1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Galen's Soul (SYTO's thread [Fine, "Philosophy Thread"])

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sytoplasma, Nov 5, 2014.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

I don't feel that I needed to include rape, for the simple reason that the criteria I suggested gave ample time for termination of a child, no matter the circumstances of it's conception. I mean, if the woman had been locked in a room for 7 months after being raped, and had no chance to go through with an abortion, then I'd call them special circumstances.

I'd say that if the foetus has the potential to survive outside of the 'womb', then it's time to give them a sporting chance in this shithole. I guess, I feel that if they could survive if removed, then they should be given the full opportunity to do so.
    Yes, the kid would probably remain in the womb until they leave home of their own accord, in order to give them the best chance of survival past that threshold.

I have to say, I'd be far happier purely with adoption all along, because I pretty sure that they're human, if not a person yet. Biologically, they should be human, they are made of all human parts, after all.

icemusher likes this.
  2. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

We already know non humans can be persons.

Corporations are legally persons. There's a fantastic write up on this concept here. An extract to whet your appetite;

icemusher, hierbo and Hella like this.
  3. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This topic is very interesting, especially from a legal perspective. It seems likely that there will never be perfect consensus on it, as there are so many unknowable pieces of information, and so many different perspectives on the relevance of the empathy to the fetus, itself.

Unlike normal legal rulings on this sort of thing, there is no way to err on the side of caution in order to placate all groups. No matter where you place the threshold, a large swath of humanity will either be appalled at the restriction of freedom or appalled at the termination of the fetus.

As an agnostic, I suppose I have no choice but to see this from a secular perspective, despite any attempts to look through the eyes of a spiritual person. Even then, though, I don't think I can take any position at all that I am comfortable with the defensibility of. This is one of those situations where I think that all of the choices are terrible.

4. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

I think fathers have equal rights to the child, but not while it is inside the mother so he should never get a choice and why I kinda believe this is fair.

for rape if the woman doesn't go through the necessary testing(I believe theyre called rapekits?)and if they do not get tested at all for over 2 months I think they've lost the right to chose even though theyre the victim. The case of incest I feel depends on the factors of: did they know they were related beforehand, did they find out they were related after the 10 week period, and would the child end up deformed.

That is a different issue even here up until the 1980's we(united states)did cleansing of the mentally ill, deformed, and criminal(not allowing them to reproduce by well you know.....snip snip)

5. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
Mods: BlueLuigi