1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Forum warnings

Discussion in 'Forum, wiki and other THD pages' started by BoiiW, Feb 22, 2012.

Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97
  1. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

• Testing
    Maybe if we changed the warnings to a calming blue people will not think it such a large issue.

2. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

They're blue on the xenblue theme, aren't they?

EDIT: Tested on Fellere - yep!

Fellere825 likes this.
  3. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

So everyone having an issue go to the calming zenblue theme and chill a bit.

Note: The only problem with it is it matches the same coloration of quotes exactly.

4. Shadlington

I could (and probably should) change that...

5. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Okay well I will just say one last thing.

I opened this thread to share my thoughts on forum warnings, to improve the way the guards handle the rules and to give an alternative for the forum warnings. The only thing I get in return is burning, flaming and an insult by a forum guard.

I would just like to say, I never intended any flaming or insulting. I made this thread with the best intentions and to help. It feels bad seeing how ''certain'' people (they probably know who they are) only see this as an attack on either themselves or the forums (even implying I don't like these forums) and just can't take any critique whatsoever.

I thought that better enforcement (note; not necessarily stricter) of the forum rules would be a positive thing, but there just doesn't seem to be any room for change here, no room to even think about it. It just saddens me that a great forum like this needs to have a certain amount of people who have to make a flame war out of everything, see everything as a personal attack, have to argue every single thing and try to be the best every time. As if this is some kind of competition. Sometimes this irritates me so much that I tend to post a comment like that as well (hence, the ''tautology-reply'')

Anyway, I just wanted to say that yes, I made some mistakes in my posts and other people did too. It just feels bad to be the one handled as some kind of troll or flamer while I made this thread with the best intentions. I would have used a different vocabulary if I was trying to flame or anything in that direction.

So yea... I just wanted to let you guys know that. I know most the community are great people but there is always a small part that has to ruin it for the rest and that saddens me.

And if a guard would be kind enough to close this thread now, that would be great. I can see it brings nothing but trouble, and I hope it's clear that nothing of that was intended by me making this thread. (As you might be able to read in the first post)...

Best regards,

BoiiW

PS. While I was writing this, shad and fellere posted some great stuff haha, thanks for that! That is exactly what I was talking about! :) a good change :)

6. Shadlington

Eh, I have kinda neglected to respond to this thread directly because I posted it about the same issues over in potatomcwhiskey's awesome post in general dis that covered this stuff too.

But the short version is I am already planning a major overhaul of how we do things on the forum, and most of your concerns will at the very least be considered and (I hope) in the main be resolved.

7. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

Thank you very much :)

I would still like this thread to be closed though, if that's possible. I'm paranoid for more flaming here.

8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

But on the xenFracture (old) theme they're red? I like the black theme as it makes it much sleeker, but in fear of being warned for off-topic - I feel the warnings are a suitable method of making people notice that justice has been served and what for.

9. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

"Miscellaneous"? Or you could go medieval and call it "The tavern" or smth

10. Shadlington

Donnnnne.
    Trashcan is there now too.

Noburu and dnmr like this.
  11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Verily nice, can we get no post count/like count in both of them?

Also should probably be made obvious if it isn't already that trash can goes for all the stupid stuff like forum games and such and the divide between the two and what goes where "Like my music guise ? XD LOL" threads go where? Is one for more serious discussion of just 'anything' and the other one for stopid stupid people stuff? :S Confuzzling.

And also what rules 'ARE' there in the trashcan, is it a lawless place? Can all be solved with a nice sticky.

although it very much seems that you guys want to keep as far away from this as possible, just some excerpt forum ideas that worked very well to keep a good community for games going for a long time (9 years now still a strong community) in it's Miscellaneous section:
    Other/Misc Area - "Social discussions about anything under the sun"
    Rant Area - "Been a bad day? Shout all your problems and rants"
    |-Flame Area - "Get your flame shield ready when you enter this lightly moderated board. Don't get burned!"

The Flame Area really only works because generally no one would ever go there, most people don't realize it if they are being flamed and it's usually used in a way that only if a lot of people seem to have a problem with a person they can set it straight, it depends on how strong the community is to start and how accepting they are going to be of new people, do they want it to grow but just not with the wrong people? Do they accept newcomers at all? That sort of thing.
    Other /Misc Area easily handled everything.

Also the name Trashcan seems a bit misleading to be honest, I would think it's somewhere we can't post but only dead/locked threads are moved by a moderator.(Something that would be nice to see so the locked threads aren't just sitting there honestly ;P)

e: Obviously the only thread in flame area would be about Contrary.

Noburu, illu, Valkyrie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

We have a section for this that currently isn't available to the public, as deletion just hides the post from normal usergroups and that's unnecessary clutter. I usually wait about a day for the thread poster to see that it was locked before moving it, but sometimes I-and others-- forget entirely. Whoops.

I understand that you meant no ill, and neither did I; your complaint is legitimate, but its' context is undeniably petty, and it is for that reason I brushed it aside. I apologize profusely. At the same time, however, you must understand that there is a difference between whining and criticism; I am very tolerant to one and very appreciative for the other, but it's usually hard to distinguish the two, and I don't think you came off as intended. There is absolutely no way I or anybody else can please everyone in this position; there is no definitively right way to follow, and every member who complains has a different take on what should be done about the perceived problem. It gets tiring, and an outside perspective utterly fails to understand this, no matter where their heart might be.

I want to do the best I possibly can for this community-while still being a part of it--, but it's often very hard to glean useful bits of critique from the pile, and unrealistic expectations are often more frustrating than motivating. Authoritative machines we may not be, but I will aim to please nonetheless.

13. BoiiW

BoiiW Shark Slayer

I see your point :) and I get that too :)

Well I am happy with what Shad said. I feel a lot happier on these forums again, knowing that a complaint can actually be taken into account and handled maturely :]

14. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

The problem with that is a lot of deleted posts/threads are very fun to read.

Valkyrie likes this.
Mods: dnmr, Kazaco97