1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Flaming arrows + wooden buildings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strech, Jun 16, 2011.

1. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

Do you people have fun only when you make a joke?!
    Your link is broken...

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Gaa I'm always in the lulz mood, but that's the same image anyways.

3. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Geti was considering this and already made some art for this but I don't know if it's gonna happen. I think that a strong fire vulnerability is a good idea. I mean it would be pretty easy to limit the effects of fire by breaking up your wooden constructions with sections of stone. Say, make your corners out of stone.

4. HA1TER

HA1TER Shopkeep Stealer

+1
    But again,what about ladders...We cant place stone between ladder parts.Also,would it spread left and right and not just up and down? i mean if it goes only in 2 directions than you could make ladders like this :

# #
    # #
    # or as most of people build them # every second part.
    # #
    # #

So when fire would spread only on blocks that are conected and would not reach the ones that are 1 block appart it could be done.

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You wont be able to build ladders spread out that way soon, guys.

We're certainly considering fire and wooden blocks. Considering the amount that suggestions we get overlap with our current plans we should probably provide access to some sort of roadmap just to prevent having to say "We're already doing this" or "We have something else lined up to fix the same issue" every second thread ;) That might happen soon, I'll have to have a talk with Mike about sorting out a formal roadmap for that to be possible.

I like the idea of 3 tiers of construction - Wood, Stone and Steel, but I think we can only justify steel in a larger, more complicated KAG (-> the one that'd cost money). We already have wood as a resource in-game though and some drafted sprites for wooden constructions so we'll see what comes of it.

Bombs would likely also cause fire, and perhaps "dry grass" could be added as well for some early game shenanigans.

6. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I demand well construction and builders with buckets!

7. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

I don't like the idea of fire arrows at all. Unless it takes longer to charge, doesn't go as far, and perhaps an added inaccuracy factor, fire arrows may be op especially when spammed from across the map.

If you had a team of archers just spamming fire arrows from miles away, firstly, it would burn down most trees in the middle of the map. Second, Anything wooden will just disappear

So to be honest, I think fire arrows should not be included

8. ComJak - Fire arrows would cost resources to create, which in itself is time the team would have to dedicate from other misadventures that would be more useful.

9. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

How about the fire arrows extinguish at a certain distance, say over 80 blocks or so, that would prevent cross map barrages. And why not have fire arrows? wouldn't you love to catch one of these on fire [​IMG][​IMG]and see it fall to earth like a meteor?

Edit: Additional Pylons constructed, Upgrades Activated.

10. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

If the devs put one of those in that would be fun. I just forsee a lot of abuse with the fire arrows. Its like how builders and just seal themselves in a mountain and no one can do anything about it.

I'm just a little skeptical

11. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

My 2 cents.

The brazier is a great idea, but in my opinion, they should be relatively cheap / easy to build and the archer should have to stand next to it to fire the flaming arrow. I mean, the arrow isn't going to stay aflame forever right?

Perhaps, the charge meter should be slower in this situation as well. I''m assuming a super-charged flaming arrow will insta-kill (perhaps with a burning animation?).

Also, as mentioned, if wood blocks are implemented, limiting to 1 burned wood block per flaming arrow would probably be wise. Though if the flaming arrows only affected doors, bridges, and ladders, i'd be fine with that too.

12. Rainbows

How much for mod support Geti?

13. Im_a_Turtle

Im_a_Turtle Arsonist

Moderator support or Mod "mod" support? How fun i'd have with modding this game, WW1, satrwars, starcraft, warhammer, warcraft, battleships, dogfights HHeeew!!! makes me squingy thinking about the possibilities!

14. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

if hit add status fire which does 0.5 hearts damage 2 secs and can be put out by "water"?ofcourse the arrow will do only 0.5 damage on inpact to and no damage with weak shot.

15. Rainbows

I will mod the bison into this game!

16. kiro

kiro Garde KAG Donator Tester

I already imagine builders having to run to the nearest river to stop the fire from destroying the catapults and ladders :D

Also, another idea I stole from Stronghold Crusader : burning tar. Builders could produce tar (in Stronghold they take it from marshes) and fill holes with it or spread it on the ground. Then archers could set it on fire ! Muhahahaha !

17. Rainbows

*slapslapslap* in England it's pitch!

18. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Actually in Stronghold it is still Pitch so.. somebody needs to learn their vocabulary.

19. darDar

darDar KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

I'm totally for the fire arrows and have ever been.
    Though I doubt it will be easy to make a proper balance for this.

20. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We're likely to add modding support at some point, it's just a pain converting the current content to something more data driven. It'll be at some point once we've actually got the free game semi-finalised.

Fire arrows and wooden structures are more likely to happen soon, wooden structures faster than fire arrows sadly :P