1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Fighting the undead - Now with friends! (build 393)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MM, May 14, 2012.

1. MooTheDevourer

MooTheDevourer Shipwright

So um, I'm getting massive CPU usage suddenly with this new update. It was fine yesterday but now it's messed up, I'll have like 5 fps on a small match O_o

2. Inexorable

Inexorable The おっぱい lovin' nipple wizard. Donator

I just do my usual role of "That guy who can get through, over, under any wall or defence". As a knight though I mean, dont often play archer, sometimes go offensive builder. I don't know why but yeah after every big update i find it harder to play as knight lol.

3. Alpha-Warrior

Alpha-Warrior Horde Gibber

bombs are weird kinda awesome hats,they should make create your own that so we can insert a image of a hat or head and its created ingame and saved for our computer only

-Warrior likes this.
  4. Roc_Computer

Roc_Computer Shopkeep Stealer

YAY, HATS ARE THE BOMB! good work on those.
    and bashing and hit contact is still not the best that is was, back before zombies :(
    but at least combat got slightly better. :)

5. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It was one netcode bug introduced at the last minute which caused the 3 or 4 issues fixed (bombs, buggy falling, coins and probably other things). This is why they were all fixed by the same hotfix. We have a majorly improved testing process now, which is why hardly any bugs of actual consequence were created in this release, and after that one netcode bug slipped in at the last minute we are going to be even more strict (amongst the devs) about not making code changes within the last 24h before a release (testing only. If a change is needed for an urgent bug, the release gets pushed back another 24h)

This was a bug originally, but now the AI intentionally squeezes through 1x1 holes in 1 tile thick walls because holy shit they're zombies zombies. It was one of the options for how zombies deal with structures like:

bzed.jpg

Though the AI is still being refined surrounding how zombies deal with notch walls

6. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

Gj on that FliesLikeABrick. can anyone help me why shielding seems to be so slow as in within one second i shield and things still hurt me like bombs or arrows at the same time is the same with rapid change of direction
    hey im a zombie and i find this offensive
    (jk)
    EDit: what about double notch towers ie this
    :castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::castle_bg:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt:

SARGRA13 and BlueLuigi like this.
  7. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

you can, if they "fix" this bug, still make a diagonal pattern:

:r_flex::B)::thumbs_up: <-- awesome builderdude
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg:
    :castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg: <-- Zombie proof wall, effectively blocking squeezing.
    :castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_bg:
    :castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_wall: :skeleton: <-- mad zombie

8. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Right now, not sure if rayne's server only due to 'faster zombies' but they just go right through, in fact they walk right through some walls that are flat.

9. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Doesn't work.

Latest build, even walls like this;

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_bg:

Skeletons and zombies phase through. They climb in the notches and pass right through.

EDIT: Recorded video of the bug, uploading to Mantis.

10. Rayne

Rayne ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug at this point, it's to combat notch walls from stopping zombies, although I do agree that is a bullshit way to go about it.

>build tons of notch walls on my siege server
    >hell breaks loose
    >ALL the zombies just run right through my defenses
    >steamrolled.

EDIT: :down: I guess i misunderstood FLAB then.

Gofio, potatomcwhiskey and Riletyface like this.
  11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

The wall phasing thing isn't actually intentional or cool. Ideally they'd just climb notches the same as normal walls, its proving to be hard to do that with the physics though without letting them climb on roofing. It'll likely be fixed in the next couple of weeks, we've got a few things we want to look into before that (plus we're having a slow week this week due to MM getting an office and having to burn time moving into there, and all of us needing to catch up sleep from the hours lost getting this one out the door).

The above is why I actually prefer ground level doors and "conventional" defences in zombies rather than the usual notchtower bridgeladder spam of normal KAG play.

12. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Phew, thank god you said it was a bug.

13. thebonesauce

I was just reporting it. Hahaha. I generally have pits/proper defenses/etc, just noticed that happened and reported it.

14. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Very nice update can't find many bugs :)

i'm abit of a noob at zombie fortress and there's many things i don't know how to do and stuff that i know I'm not good at...
    (take a screenshot of this: Me admitting I'm a noob) :p
    here's a few questions (that will make me look like a novice) :p

~are zombies immune to spikes? i'd make spike traps that would kill any human but zombies just walk through them :O
    ~is there a way to destroy Portals?
    ~and in a Zombie server do the BOTS take up a human slot? I'm hosting one and i need to know if i need to ~increase max players.
    ~and is the best way to destroy the flying zombie things by using an archer?
    ~also when I put down stone blocks sometimes it acts as if a bomb has gone off where i placed it? why?
    ~what are you actually meant to do in zombie fortress?

15. thebonesauce

To answer your questions...

Dunno if immune, but they will destroy them after a while.
    There is. Kegs or arrow spam are your best bet.
    I think bots take up a human slot. Can't be positive though. I am about 90% sure they do though, as spawning a bot on the MOLE server takes up a slot.
    Archers pwn Wraiths (flying zombies).
    Stone blows up if placed too close to the zombie spawn points.
    Survive! As long as possible! Destroy zombie spawners! Build an epic fortress!

Creille and killatron46 like this.
  16. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator

I'll answer as best as I can Creille:

1. Spikes effect zombies, but its hard to tell because they don't gib the bodies.
    2. You can destroy portals, it just takes more hits than you would think. My favorite way is spamming arrows into it.
    3. Last time I checked they did, but I may be wrong.
    4. Yes
    5. Sometimes your stone will blow up if its near the edges of the map, and or blocking where zombies come out. This is a sort of prevention on cheap tactics.
    6. Survive.

I even refreshed the page to check before I posted. :QQ:

Creille likes this.
  17. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

To answer your questions.

-Zombies are not immune to spikes, they just break after x amount of steps on.
    -Yes, bombs, slashing, arrows Etc.
    -Bots do take up a slot.
    -I don't know much about wraiths, just if it catches on fire, RUN!
    -This happens because you could just camp and the zombies wouldn't be able to get out, so a anti-camp type mechanism in a way.
    -Destroy all portals I guess, no one really knows.

Also, I just got a hotfix, any specific reasons?

Edit~ Why am I so slow!
    Edit~ I also noticed that coins glitch dramatically more than normal, you used to get the occassional glitch, but it's constant now, could this lead onto multiple coin pillage like someone reported earlier in this thread?

Creille likes this.
  18. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

• Zombies are not immune to all spike just to most of them.
    • You can destroy portals. but zombies, wraiths, still seem to spawn form destroyed portals for some reason.
    • Bots took a human slot according to some mantis bug, take a look at that if it was fixed.
    • Yes archers pwn wraiths as they just explode most as the time you kill them as a knight/builder.
    • Stone should blow up when build over zombie spawn points but some mantis bugs tell me it doesn't :(
    • that's because it's too close to the border/zombie spawn? at least, it used to act like that some test builds/normal builds ago.
    • you are meant to bored the shit out of your life, just dig right next tot the bored and you will live forever. Zombies are nice, but fighting AI will always be fighting AI. It will only become nice if we could do something like hero line wars at Warcraft :)
      Or we could just add many zombies at the middle instead of a building time *LIKE*

Creille likes this.
  19. Creille

Creille Base Burner

Wow 4 reply's i'm loved :P that's fast and efficent work ^^^ :)

Ghozt likes this.
  20. Riletyface

Riletyface Horde Gibber

Hold on... You are not premium... :huh?:

Creille likes this.