1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Flying Cuccos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpitfireXero, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

Ahem. King Arthur's Gold is set in the middle ages. I do believe Leonardo Da'Vinci was from the renaissance.

2. SpitfireXero

SpitfireXero KAG Guard Tester

I also believe that chickens existed in the middle ages, I could be wrong...

3. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

No I'd say that's right. But I don't think Bison were relevant in the middle ages :P .

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Could possibly be extended to mod specific flags.

I like the idea of gliders but they don't make sense. This does in a funny way that will complement the gameplay nicely, I think. We'll have to see, but multiple-use animals is a good thing (Chicken = food + parachute + glider). You could always shoot someone out of the air too, as their speed would be drastically reduced.

We'd be able to remove skyladders this way too - likely making ladders not be able to give or receive support sideways so at least more expensive bridges would need to be used, we just want there to be some gameplay above ground, and more controlled tunnelling. I played a game last night where the enemy were so set on winning they attempted to tunnel under 2/3 of the map to get to our base. Terrain modification changes needed I think :/

re: bison don't make sense - if they're wisent/zubr (which they are, their heads aren't big or wooly enough to be american bison) then it does make sense as they've been around for ages. There were also other giant cows and I think larger horses (bigger than Clydesdale horses) but those got hunted to death.

5. SpitfireXero

6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

This has gotten out of control please don't implement this, most servers will have this game breaker on, I mean Flying chickens for a start is stupid, oh and y'know what the Middle ages is? The 'Renaissance'. They are both the same. Chickens cannot fly, they are poultry not flying machines. Geti that's good an' all but I reckon folks will still skybridge and with the chickens it will develop into a game breaking insta-win.

(The Renaissance is not a very good term, as it doesn't mean anything to do with an age it just means the revival of art and literature under the influence of classical models in the 14th–16th centuries.)

7. SpitfireXero

Lireal how is it game breaking? The chickens would not be almighty eagles, they would be used to gently glide down. The distance they would be able to glide would probably not even be far because first of all they're chickens, and you're right that they're not flying machines. Second, and most importantly, they probably wouldn't be able to go too far simply because it WOULD be gamebreaking if players could use them to soar across the map. Archers can't scale walls with their arrows but everybody loves that too. Essentially, with gravity and a heavy person would come into effect and the chicken would slowly come down.

8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

You should just plummet have you see the weight of a chicken compared to a human!? I want a semi-realistic game, not some 'gliding cucco' (Should be Cuckoo/Cuccoo).

9. Catakus

Catakus KAG Guard Tester

Historians don't play KAG. People who want to ride angry bison do.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Good, turn the unrealistic things off in the server flags.
    We're going to add a lot of other things to make the game more (and less) realistic. I'd like to allow having a fully realistic mode where construction takes minutes and falling any appreciable distance cripples you, but that's barely going to be the main direction for the game. Completely silly play is unlikely to be a development focus either but seriously, fun here and there never hurt anything.
    We're not aiming to have the game literally set anywhere in the real world because of the creative limitations. It's based on early medieval Europe in a loose sense. They didn't have many articulated mechanisms there either, but I'd like to have them in-game.

11. SpitfireXero

Gliding Chickens are an intelligent species.

12. ComJak

ComJak Shipwright

Sorry but i have to butt in here.

This game is set in the DARK ages. Da Vinci was from the Renaissance. Dark ages doesn't equal Renaissance

13. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Guest

The middle ages was not the same as the renaissance. The renaissance came after the middle ages with the realisation of art, literature and architecture (as well as the re-development of cities/societies). Either event was just an 'age', but that's not a meaningless term; there are major differences (one being that the renaissance was a lot less barbaric than the middle ages).

'Realism' is such an arbitrary term. You say you want a realistic game, but to what end? A single unrealistic aspect rules out all realism. A game may be highly realistic, but once an unrealistic aspect is in the mix it isn't exactly realistic/semi-unrealistic, it's technically just unrealistic.

And realism isn't really anything to do with games, unless story or immersion is a major feature. KAG is a quirky game -- certainly not realistic. Excluding valid gameplay mechanics for the sake of 'semi-realism' alone seems rather unpurposed.

14. miaow

miaow Guest

I don't know how you can talk about realistic in most games, this one included. Carrying around up to 25 blocks of gold, stone, wood? A chicken glider would be a very cool addition, like the bison.

15. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Look I am only trying to save this game from humiliation. Flying CHICKENS are insanely impossible, I don't know why you want to add something from a previous Highly respected game into a small time indie game. I don't see why we should include an unrealistic item into a game set in the 'Dark Ages' (The Middle Ages isn't KAG I understand I was just pointing something out and using Leonardo Da Vinci as an example..). I am highly against letting this turn into some shit filled indie game when there are bugs and glitches in game that are needed to be fixed before we think about adding something as fucked up as flying chickens. I know that Carrying around a large amount of materials is unrealistic but I'm sure I was talking about the setting of the game and it's scenarios.

16. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

You're overreacting more than just a little bit, Lireal! Yes, it is a silly and unrealistic idea, but it is also fun and in jest and maybe useful. It's not as if there are plans in place to implement this thing right this very second- to the public eye, there aren't even concrete plans at all. You've voiced your concerns blatantly enough, so there's no need to get uppity over game direction.

17. SpitfireXero

It's all in good fun, like Angry Bison and arrow jumping. And it would prove useful, and is easily manageable, as well as easy to balance. And as Kyzak said, Geti has only stated that he's interested in it and will take it into consideration. Nothing is solidified.

18. dwatring

dwatring KAG Guard Tester

Chicken Coop building that's 2x4 and you can grab chickens from would be awesome.

19. SpitfireXero

As well, there is nothing wrong with paying tribute to one of the greatest game series ever. Big name developers reference games all the time! But that's not the point.

20. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Okay so I should just stop voicing my opinions because Geti hasn't said it's set in stone? I just have to point these things out because I don't want to see the game abused in such a way.