1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

eliminate arrow climbing

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by hierbo, Nov 11, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hey guys,

I have noticed in current builds of KAG, only archers can arrow climb, and then only on their own team's arrows. Since the archer can surely use his grappling hook to climb any surface that he can embed arrows in, this seems like redundant functionality that adds little, if anything.

What's more, allowing the arrows to be climbed forces collision checking, which is among the more costly operations on games such as this. So, I propose, in the name of reduced CPU load, eliminate arrow climbing and make all of those 'inert' arrows strictly graphical, hence no collision checking.

Does anyone have any thought on this?

Piano, jackitch, Bint and 1 other person like this.
  2. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

I agree about it and it was meant to be removed at some point but some people suggest at this moment that arrows should be climbable by all classes so archer gets more use at the front, it may sound good but I can only see this as annoyance and will nerf building even more which is very weak now and feels merely as addition, the game is already falling thin on the building part. Another thing about current arrows is that you can fire dozen of them and they will block the path or make you unable to place blocks.

Crabmaster likes this.
  3. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

I agree, I often find myself getting stuck on arrows while trying to grapple up walls or wallrun, so the arrow climbing is only HURTING me. And even without arrow climbing, everyone can already wallrun so far that the arrows wouldn't really help anyway.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

This was once such a beautiful mechanic but there is no place for it anymore. RIP arrow climbing.

hierbo likes this.
  5. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

I find arrow climbing to be very situational but still useful. In example when you can place arrows on the edge of towers or other tall natural vertical surfaces allowing you to charge shots from cover. Personally I would like to see it stay in some form, perhaps as a specialized arrow that would allow for all classes to climb it.

6. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

I agree.

I thought about allowing all classes to climb arrows the other day, but then I noticed LostPix's comment about the state of building. I do feel that the value of walls has already decreased with grappling. Making it easier for all classes to climb over walls would decrease it even further.

This keeping in mind that Knights can already bomb jump over them and Builders can dig under/through them.

Can you imagine how fast bases would be destroyed if Knights could just carry Kegs over walls?

hierbo likes this.
  7. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I still use it in Classic. Its a great skill to have, just like double bomb jumping. But like most of you have said, grapple has replaced it. Its an unfortunate thing. Climbing arrows to get into bases showed you had skill as an archer.

I still think that allowing all classes to climb the arrows shot by their own team would be nice. Despite others thinking differently. Im pretty sure, dont hold me to this, that arrows actually don't break the first time you use them to climb. If allowing other classes to climb arrows was allowed, why not have them break the first time you use them.

Also, if you haven't noticed, ballista arrows are climbable, no mater what surface they are on infact. Even when that are straight up in the ground you can climb them like a ladder.

8. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I would say removing it would be nice. Those arrows just get in the way these days...and maybe it would fix that pesky annoyance when walking through a small hole and getting stuck on a random body with arrows or just random arrows which for some reason are solid.

Mods: Rainbows