1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Galen's Soul (SYTO's thread [Fine, "Philosophy Thread"])

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sytoplasma, Nov 5, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I was referencing you gif posted above my post I didn't mean it disrespectfully, but you seem to assume im rebelling or some random shiz because your an "older member" derp have fun with that

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

No, I'm just a cynical 26yo who puts a lot of store by Mark Twain's observation that:
    Please, forgive any overt wryness on my part.

3. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Sweet mother, what is this stupidity?! Am I truly discussing with people so blind and uneducated?
    The Bible surely is full of contradictions, and it's bad to exploit it by using different quotes in different situation ("Well, that's what the Good Book says, so it is true and we should do that").
    This is exactly what I mentioned before. The God of the New and Old testament is different. In the Old Testament he is just, strict, sometimes even cruel, but only to those who deserve it:
    And yet in the New Testament, after the teaching of Jesus, the God is forgiving, understanding, loving.
    If you use one ideal in one situation, and another in the second, that means you are purely exploiting your own faith, or you're a blind and hugely stupid believer.

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Classy opening there, Ferne; classy opening. :potato:

Fair warning, if you want to actually argue Christian theology, I don't mess around. I see faaaaaar too much shoddy exposition of biblical texts (both Scripture and associated texts) these last 13 years to have much truck with it. So, if you really want to go down this road, either shape up or ship out.

Anyway. Enough being pretentious.
    1. The God of the OT and NT are one and the same (unless you're actually engaging in Jewish theology--in which case the NT is a collection of insight (mixed with the occasional piece of heresy) by the rabbi Yeshua bar Yusuf and the deluded writings of some of his disciples who couldn't deal with him dying and, instead, decided to stage a long-running hoax that they remained so committed to that most of the original hoaxers were executed/tortured to death for refusing to admit that they'd just made the whole thing up).
    2. What translation did you pull that quote from? If you're going to engage in biblical scholarship then ensuring you use a variety of quality translations and commentaries (as well as returning to the original languages for difficult passages) is essential. Either pick a good translation or post in the original language--not some abominable half-cast of non-Latin languages using Latin characters.
    I stand by that comic I posted. If you've got the impression that the Bible is rife with contradiction, etc. then you're just highlighting your own ignorance (not trying to say this in a mean way, just stating what's what--the deeper you dig into this text, the better and better it holds together).

5. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

lern2 14th century english m9

6. FuzzyBlueBaron

Any translation that comes in 14C English is not acceptable for any kind of honest attempt to grapple with the texts. Either find some decent source texts (I can recommend a few if you're stuck) or stop trolling.

7. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

I AM THE NECROMANCER, AND I SUMMON(tag) MECHAGALEN(@Galen)

icemusher likes this.
  8. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower

Guys, I know they're cut from the same cloth, but theology and philosophy are not the same thing. So, unless you want to try to get FBB to change the thread's title (yet again), lets stick to philosophy.

I'd also like to point out that theology discussion is high octane, weapons-grade troll bait, so engaging in it with randoms is at your peril.

One last note, as well:
    You guys really seem to be ganging up on FBB's religion, yet he has not taken one single swipe at yours. Consider your words, please.

9. PUNK123

Most of the people arguing with him are athiests and can feel insulted by his repeated use of "trolls" and overall his condescending attitude When you read what he writes, but I don't see any posts attacking his religion(I could be wrong)

im also just getting used to dealing with a person who treats me like a child its abit irritating

10. FuzzyBlueBaron

Really, I don't mind discussing theology here. I've a good deal of training/expertise/knowledge in the area (particularly Christian theology [almost 14 years study], as that's my speciality, but I can also do some Islamic stuff [2-3 years study] and a smattering of a number of other faith-systems [sporadic dabbling in study over the years]) and would happily bring my experience to bear on any questions/ponderings/wonderings people might have about things they've (personally) only skimmed the surface of.

Seriously. Knowledge is only half as entertaining if you keep it all to yourself. :dance:

Fernegulus likes this.
  11. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Well what we discussed so far was a matter of both theology and philosophy, because although we did talk about religion, it was the morality aspects of it, rather than the existance of God and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

12. FuzzyBlueBaron

Also:
    @PUNK123 - Really, you have two choices:
    1. Take my words for what they are: the honest, earnest communications of a bright intelligence who fiercely wants to know, to learn, to share (and expects that you'll meet him halfway); or,
    2. You can read into them whatever insult and condescension you like and think me baide.
    Either way, I guess I'm done tying myself up in knots trying to justify and explain myself. It's exhausting, infuriating, and, quite frankly, it feels pointless. :huh?:
    Ice scraper.gif

If you want to think me condescending, fine. So be it. I'm sure it's your prerogative to presume to assign me whatever attitude makes you feel good about yourself. (Hint: here, I'm just annoyed; not being patronising :v)

{edit}
    Also, also:
    @Fernegulus, fwiw, I don't particularly appreciate being taken for a ride/trolled (I mean, quoting an obviously defunct translation of the Bible? Really?); but if you want to genuinely expand your understanding on a theological topic (and not just 'bait the Christian', hurhur) then I'll do my best to explain clearly and concisely.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Hella likes this.
  13. PUNK123

Um im not assigning anything to you im still pretty newish to the forum and have only dealt with you once(lets avoid this though)so I never really got that you write a specific way. Im not using condescending as an accusation im just saying that is what I get with the words that you write(comes off a little insulting at times)So I just need to not value those parts.

14. NinjaCell

NinjaCell Haxor

If you're going to ignore everything people say that offends you, you will learn very little.

15. PUNK123

Your just.......

I will ignore fuzzy's writing that I find condescending and get to his point because that is what is important not his "prezzy up to older members" or comments like tht tht I assume are jokes or something because they aren't important just like you joining into this isn't important and pretty random

16. FuzzyBlueBaron

Anyway, moving on, anyone here actually sat down and thought through the actual pragmatics of trying to draw a reasonable line as to where personhood begins? (And ends, I guess, but I personally haven't thought through that one yet; whereas I've done the "where does 'life' begin" question as a back-and-forth with my father-in-law a while ago).

I'm not talking about any of that "pro-life", or "pro-choice" crap. Both sides are clearly for life and choice; the real question is actually where they draw the line between "not accorded the epithet 'human life'" and "accorded the epithet 'human life'".

As I said, I've given this some careful thought (both from a Christian doctrinal angle, and from a generalist/secular angle) but seeing as I'm literally minutes away from being kicked out of the library I thought I'd put the question out there for people to ponder and maybe offer some thoughts; and then I'll come back an share a few of my own conclusions.

So: where could/might the line between "young human" and "not young human" get drawn? And why? Are there any edge-cases or special considerations that need to be taken into account?

NB: a few important things to keep in mind:
    1. Remember to clearly state which theoretical framwork you're using (e.g. Christian, secular, whatever) and then stick to it!
    2. If people post something that's clearly not a carefully weighed/considered opinion (i.e. if they're just spouting off pro life/choice bs propaganda; OR if they're being a totally insensitive berk--in what is obviously a sensitive issue) then I will happily nuke their post and/or mute them from the thread for a week or two. I'm serious. This topic could be really worthwhile, but it also has the potential to get ugly--so everyone just tread nice and softly and we'll get along fine. :heart:

icemusher and PUNK123 like this.
  17. PUNK123

Im speaking from an secular point of view

I consider "it" human after 10 weeks when the brain develops/begins to function and I also think the women has lost the right to choose at that point(wow I sould like an ass)because even though it is their body they made "it" and now it has become human and is imo alive

icemusher and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

Excellent! A bold stance taken and reason given for it--and the requisite humility to know when your bold stance might be uncomfortable for some. Exactly what we're looking for here! ::D:

Tell me, @PUNK123, do you think there are any special circumstances under which the mother (and/or father--guys often get left out of the debate [or even deliberately excluded from the debate], simply because their physical involvement is one step removed--if a reason is given at all) retains the right to choice?

What about medical emergencies (where it's the mother's life or the child's?

What about cases of rape? Or incest?

What about cases where the child is severely deformed (physically and/or mentally)?

These are hard questions that need answering if we're going to answer the main question fully...

19. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Firstly, I don't know where to stick a framework. I guess some of my point of view comes from Christianity, but also not. Somewhere around there, then, especially since it's not exactly a black-and-white situation.

I'd say a human foetus can be classed as human, because, biologically, it is one. Termination of a child should be allowable throughout the early stages of it's growth, say, up until the point where it could viably survive outside the womb, which seems to be around a 50% chance of survival when born after 5 months (24 weeks). After that, adoption would be my go to solution, unless the child would suffer from severe mental or physical deformations with the potential to drastically worsen quality of life, in which case the choice is up to the mother.
    If it's the mother or the child, then always the mother.
    Incest? If it was voluntary, then I don't particularly relish the idea of it, but same rules should apply.

Does this discussion imply that only humans can be persons?

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  20. FuzzyBlueBaron

Not necessarily (although, topic for another day, I do feel there are some pretty compelling reasons to grant personhood to humans and not animals, plants, minerals); for the sake of simplicity though, let's just assume for argument's sake that personhood is restricted to humans.

Also, you missed out rape; which is a classic/textbook exception that people raise.

Also, also, out of interest, Hella: why does it matter whether the foetus is viable outside of the womb? I mean, considering that (outside of external intervention like, say, an abortion) it would be reasonable in most cases to assume that the foetus would be staying inside the womb until it was ready to make egress of its own volition?

Mods: BlueLuigi