1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

General Map Making Discussion.

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Eggnogg, Nov 15, 2011.

1. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

but you can still do that, and the one that's 5 tall :<

Noburu and Rayne like this.
  2. DivineEvil

DivineEvil Tree Planter

Guys, I have a question. I want to make just a Thread for my present and future maps to stack them up there in the first post, rather than making a new thread for each one. Is this a viable alternative, or does this would bring some inconvenience?

3. Eggnogg

Eggnogg Ye Olde Wench Donator Tester

That's fine, a lot of people already do that, as "map packs" or "my maps" threads. Go ahead.

4. 12anger

12anger Ballista Bolt Thrower

Warning Noobish Message

HOW u make maps ? :(

5. DivineEvil

DivineEvil Tree Planter

There's sticked Thread with corresponding name that contains guidelines for mapmaking using graphic editors, right in this forum section.

Rayne and Noburu like this.
  6. fishfinger73

fishfinger73 Haxor

I guess you could use sandbox mode and save the map there. I've never tried it so I don't guarantee it works.

7. JacKD

JacKD Ballista Bolt Thrower

More background dirt. You have to make sure that everything is bg-dirt-connected to the ground.

Another reason could be that you are using the wrong PNG format. My solution for that is opening a PNG map that you *know* works and starting from there.

8. Eggnogg

This has been a long time issue that has not been resolved. I had a long talk with Geti about it a while ago, and he told me that it was a problem, but partially intentional. It sucks, but the only real solution is to use lots of background dirt or make land masses larger.

inactive_account likes this.
  9. Eggnogg

I know. I asked Geti if he could at least make it so that natural blocks (dirt, stone, etc) do not collapse and give support to other blocks, and he said that they were supposed to, but don't. He explained that it was partially unintentional, but that he wouldn't bother fixing it because of the possibility of collapsing tunnels and landmasses in the future.

I was making a bunch of small RTDM maps too, which focused mostly on aesthetics, which were borked anyway. I was working on the 'science' of what needed to be done in order for a land mass to float, but I lost it :P.

inactive_account likes this.
  10. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

So, I am not just a retarded map maker, I found all natural maps don't collapse, or like you said Eggnogg, a lot of BG dirt.

11. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

If im not mistaken, you can make a bedrock layer at the bottom, with a BGdirt layer on top of it.
    if you build on top of that, the map wont collapse.
    (the last map I made was a couple of months ago, so I'm not entirely sure...)

12. buster-boy17

buster-boy17 suries gard

how do u download a map or make one?

13. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Blueboy23 and Ghozt like this.
  14. drdaniel

drdaniel Catapult Fodder

i would like to make my own map how

15. Noburu

Can you seriously NOT read the post DIRECTLY above yours?

Gofio, Ej, JacKD and 1 other person like this.
  16. xioxio128

xioxio128 Shark Slayer

So anyone made a map for Zombie Fortress???

17. RoflcopterV22

RoflcopterV22 Poison Headcrab Donator

Is there any chance this forum can get split into gamemode catagories? Ctf maps in a ctf subforum etc.

Annoying to find maps ATM, since you can't search for CTF ,or TDM, etc. as they are "Too short or too common"

18. Noburu

www.kagstuff.com

19. RoflcopterV22

RoflcopterV22 Poison Headcrab Donator

While that site does have some maps, alot of them arent on there, along with a much less used comment system which is why I was hoping the forums here could change.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  20. Noburu

Contact EJ, he has a mega mappack I believe.