1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[Game Mode] Rambomatch

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by hierbo, Dec 4, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'd like to suggest an idea for a game mode that I stole from @MM 's earlier game: Soldat.

The mode was called Rambomatch, though I certainly think it would need a more KAG-suitable name here, such as King Match or something to that effect.

In this mode, the game has a set time limit, and all players start on the same team. Shortly after match start, a big power-up type of item with infinite uses drops randomly on the map. The first person to grabs it becomes King; incredibly powerful in some way, and starts accruing points at a constant rate. When he finally gets killed, he drops the item, stops accruing points, and someone else can pick it up. The killed character respawns on the starting team.

Whoever has the most points at game end wins.

Anyone else think this mode would work for KAG?

2. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

I'm assuming it would be edited RTDM? because that's the only way I see this working...

Otherwise; The Idea of having all on one team bar the King is kinda fruity, I mean, they'd be trying to kill each other from the get go anyway.

3. hierbo

The mode would definitely be more like TDM than any other current mode: yes.

However, they wouldn't be able to kill each other because they're all on the same team, except the guy that picks up the superweapon. The longer the king lives, the more points he gets. If he gets shelled right away, oh well, not many points.

The mode would probably also benefit from maps with tunnels and/or skylands to allow the King to not be constantly pincered.

4. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

It doesn't seem like it would be... for lack of a better word, varied. I mean sure, for the first five minutes its fun, but then the pro-est knight gets the power-up and just owns everyone, maybe... not a power up, but a power down with benefits?

5. Kramgnauh

Kramgnauh Bison Rider

Instead of a op knight, how about an rambo/robin hood op archer. He/she can be strong but still squishy enough to get killed easily when not careful.

6. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I've played something like this. Chrispiiiiiiin!

7. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Sounds like King of the Hill which already has a name that suits KAG.

Grab a flag. Hold it as long as you can. Get a buff to live longer and do more damage to others. Things like regen health, faster movement speed, lower gravity, etc.

It is really fun. Classic had something like it for a bit on a modded server.

8. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

This power up could slowly degenerate the longer one person has it until they are just a normal person who gets point for staying alive. That would keep one person from hogging it.

Klokinator likes this.
  9. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

With shield bashing you could out run knights for days just getting points, or just camp a high spot. Would have to be balanced heavily, Still sounds neat though.

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Sword in the ground, pull it out become King Arthur? or ARTHULON the robot from the future sent to destroy humanity.

Either way this sounds like something that has potential to be very fun, I love those infection or 1v all type game modes.

Klokinator, Nivlac_13, Piano and 2 others like this.
  11. Mexer

Mexer Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. No Control - to be deleted. inactive

In case people haven't played the Soldat's rambo match gamemode: A player picks up a bow that can kill anyone with one arrow (the arrow can be lit on fire as well and be explosive). Everyone hunts the player down with weapons but they can't shoot each other. Once the bow owner dies, they can kill each other while attempting to get the bow themselves.

I don't know how well the game mechanics of KAG would allow such a mod to be fun and captivating... People here are suggesting a Hold the flag mod which is a bit different. I think once people start fighting for a fallen flag it basically turns the game into chaotic deathmatch.

I'd suggest something like Elite archer; one to own a powerful bow, or just unlimited bomb arrows (or even more, unlimited any-kind-of-arrows), while he's trying to escape all the other archers hunting him down. Then I think if the overpowered archer starts camping, it will stall the game.

Final suggestion: Archer owning the special bow to only have 1 or heart life.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  12. hierbo

The ability for the holder of the superweapon to be very hard to beat is part of the idea in this notional game mode. The specifics of what the superweapon is and does can be adjusted to make sure that the King is not completely impossible to beat.

In the Soldat Rambomatch, the holder of the Rambo bow is very, very powerful and hard to approach, but the game mode was still great fun.

Also, since you would not switch teams until the moment you pick up the superweapon, I don't think the mayhem that ensues when it is dropped would be too unbearable.

Now, regarding the superweapon itself, and what it could be; I have a couple of ideas, though there are surely others that are quite good:
    - superweapon could change your class to wizard (like from Princess Geti mode) with very powerful attacks.
    - superweapon could augment your current class at time of pickup by giving you a class-specific new special attack or move(s). The knight could get unbreakable shielding, the archer could get super bomb arrows that can't be blocked, the builder could get a harder than stone block type that he can make to protect himself.

Also, the holder of the superweapon, rather than having unlimited ammo/resources, could instead get constantly regenerating ammo/resources to mitigate super fast building or bomb spam.

Also, to discourage super cheap camping, the game could add to your score if you get kills as the King, rather than just time as King alone. Also, other players can get credited for getting King kills, so they get points if they kill the king, even if they don't end up getting the superweapon when he dies.

Keep the suggestions coming! If we can flesh out the idea, maybe we can talk a modder into trying it out; I'll totally host!

13. Mexer

Modding it isn't that hard; it just depends on how complex you want it to be and in what way you want to manipulate the game mechanics.

As for the idea, even if I think we're stretching the cord here a bit, let's not forget that in Soldat the bow owner was regenerating health constantly. Also, say the "super weapon" owner would get an advantage in points over the others. By camping and spamming attacks, winning gets easy.

How about:
    -an anti-camp system
    -knight runs faster, jabs faster, does more damage, unbreakable shield
    -archer gets regenerating arrows of all types
    -no builder class

I still think this idea has a long way to being feasible and compelling enough, but it's fun to imagine things.

14. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

I love the idea of leding the SOLDAT gamemodes in KAG! like the INVASION one!

15. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

• All archers
    • Super weapon insta-kills anyone that it's shot into.
    • Power-ups all over the map for the people who aren't the super character.
    • Arrows go further for both teams
    • Super char has 5-8 shots into him until he dies? (Maybe more, like 15-20?)
    • Different types of arrows

I'd love to play this gamemode, it gives so many ideas. Great post hierbo!1

16. Mexer

Infiltration :D

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    bru-jaz likes this.
  17. Sir_Walter

Sir_Walter Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

I think that there must be some sort of re spawn for the special item, otherwise it'll just be blind luck who gets the item. If it falls on death then there will just be a mob of players and one will get it randomly.

18. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

This reminds me of the SAXTON HALE gamemode in TF2. Its essentially the same as the rambomatch gamemode with some slight variations.

-So in Saxton Hale the "king" is random chosen at the beginning of the match
    -The objective for the "king" to win is to kill everyone before a timer ends and the objective for those fighting the king is to either kill him or survive until the time is up
    -the "king" gets a health based on how many opponents hes facing. So technically he gets harder the more people that are fighting him. He only has a melee weapon but he hits like a truck. He has crazy mobility so he can basically go anywhere on a map (super jumps (calling it a dbl or triple jump does it no justice) and I think his regular move spd is increased slightly). He also has a unique anti-camping ability where he lets out a yell of some sort and everyone is stun/dazed in a certain area.
    -In TF2 engineers do play and they essentially get unlimited resources so you could have builders if the game mode was more styled like this.

the only problem I see with doing 1 v all gamemode like this knights would have to be able to block the "king's" attacks otherwise there would be no point in play a knight.

also it should be noted that both of these 1 v all gamemodes come from games where everyone has a ranged attack. So with some unique tweaking I think this would be a great gamemode idea.

[​IMG]
    I forgot how awesome Saxton Hale was.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    hierbo likes this.
  19. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It's worth noting that when someone gets the item it will be 1v4-12 so even a pro knight could have a bit of trouble holding onto this mystical sword of whatever. If everyone is a complete scrub except for the legendary weapon holder, then yeah combined with a powerup he'll be extremely unstoppable.

Is there a Juggernaut game mode anywhere for KAG, just on a related note? One where a random player gets the Juggernaut buff and if nobody can kill them before the time is up then Juggernaut wins the match? Maybe a principle similar to that would work for kag.

20. JPD

JPD Shipwright

This seems like a brilliant idea.

Mods: Rainbows