1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Gather is back!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cameron, Jan 3, 2015.

1. PanduhsFTW

PanduhsFTW Ballista Bolt Thrower Staff Alumni

Advantage, yes. Instant win? No thank you.

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Eh. Again I say: if you let the other guy build shit for most of the match, unhindered by the constant application of fully righteous face-rektage, then you really, really, really deserve everything you get. :kappa:

PanduhsFTW likes this.
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: The team that claimed more land wins - I dont really mind that. IIRC Skinney's making the death-zone stop in the center, leaving a 20 or so tile "arena". We'll see how that goes. Worst comes to worst there's always the boring ideas to fall back on (hard-timer) but I don't see the harm in making the timer outcome at least a little more interesting.

Re: the true classic gather experience - :^)

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  4. Hella

Hella The Nightmare of Hair Global Moderator Donator Tester

Still get some good play with adequate folks, so gather is also good.

5. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

mumble hurts my ears doh

6. Blue_Tiger

Blue_Tiger Bison Rider Tester

Can you change the voting system so that it's like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orybDrUj4vA&ab_channel=CGPGrey
    because I generally vote for EU but also don't mind USE so much, but I just wanna commit suicide on USW. It also makes sense for those in USW, where say 3 people vote USW, 3 people vote USE and 4 people EU, fairest would be USE, but it goes to EU.

Or, if that's too complicated, just show what server each person voted for when you type !list - e.g. when it lists, it says "Some Cunt (EU), Some Noob (USE), Some Kangaroo (AUS)".

FuzzyBlueBaron and Auburn like this.
  7. cameron

cameron THD Team THD Team Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

I plan to change to voting system to just voting for EU, US or AU, then it picks the best server from those choices

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Yeah there's been lots of Aussie anger about USE voting already too so cam is feeling the heat I'm sure :^)

9. PUNK123

PUNK123 Hella wRangler Staff Alumni Tester

is usw better than use because I hear them bitch either way

10. Geti

Yes, ~100 ping better for me at least.

11. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Hey everyone,

I haven't played gather before, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have played with timers and tickets, and found them both to have their merits and flaws, many of which have been discussed at length in this thread and others.

If many of you are still dissatisfied with the system as-is, and are looking for a better alternative, allow me to propose one that I'd been mulling over.

I think that you may get better results if you fundamentally merge the two ideas: timer and tickets. The method of merging them that I have in mind is as follows: respawns after death cost a ticket, as usual, but in addition, the passage of time costs tickets, as well. The tickets will count down for each team, encouraging more urgency, since running out of tickets still means running out of respawns. This also prevents the game from just ending anticlimactically, as discussed before.

This idea is still quite rough, and has plenty of room for tweaks. For example, to keep the discussion going, how about some of these notions to get your brains working:

- an individual who keeps dying with high frequency will suffer increasingly long respawn timers, based on either how many times he/she has died or by how recently was his/her last death(s).

- the rate of "ticket decay" (loss of tickets over time) accelerates if your team doesn't get any kills for a while

- kill streaks GAIN your team more tickets

I don't necessarily think those ideas are "silver bullet" solutions or anything, but I noticed a bit of stagnation in the solutions proposed, and thought I'd just throw in my two cents, in an effort to keep the discussion going.

Thanks!

Pizza, kodysch, PUNK123 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

That's very well put together, thank you for your input.

However, currently what usually happens is the losing ticket team tries to play defensively to not lose as many tickets, whereas if you have a ticket lead you can take more risks. But if the tickets were drained over time, I think that would probably just encourage the winning team to camp as well, and then the team who was already in a bad position is now forced to run out and take the risks, losing them more tickets and eventually the game. I think it's better for now to keep the winning team being more aggressive as a choice, rather than forcing the losing team to be aggressive. Your killing restrictions might help somewhat with that dynamic, but really at that point it's just too confusing, you can't expect everyone to be able to know all those rules and do the mental math on the fly to figure out which way the tickets will go.

I think in general people seem to be happy with the current gather rules now that the build time and maps have been adjusted, which might be why there's stagnation. The talk now seems to be about games basically revolving around siege.

Blue_Tiger, hierbo and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I was directed here by @Auburn

What is the fastest, easiest, and laziest way I can join this?

14. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

15. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

Okay so I'm right after a fucking gather match
    And it was the worst game of KAG I've ever played
    Because there was two to three archers on the other team
    Seriously, do something about this.
    40% of team being archers
    beta at it's best.

16. Blue_Tiger

Or maybe, you've just never heard of building defenses?

AmestriStephen likes this.
  17. Fernegulus

Fernegulus Bison Rider

I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

18. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Yeah, building defenses on the battlefield under thunderstorm of waterarrows and bombarrows falling from the sky is pretty easy

Pizza likes this.
  19. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Or maybe we should remove plats, so the enemies can't rain hell without at least showing their ugly faces?

Blue_Tiger, kodysch, cameron and 2 others like this.
  20. Blue_Tiger

You act like they don't cost 20/50 coins per shot.