1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Endless arrows for archers

Discussion in 'Balance' started by 8x, Jan 11, 2014.

1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Infinite normal arrows for archers. Why? A few things led me to think about it:

1. It almost never happened that an archer has to retreat to buy normal arrows -players always find 35-90 arrows on the battlefield ground, even without willing it. TDM is different in this aspect. This was common at Classic but not at Beta.
    2. Arrows, as an item spread all around the map in piles, make it uncomfortable for other players to grab corpses, resources and other items. There would be less items, having hopefully a better performance and a cleaner picking-system: less unexpected erroes while trying to grab something.
    3. Dead archers won't keep in their backpack lots of arrows, just other useful items in some cases.

Static arrow machines still would need you to buy arrows for it I guess.

bru-jaz, Magmus, AcidSeth and 2 others like this.
  2. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Hmmm, mounted bows do become an issue with this. I do like the idea and I hate picking up arrows when there's a lit bomb in front of me that I want to throw back. Maybe just have arrows craftable by the builder from the workbench for some wood, since you can't buy things in TTH, and then just make regular arrows cost wood in CTF, not coins.

Archers spamming arrows on top of towers forever would become a problem though....

3. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

*cough* Bring back making arrows from trees *cough* *cough*

Just right click the already overflowing logs on the ground and boom, arrows. *cough*

Sorry, this cold outside is really messing with my throat. :wink:

NastyCamper likes this.
  4. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That is still a problem at the moment. The arrows don't fly like in Classic so as not to have those archers camping at towers or at archer nests, which is thought to be related to stalemates in an endless ticket round. But, despite the strange line arrows follow in the air, and the fact that archers cannot shoot and hit something properly at a really far distance, 3 on every 4 archers still camp on towers.

Normal arrows are not very valuable at the moment, and archers do camp and spam them 3 by 3. From this situation 2 possibilites I see now:
    unlimited normal arrows,
    or making them more valuable: if they fly in a perfect parabole (where only the force you apply, the direction of the shot and gravity count) and if you get less arrows or none from tent at a certain moment, you would shoot more carefully instead of camping and spammin.

Yes, this became another thread against the way arrows fly.

Nabuco likes this.
  5. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Unlimited normal arrows would mean ohgod endless legolas spam from max distance. It would magnify the problem of spammy archers. At least when bad archers sit in their stupid nests, they don't get any arrow drops from the battlefield. Also, would they then not take up an inventory slot? This could mean archers running around with 4 bomb arrows, holding a 5th in their hands, and not caring because they have infinite normal ones.

Even though it's confusing as hell, i actually like the weird trajectory of arrows in this game. If it weren't the way it is, i could hit people off-screen when zoomed out to max. It just means archers would legospam from further away haha...

As for making arrows more valuable, i wouldn't like them requiring a builder to go and make arrows out of wood. I don't want to play builder so i can play archer, unless it means making shops during build time.

Perhaps making arrows decay quickly on the battlefield, kinda like how stone does, would be a good solution?

Rayne, Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants and Nabuco like this.
  6. I'm not sure about unlimited, but I wouldn't say no to increase the max arrows per slot from 30 to 40-50, also the faster decay sounds like a good idea. And I don't know if most people would like it, but I think there should be a minimum quantity for arrows to appear in the ground as an item, I can't even tell how frustrating it is to grapple like crazy around the map looking for ammo only to find a +2 arrows nearby the enemy base.

7. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

my opinion is its fine as is. Only idea i really like here is the side effect of making the item targeting better because frankly it sucks major donkey dick. #1 source of my rage.

8. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

we had unlimited arrows for archer during beta testing, it sucked hard.

9. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor