1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Gold Farming with Builder (Rapid Gold Acquisition)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeggleFrank, May 3, 2015.

1. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

I found this out by accident, and decided to do some testing. Apparently, builders are the most versatile and efficient way of getting gold - not gold, but gold coins.

During a match, I was messing around, and I noticed that I was getting gold for placing blocks; I realized this after I had acquired 1000 gold, and before I went to the enemy base to spam kegs and win the game. Below, I have listed the most notable results; some results are not listed, but that's because they're inefficient. Anyway, here you go:

Building Phase:

Everything, except maybe doors: 0 gold.
    Stone Blocks and Wood Platforms: 1 gold.

After the building phase:

Wood platforms and stone blocks: 4 gold.
    Workshops: 10 gold. Specializing a workshop doesn't give anything.
    Ladders: 0 gold. Always build wood platforms instead of ladders when you can!

What I gather from this is that, by mining stone, building stone walls, making large tree farms, and building platforms, you can amass an incredible amount of gold very quickly; it's useful if you want to try and get an early ballista, catapult, keg, etc. As far as I know, making a wooden wall and encasing it in stone is very efficient in terms of both defense and resource cost (wood is fairly durable, but burns easily, so covering it in stone makes it impossible to burn), so making a wall of platforms and encasing it in stone should be even better. You can make a grid of platforms so you don't have to fill every space, and it'll still be just as strong while getting you more gold per wood than you would if you were just placing wooden blocks. Rotating the platforms randomly could be an effective way to prevent people from moving through them, if you're worried that the enemy will just run through the platforms.

I was nearly kicked for griefing for building a large tower of wooden platforms, but it's insane how much gold you get for it. It takes 20 wood to make a wooden platform and 10 stone to make a stone block, and both of them give 4 gold, so you'll want to place stone blocks and resort to placing platforms in the late-game when you're running low on stone. Both can be used to fortify your defenses, but if you want to be hyper-efficient and not risk losing any of your gold, you can just build dummy walls in the middle of your base to farm gold.

Each stone ore has 20 stone. You can mine about that much in 1 second, and 20 stone = 2 stone blocks = 8 gold, so we can assume that, if you don't miss any of your swings, you're getting 8 gold per second as a builder while mining stone. Chopping wood is a little more complicated, but assuming you're getting 300-500 wood per tree, that's 120-200 gold. Per tree.

Per tree.

Per tree.

PER TREE.

Maybe this is already common knowledge, but I thought I would share anyway. Maybe it's a stupid idea. Maybe it'll be the new meta for a builder to only build walls after the building phase, or to make stupidly tall useless towers of wooden platforms. Maybe I'm just mad.

Would be glad to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

well, builders are pretty good at getting gold coins, but i still believe that in pub matches, veteran knights end up getting more gold simply because they are able to outplay everyone else who also isnt a veteran. however when we transition into the competitive scene, where most knights are relatively equal, i would say builder starts to get more gold than knights, simply because 1 knight isnt recking everyone and raking in the cash.

Mazey, FuzzyBlueBaron and BlueLuigi like this.
  3. Fuzzle

Fuzzle Grand Grumbler

Not too sure if this'll be implemented yet, but as a tiny part of the new shizzle I'm about to push, I've rewritten the CTF coin script: I introduced some fixes, yet it ( the system ) is inconsistent as flip and I simply couldn't keep my hands off it. Instead of recieving coins for specific blocks, you'll recieve a coin every time you've spent a specific amount of the material. In build-time 20 wood / 10 stone would equal 1 coin. Otherwise it would be 10 wood / 7 stone.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  4. Anonymuse

Anonymuse Arsonist

That's a much better idea. It doesn't make sense that doors don't give you coins when they're just as valuable a part of building a base. Good work Fuzzle.

5. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

you do get coins from doors. but its kind of a waste to use 50 stone to make one door that will give u 4 coins, than just building 5 stone blocks that get you 20. otherwise, wooden doors aren't too bad.

6. dayleaf

dayleaf Haxor
    1. The Thieves Guild

Cancer tower with wooden doors :rekt:
    that should give a lot of coins while being a pretty good structure

makmoud98 likes this.
  7. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

If you really want to be a leech to your team and get some quick money, get some stone or just use resupply, hit a stone block once and then repair it. Keep doing this until you're out of stone and/or are feeling guilty

Platform spam is a great way to make money as well. I like to platform spam bu only support it with one wood backwall so it's super easy to collapse and make room for more coinfarming.

I'm guilty of doing both of those things basically all the time, but you also make a lot of money just by actually building useful things as well.

8. Jackard

Jackard Base Burner

big reason for bomb arrow spam. builders easily accrue hundreds of gold

another easy moneymaker is shooting catas with a bow. 5 coins per hit, takes a lot of hits

9. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

I say we bring back the classic mechanic where you got money for mining trees and stone as well as placing it.

10. EhRa

EhRa Ooooooof Staff Alumni Donator
    1. KRPG

Nice guide, very good explaining etc.
    <3

11. Mariox222

Mariox222 Arsonist
    1. [AG#] - Ancient Gear

I think that builders have too much coins. My suggestion is that builders should have just enough coins for stuff at the builder workshop. Curently only drill costs coins (i think). I think that items in builder workshop should have lower price in resources and higher price in coins. This would make game more interesting.

12. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I tried to farm some coins yesterday and I reached like 1300. We created a 3 sawmills/6 trees treefarm and a structure to build platforms on with safe collapsing. To be humble it was quite a lot of coins, but I really spent the whole round. When I wanted to waste all money in water and bomb arrows it was already too late as we were capturing the flags.
    This would be a good idea: having only builder farming coins at the base, and buying special arrows/kegs/mines regularly instead of trying to reacj higher loads of coins.

13. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Base Burner

That's probably the most efficient way to go about gold farming. My last game involved ~13 warboats. I tore down the wall and made holes in the base so we could have a bigger dock. I also spent all the stone on the map making a giant stone giraffe for coins. Needless to say, we didn't really get anywhere.

However, with a builder dedicated to farming trees and coins to get supplies for the rest of the team (i.e. big things like catapults or kegs or bomb arrows), that could really change the course of the game. I mean, if your knights are saving up for kegs, and they suddenly go on a losing streak, they've lost massive progress towards getting those kegs. If you have a builder at your base making gold, that's a form of insurance; even if your knights are sheep in metal plating, they'll still be able to be able to get access to lethal explosives. Maybe that's not the best idea. You get the idea, though; if there's a friendly builder on your team making gold and buying items for you, you won't have to rely on your own skill as much, because you won't need to be raking in kills to buy items for the team. Builders are already a support role, so it would make sense for them to try and support the team financially.

FuzzyBlueBaron and 8x like this.
  14. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

You might have to chop down a tree to get 120-200 gold, but I get that every life from chopping down the enemy team.

Fuzzle, PeggleFrank and Anonymuse like this.
  15. DragonShark

DragonShark The one post after the other. Donator

[​IMG]

PeggleFrank likes this.