1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Forum Forum donations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Shadlington, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Exactly. I don't have the feeling we are being heard though lol. Well I will donate as soon as it changes :) (and I get paypal to work lol, but that shouldn't be a problem. I hope...) And I guess donations are still accepted even though it's implemented now?

2. GrimWaltz

GrimWaltz Shopkeep Stealer

Yes, I do understand. But for that same reason, I understand why it's a good idea to take it away. But to reference your "once a donator, always a donator!" standpoint. It's not because you donated once, that you donated a million times. In one year time, you might still be a previous donator, it doesn't mean you still donate. You keep the trophy as I said. But it means you no longer are a current donator. That's the only difference. If you want people to see that you were are a donator, you can just say, look at my thropy list, I donated.

One other solution could be implementing a sort of "ranking" system. That every time you donated a year, you get a different stripe. But that just makes it a "i'm better than you because I have more stripes" situation.

Again, you shouldn't donate just to get the ribbon. That's not the point of a donation. You are donating for us all. As they work for us, think for us, create for us, and spend their time with us.
    You can consider the ribbons a reason to donate, but then you don't have to be pissed if it get's taken away.
    The fact remains, Donating is gifting to a fund or cause.

You should be happy you get anything in return.
    In life, if you want to stand out of the crowed, either
    - you are spectacular in what you do: Like the devs.
    - your needed to be seen because you make a difference and keep order: like a guard.
    - you paid for the fancies: bought the game.
    - people are very thankful: Donators, in this case.

No matter where you go, if you give money to a poor person, you'll never get a medal. And I don't care about getting a medal for it. It's common sense to help them. You don't see people complaining to the beggars because you gave them money and you got nothing in return. If you donate to charity, you don't expect a big parade in your name and honor? If you do, you're wrong and didn't get the picture.

Point is, just be grateful you get something in return.
    If you don't agree with it, then don't donate. It's as simple as that :p
    It's called donating for a reason. If you want that ribbon so badly to be heads up above the crowed, to get your fancies on, pay for it. But I really would hate to see them give ribbons and medals away just because people are so ungrateful and greedy. On the other hand I would hate to see other people lose the gratefulness of the cause, because of greed.

But if people kept sending complaints because they don't receive enough stuff because they donated?
    All I can say is that you're way too spoiled and shouldn't have donated at all.
    so, this would be my advice to you both and anyone in the future as well:

If you can't donate with an open heart and mind.
    Then don't donate.
    You gain nothing and you lose nothing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's as far as I'll let this go.
    If you don't want to understand, or don't agree, so be it. We all have different opinions,
    but this isn't a popularity contest either. This is how it is, and how I hope it will stay. (given the fact that more donator goodies hopefully pop up? :oops: I would never say no, to more goodies :p) If the devs decide to change it, that will be their choice, and I respect that in all ways in the acceptable amount and if it doesn't misuse the community. I'm thankful for what we get, and have been given already. If you have a hard time finding peace with this, though luck, but that's life. Any further conversation on this fact without better argumentation (which, there is non. Because in donating the only opinion you have is: "i will donate" or "I will not donate") is pointless, and therefor redundant.

You're voices have been heard, and so has mine.
    :) Now let it rest, as we did our part.

I wish you both the very best in whatever it is you are planning to do.

- GrimWaltz

GHOZT likes this.
  3. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Look, I'm not complaining if I lose it or whatever, nor was I worried about ever getting it at all. I donated before they even announced the Trophy OR the banner. I knew what I was getting into when I bought this. I never expected I would get all this stuff. I realize that a donation is a donation and you shouldn't expect to get something in return. It's eight dollars, I can and will easily renew it after the year, but my point is, a donation shouldn't feel like a subscription. I see your point, and, hopefully, you see mine. We've both already donated, so the deed is done. Whatever else is up to the devs, and is out of our hands.

EDIT: I thought you donated, never mind that part.

//don't quote long posts, just snip them and if you need to reference a specific part, just copy that section

GrimWaltz likes this.
  4. GrimWaltz

I'm going to donate in the weekend. Needed to set up a paypal and stuff, so I'm waiting for that to work and then donate. ^_^

:p So I'm a soon to be, donater.

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Just don't inadvertently send an eCheque, like me --> they take over two-three weeks to clear/finalise. I deposited before Shad officially posted about it, and I'm still waiting for my money to hit the donations account. :(

6. GrimWaltz

Ow, really? <_< in this day and age, with the internet and all, at least office buildings should have sped up...
    I mean, before the internet was so popular, in one week time, you could send a letter from one side to world and back. Now, with internet, it takes 3 weeks and it isn't guaranteed that it will work xD

I'll be using paypal... :oops:
    Please be gentle... it's my first time... :oops:

But you know FuzzyBlueBaron, I'm sure that in the end, they will get your donation, and you will be able to boast about your double ribbons!

GHOZT likes this.
  7. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

Ok, looks like we've got banners beneath our avatars now. Mine says Forum Donator, but I'm actually a Global Moderator too. Could I get that title instead? :P

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  8. GrimWaltz

IT HAS BEEN REPLACED! xD

9. masonmistel

masonmistel Comma King Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Auri has both! :D

10. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Stop spamming, be newb forever :)

11. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Eggnogg, maybe we should grab Auri and shake him upside down until he tells us the secret of having both banners? (Plus, there's always the chance of scoring some loose change... :D)

illu and GrimWaltz like this.
  12. Eggnogg

OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR AVATARS :shad:

13. GrimWaltz

You got :shad:'rolled?

Eggnogg likes this.
  14. Eggnogg

15. GrimWaltz

:shad: believe someone, I'll name no names, has a :shad: problem... ;)

16. miniswrider

miniswrider Bison Rider

</br>--- merged: Apr 2, 2012 3:21 AM ---</br>
    by the :shad:, do you have any :shad: you can give :shad:?
    :shad:needs some:shad:itty :shad::shad::shad:.
    </br>--- merged: Apr 2, 2012 3:35 AM ---</br>
    I agree
    </br>--- merged: Apr 2, 2012 3:39 AM ---</br>
    oh and srsly i think you can make a donate thing so tht u dont have to donate $5 or $8, you can donate sumthin like 2.00
    or $3
    b'cuz i think i hav sum spare change. mebbe also a (temporary) lifetime banner an a 1-day banner.

17. GrimWaltz

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

I see you changed peoples quotes to, I guess, satire them?
    I'm not entirely sure. Maybe you could explain that?
    And because of ---->:shad: <--- I'm not exactly understanding what you are trying to say.
    So if you would like to repeat that, that would be helpful. :)

And since you are new to the forum, I'm sure you don't know this, but could you please quote in one post instead of merging several posts?
    Because for every post you send and automatically gets merged, we get an alert. Meaning you spam people's alerts when they are following a thread.

It would be best if you used the "Edit" button under your old post if you want to add more content to your previous post instead of post several reactions directly after your own post. :)

miniswrider and Neat like this.
  18. Bene

Bene Free cookies for everyone! ☭ Donator Tester

I just sold my ad space to Hella for that beautiful Avatar he drew me.
    If you want to be the next to advertise in my user status just send me an idea what you want to draw for me. Hella's drawing shows my old avatar with cookies. You'll have to come up with something new. His message will be displayed for two weeks.

illu, Wonkyth, Contrary and 2 others like this.
  19. Kurtino

Kurtino Shipwright

The only thing that keeps me donating is the fact that it's not a one time payment...like someone else said the fact that you donated shouldn't expire or the thing next to your name that shows you have. Donation systems work in a lot of games with people who donate more getting more from it, even if its a title or a symbol next to your name, things that are trivial but people would pay for just so they get something out of it which is virtually nothing. Also the reason why indie games are so popular nowadays, you put down a smallish investment, a one time payment and you're good to go.

I understand the lack of one time payment is to keep people paying later so they don't lose their titles, which is the goal of any sort of recurring membership but it's going to put off a lot of people. I would have thought the best method while still getting constant money from people is to at least keep the Donation title as a default one time thing and keeping the custom title as a membership thing but having it entirely recurring membership based seems like a bad move which will throw a lot of people off from doing it, myself including.

masonmistel, Neat and BoiiW like this.
  20. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Your view: "I donate." --> "I get something back."
    My view: "I got something for free." (ongoing fun playing the game, a great community, ...) --> "I donate."

Not talking about the premium version of the game or the forum donations but just in general. Keep the definition in mind: Donations are given without return consideration.

SARGRA13, Bene and Kouji like this.