1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Gather is back!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cameron, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Catapults' only use is to be a lagapult anyway.

2. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Without builders you'll end up just seeing the knights of both teams waiting in their towers for the enemy to come.

Sou likes this.
  3. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

my 2 cents
    I'd try to avoid or veto too flattish maps, what I've seen sometimes that sucked was
    baseTower______Towerbase
    the mid part is noman's land and any pushing without tunneling means losing more tickets.

And perhaps a bit less of stone underground, or more located, as it provokes builders tunneling, getting a shitload of stone and spaming stone doors down there. I know it'sa valid tactic, but I think it's a bit lame and does not recquire much teamwork.

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

An easy fix for that surly would be to keep builders and just disallow building/repairs after the timer expires. Sure you can mine, etc. but only for cata ammo, tramps, and the like.

Auburn likes this.
  5. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Also, you won't be able to get past a well-built tower with people camping in it unless you have money or a battle builder. You can't get money if the people are camping because you can't do damage, so you'd have to build to get money. So without builders, I think stalemates would last even longer because the majority of the time, there aren't enough coins to go around, so people would just camp in their towers.

kodysch likes this.
  6. Lawrence_Shagsworth

Lawrence_Shagsworth Joke Slayer Official Server Admin

Gather is quite fun imo. More calculations needed though

FuzzyBlueBaron and Auburn like this.
  7. PanduhsFTW

PanduhsFTW Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni

In the Suggestions section I suggested rising lava for TDM to get rid of archers hiding under maps (and for other stalemate situations, to force players onto higher ground). Perhaps the same idea could be applied in this situation.

Just a thought.

8. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

like the water in classic zombie fortress only when it touches you it isnta kills?

101i likes this.
  9. PanduhsFTW

I've never played it, but that sounds about right! Maybe not instakill, but it would set you on fire and/or do damage over time.

101i likes this.
  10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Mmm. Just thinking about battle building, if builders can't place anything then they're actually a lot less useful. :/ Perhaps, in that case, having a slow sweep coming from either side forcing people into the middle (as per @Geti's idea) would actually be the best solution.

It would certainly make "claiming the middle ground" (which everyone talks about but often never happens) a much, much higher priority-- bc, as the sweep forces people to abandon their bases on the map sides, those who fought to claim + fortify the middle will retain a massive advantage over those who were lazy buggers and let the other side take the offensive.

Which, tbh, sounds good. If your side has played well and managed to claim the middle then it seems only fair that you should have the advantage during sudden death.

So, @Skinney, I hope you're paying attention. I'm going to be a terrible person and speak for everyone, without their permission, and say what we want: on expiration of a timer we want sudden death with slow red-zones sweeping in from either end of the map to force a conclusion in the middle. Okay? Good. We'll expect it next week. ::P:

kodysch and Tern like this.
  11. PanduhsFTW

These seems like a good idea in theory, but what if the team that claimed mid has this huge, impenetrable tower built there? Once the walls start sweeping the enemy towards it, they just have to chill inside their tower until the enemy is crushed between their wall and the "sweeping force". If you try to fix it by making it just stop at a certain point and not continue to push them (in this situation, toward the big wall) then you have the same stalemate situation, just in a smaller space.

Edit: Or even better, we could be OP and build a huge trap that the entire enemy team gets swept into. Instant win! Camping rewards ftw!

PUNK123 likes this.
  12. PUNK123

make it like endgame in chess

ex. you must kill someone in the next 15 minutes or something happens(why am I still responding to this lol)

13. Blue_Tiger

Or, instead of thinking up lots of dumb gimmicky ideas.

• Timer

14. PUNK123

or instead of being a condescending jerk read the thread and see that Cameron already said that timers make the game end anticlimatical

PanduhsFTW and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  15. tickets+timer is definitely what made classic gather a unique experience!

16. Rainbows

Rainbows KAG Guard Forum Moderator Tester

I will then disagree, timers are at worst the lesser evil to tickets. personally i dont mind them much.

PanduhsFTW, Blue_Tiger and PUNK123 like this.
  17. Blue_Tiger

I disagree with that opinion. Read my other post.

18. FuzzyBlueBaron

i.e. if you allow the other guy to build some colossal phallic-replacement in the middle of the map then you damn well deserve to lose. Generally it's kinda hard to build anything "impenetrable" in the middle of the map unless the enemy decides to sit back and allow it to happen.

That said:
    I have to agree that sometimes trying to hold out on 0 tickets until the timer runs out can be pretty exciting-- but then sometimes the other team also runs out of tickets with minutes to go on the clock and its a fracking snooze-fest.

PanduhsFTW, makmoud98 and 101i like this.
  19. oh i also feel the need to point out I was being sarcastic, fucking stand offs between people trying to get the game to end and johny98 sitting in his base throwing bombs at you

PUNK123 and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  20. FuzzyBlueBaron

I know.

Just felt the need to address the "all we need is tickets+timer" before someone actually took it seriously.