial. Not to mention, this thread is about the platform location and why it should be moved to the middle, not criticism on the plans to fortify a hall.

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well if we're talking ideal bases, here's something I whipped up.

[​IMG]

The front of the base, excluding the doors is keg and bomb and drill resistant. There is a very handy archer's nest up top, the side not facing the enemy has a bunch of wood filling (All it really needs to do is slow down an enemy knight and distract them to be super useful, and cutting through the wood will just get them to stone anyway so not much they can do.)

The base is mostly fireproof. Even exposing the wood filling in the front three layers (It's there, I surrounded the top and bottom of it with stone so the enemy can't tell if it's wood or stone. They'll likely assume it's three layers of stone) will accomplish little. A fire arrow can burn the top two layers of door/platform away, but it won't penetrate the stone door underneath.

Essentially, any TTH match where both teams have bases like this is going to last a long time, especially if there is a fairly competent builder on repair duty.

Yes, this thread is about the hall that appears when you first start a match. NOT about how to properly design a hall (Though my method is superior if you must ask). I just want the starting hall to have the sides open instead of the whole top covered or the middle open.

Mods: Rainbows