1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Game mode Idea: Tower Race

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Shambls, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

I'm planning on nerfing ladders quite at bit, so people can start making creative designs. I'm also going to look into fixing the "next map" bug and the fact that archers can't always use their grappling hook.

2. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

I managed to get a game in and this is pretty interesting. Having the ideal tower building so close to the opponents ideal building location whoever starts building there tower highest first basically gets instant access to the opponents base via shield gliding knights. Also because height is more important than thickness of the walls it makes archer bomb arrows so much more devastating.

Other than ladder spam and most players not really having a clue how to play its looking good.

The zero spawn timer makes camping impossible and the chasm in the middle has made for some hilarious shenanigans.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  3. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

yeah- nerfing ladders would be good, the games just devolve into ladder spam at beginning and then victory music. If possible make it so a good base to your tower is more important than pure speed.

4. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

Look what i found (After a few hours of folder foolishness)!
    Code:
        {  // ladder
            BuildBlock b( 0, "ladder", "$ladder$",
                            "Ladder\nAnyone can climb it" );
            AddRequirement( b.reqs, "blob", "mat_wood", "Wood", 10 );
            blocks.push_back( b );
        }
    I found this in CommonBuilderBlocks.as (Among all other blocks). I may either increase the cost or remove it completely. How would you like it configured?
    Also here's what I've been working on recently.
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    New map added. Also ladders now cost 50 (five times more) wood.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Sir_Walter likes this.
  5. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

Increase the cost. The ladder is still a valuable tool we want to reduce spam. If this doesn't work then probably should get rid of it completely.

8x likes this.
  6. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

well the ladder is the only thing that let's you get into the flag room if you didn't build your tower directly underneath it.

Sir_Walter likes this.
  7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Nice to see this. I think that having a pit in the middle of the map pushes both theams to build upwards near mid for even being able of attacking.

I did this map some ago, it's based on the very first Babel-like map, made by a guy called steve_jobs. At a certain point you're able to attack but not before. There's no gold so you can't build any siege shop.

steve_jobs' Babel.png

but yeh, you can reach the top by just spamming ladders or wooden blocks, and griefers can throw the seeds to the pit. An idea could be a map with no resources, in which builders use only the ones at tent. I don't know if players woukd suicide repeatedly to get resources faster, but it will need some planning.

Shambls and Sir_Walter like this.
  8. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

I really like that idea of a map with no resources because you could make the map super tiny and based on how many resources builders get at the tent basically controls how slow or fast a game can progress. This idea in itself could easily half the time a game would take purely because you don't have to take time to harvest resources (with proper tunnel transit). It would also make it much faster paced it would be interesting to see how or if this would work.

9. Frederikam

Frederikam Drill Rusher

To how much? 80 wood? What other items/building/blocks should be balanced?
    @Shambls what's your username (not to be confused with nickname)? We need more admins on the server to prevent tower grief. I already found someone by the name @tobz789 to help me out, but he's in the exact same timezone as myself.

Edit: Well the server is down due to a new KAG update. Will fix later when i get the time (In roughly 6-7 hours, not the best timing.)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  10. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

May I be admin? If you want I'll write an application

Shambls likes this.
  11. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Since this was already suggested, and now there is a server hosting this gamemode I'm locking this.
    Feel free to open a thread in Server Directory and continue this discussion there.

Mods: Rainbows
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.