1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Good players are usually snobs. – How to fix!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by killatron46, Jan 16, 2012.

1. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Indeed I did :P little confused as to why my post was "liked" by the guy that posted the "all new players suck" rhetoric that I was trying to make a point of dismissing however...

2. Mouse

Mouse Shipwright

You know what I really want? An emoticon in the game that indicates "Move Please" or something. I don't really want to have to type it out every time. :<

Ej, xxpabloxx and Birdman159 like this.
  3. I have a name, AnRK, and you obviously misunderstood my post. What I was trying to say was that ANY player (Usually new ones) do not listen when they require advice. I wasn't perfect when I started (I'm still not), but I at least listened.

And just because I might disagree with your post does not mean I didn't like the irony of the situation :P

4. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

I know I was just pissing about dude. Just my point (again) was alot more people listen when you take the time to talk to them then alot of players with a bit of experience seem to think.

As for a "move!" style emoticon I find !!! combined with jumping around tends to do the trick; if the player involved actually wants to move out the way that is.

5. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

This is to no one in particular.

You are not responsible for a a players conduct or to teach them how to play. The best you can do is set an example and hold yourself to a standard.

New or not, if you consistently treat people badly, ignore constructive criticism, and are a lone wolf, that's your rep, and its hard to shake. People won't want to play with you. If you actively try your best to be friendly, play as a team and learn, people will notice and you will make friends that want you to be on their side.

No one is perfect. We all make in-game mistakes and have moment's of rage at other players. One way or another, given time, your reputation establishes itself.

It's about personal integrity. Make good choices or risk being alienated in a team oriented game.

You prove yourself to the community.

6. Trust me, AnRK, I try to teach people about the game, because having someone who knows the game and knows how difficult the game is starting out (Well not difficult, because you do not know you are bad at building) is a lot better than having a rage quitter.

They all just turn out to be natural rage quitters. I remember one time I was telling this guy who was building onto part of a tower I was building. I had no problem with this, but he was just making it easier for them to get into our base.

EDIT: My Character building does not seem to format well, I will come back with a reconstruction in Sandbox

It looked something like this:
    EDIT: The picture: [​IMG]

The tower on the right is made of stone, and I built that first (Remember we are on blue team, so the enemy is on the left). This person decided to add the left part to the very basic tower I built. He proceeded to destroy the platforms I had going up the left side of the tower and told me to "Just watch" or something along the lines of that. I was watching him, actually excited to see something that could possibly be something really cool (Killatron showed me one of the towers he made that implemented plenty of "killholes" and I was amazed by them). He then proceeded to build that side building, and I told him what was wrong with it:

1. Ground Level Doors
    2. Made it easier to get into our base for the enemy.
    3. Spikes on the top hurt our guys jumping off the tower
    4. No actual entrance from inside the little base he built
    5. No platforms for our own team members to actually jump back up the tower.

I then informed him of his folly, and he decided to destroy the first 2 layers of stone so he could make doors there, making more ground level doors. Just as he got to the last layer, he realized that if he destroyed those blocks, the tower was subject to fall with the destruction of a door and a few background stones.

He then proceeded to leave it as it is, adding another problem to the tower.

I may seem like a snob, but I only am snobby when I have good reason.

tl;dr: Look at the damn picture

7. AnRK

AnRK Shark Slayer

Did he respond in any way or form? He might not have spoken English, many of the community are not English speakers. Plus alot of new players play nothing but builder, and obviously usually a very defensive one, so they never really experience attacking fortifications, so in turn never really learn how to build decent defences since they never attack any. Personally another part of the tutorial should recommend to new players that they go knight or archer to start with.

8. Because the other team didn't have great players, and we had a few really good ones, we were still able to win the game iirc.
    English was his first language, I didn't ask him, but it didn't take him long to respond, and didn't seem to have trouble understanding what I said and his grammar wasn't particularly terrible. So the next game started up, and I remember telling him that I could teach him how to be a good builder, but he just kept telling me how "You [Me] didn't give me enough room". He was referring to how the basic tower I built was close to the wall during the build phase, since I like utilizing greenstone under buildings to prevent digging. Anyway, he then told me to "Watch him" again. I just rage quit after that point.

Sure, I may have been acting superior but I only wanted to teach him, because he certainly didn't want to learn.

9. SirEndgame

SirEndgame Shopkeep Stealer

I find the more intricate structures (Auri's Suprise) are just incomprehensible for most public players - they simply don't understand, and proceed to break it all even after I nicely explain twice. I'm sure plenty of public players are sharp, but when I explicitly explain the concept of the structure and you proceed to mess it up, I rage a little bit.

10. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

This thread isn't specifically for complaining about public players I'm sure we all have our stories. What I'm trying to do with this thread is find good methods for dealing with the said public players. In some situations there is no "fix" and the only thing left to do is rage at them, call a vote kick for griefing or simply leaving.

I do agree though, the tutorial badly needs some more information. Maybe what it needs is a link to the forums/suggest the players go there.

If everyone that reads this thread from now on really tries to help people in-game (when reasonable of course =S), we may have more people coming to the forums, thus more people that aren't "pubs".

Tyrianstrasz likes this.
  11. Mathewson

Mathewson Shopkeep Stealer

Better Tutorial videos....
    Beginner and advanced.

Also in a builder tut video we should explain different classes what they actually need for defense,
    how to build for the team and mostly WHY!!! they should build this way.

Explain a little how the knight works and what they can do for knights and the same thing for archers.
    Most builders dont get how the gameplay mechanics work and that KAG is a fast game. With understanding each class they will build much smarter.

if they get a AHHHHH effect out of this, I think the KAG servers will be much more fun.

Noburu and Beef like this.
  12. Ren_Partycat

Ren_Partycat Shopkeep Stealer

I usually make workshops and traps. Sometimes I dig tunnels when I can get a team mate or two to help, and I do my best to repair and reinforce our lands. After spending a decent amount of time practicing the basics while studying how other players build, I've gotten just a bit better at builder so now I can work on proper buildings and structures.

I usually never get any idiots, griefers or confused newbies on my team, so I'm fine most of the time. If someone messes up, I show them their mistakes and try to teach them how to do things more efficiently. Again, OP's situation hardly ever happens to me, and I just talk to the newbie for a moment to solve the problem and things go smoothly.

13. synthesispandabot

synthesispandabot Bison Rider

this is so fucking true

14. Beef

Beef ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ ก้้้้้้้้้้้ Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

I had a game earlier where not one, but two builders dug beneath all our walls, forts and towers, heading straight for the enemy. Less than three dirt tiles separated them from the enemy above them. Oh, also, the middle of the map was just void (which the enemy had fortified to hell and back anyway).

I tried to explain. No response. I explained again. Asked them to stop. They did. Then they went and did it again a few minutes later. I ended up dying trying to plug the hole they made.

If only being crap was a bannable offense.

What I'm trying to say here, everyone is awful but me.

Birdman159, Nixito, Vidar and 4 others like this.
  15. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Play on mine or Luigis server more. We try to help the noobs but if they rage or dont listen, we boot their asses :D

Mathewson likes this.
  16. GhostyS

GhostyS Shopkeep Stealer

i have this specific tower that i try to build each map. its called the bear tower, Sargra invented it. well anyway every time i go to make it at least 5 builders come and mess it up and boy do i get annoyed. no matter how many times i tell them to stop, they don't listen. i then get more mad at them. eventually they just say u mad, and continue to mess it up. and that has convinced me that their just trolls :|

oh off topic this is my:
    :B): (!!!<:D>100th Post>:D<!!!):B):

Monsteri likes this.
  17. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

go to an empty server... and wait...

18. blubex

blubex Shipwright

Can't wait until good premium-only servers are made.

Noburu likes this.