1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Griefers can go unpunished in this game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guennor1, Nov 29, 2013.

?

Are you satisfied with the kick/ban system?

1. Yes

21.3%
  2. No

78.7%
  1. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

What if we transform the global ban list into a public blacklist,so server owners can choose if they want to follow it?
    A system for that would be nice,but if that can't be done,a simple thread with the last would be okay.
    You could make a variable for that,like global_blacklist.
    That would make guards more powerful(I think).

2. Guennor1

Guennor1 Catapult Fodder

[​IMG]

His arrogance and level of attention-whoring is unbearable, really.

MrError likes this.
  3. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

just make a patch that if someone with the username MuckyMuck is put to a votekick it gets passed 100 to 0

Rayne and 16th like this.
  4. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

lol, klok, if you're an admin, who's playing on a server actively, not just sitting there afk, and you don't notice something getting griefed, you either aren't a very good admin, or the grief was insignificant. Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll see what would be easy to grief, and what someone would try to grief; you should be picking out weak points in both teams' structures ANYWAYS as a player, so you can strengthen your own buildings and collapse the opposing ones. Undo buttons are for lazy's.

Geti, I miss action too </3 ... At least in it's prime, not counting the part towards the end where it kind of..... anyway, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single action like beta server with admins who actually play on it to deter and ban griefers, though I can see how such server's could be difficult for players to find in the midst of all of the "hey luk my big bruthr showd me how2hostt serv frum my comp com pley on it yeyyyyz" one's that have been thrown up.

Perhaps we could implement a voting system in the server directory, where players can vote up servers that they like, which have active admins playing on them, though every single person who get's banned will go and down vote... Maybe someone can make a modified stalker application which lists which servers currently have admins on so you can play somewhere protected, idk, never had a problem with griefers, seeing as how you can always GO TO IRC, TYPE "!guard", AND HAVE SOMEONE COME ON AND KICK THE GRIEFER FROM THE SERVER.

5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Do you have any idea how long it takes to grief? Not long. I can walk away for 5 seconds, a knight can buy a keg, drop it, and swap teams before I even know what happened. Now, assuming he made a collapse, I'd be like "Hey that guy collapsed and team swapped, it was probably him" but there are tons of other scenarios where a keg doesn't cause a collapse and just wipes out a base or puts a massive hole in the defenses. Also once a keg is lit, it can't be stopped. An undo button to undo keg damage would be pretty amazing, maybe a setting that appears next to "Bla bla caused a collapse" or "Suspectperson101 used a keg in the base, undo damage?" idk, but it could be implemented in a good way.

The point is, would it be easy, difficult, or godly hard to implement? Not only that, but would the devs do it either way?

6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Lets also all make note of the fact that its not terribly easy to verify certain offenses and offenders as an admin. Maybe I am just ignorant of some settings, but when spectating, I can't see names on mouseover anymore. Also, I have to manually find and follow an offender with the camera to catch him doing something (again without seeing his name anywhere useful). Then I have to ban the offender and quickly go add him to a seclev group that doesn't have join privileges, because the Steam users seem to be able to circumvent the normal blacklist.

Again, maybe there are steps here that could be easier if I were more familiar with all the tools; if so please enlighten me. Otherwise, the whole system is full of holes making administration an overall royal pain.

I think the best course of action is to make sure all the existing tools work and work well; helping the admin rather than tripping him up. Once those tools are all in good order, we can discuss adding more of them, assuming they are even still needed at that point.

I think that if griefers had something to fear, there would be a precipitous drop in griefing, reducing the need for an undo button in the first place (I hope).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    SAcptm, Klokinator and Bernhardt like this.
  7. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

@hierbo, you could just add the ban seclev to the "assign" thingie of the admin seclev, that way you can assign them to that seclev directly through the admin menu, makes things a lot easier.

hierbo likes this.
  8. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

I like the fact that Geti confirmed that they are doing something about this (the flagging system).

I can also appreciate the fact that the devs want this to be in the hands of the community so that the solution is scalable and they don't have to deal with potential drama themselves. I'm a business owner myself and I can relate to that. It can take a lot of time and energy to deal with even one tricky case.

This being said, I also like the suggestion about playing on servers with proper moderation. Unfortunately this raises the question of ping. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that the better ping you have, the easier it is for you to absolutely destroy everyone as a Knight. At least this has been the case for me on the giving and receiving end.

Continuing this line of though, I live in Northern Europe. We have great connections here, but because of the size of the community, very few servers. There were regional servers when Steam was opened, but now it's back to the German and Polish servers for me.

Beo's CTF server is the only real choice for me right now, unless I'm willing to place myself at disadvantage from the get-go, and even that server gets crazy (for everyone) at full capacity. Then there's the occasional server that's up every now and then.

I bought this game because I like to design and build. I noticed that I don't need the best ping to play as a Builder. Now, however, I've noticed that I have to play as a Knight from time to time, because even though I suck at it, I'm usually a lot better than most. So I find myself playing as a Knight because that's what the team needs and I hate losing.

So, my conclusion is this, I like the full line of your thought, but simply choosing a server with proper moderation is not a real choice for everyone.

9. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

For now, if at least it showed the player's name on mouse-hover,that would be great.
    I hate when I'm trying to ban someone and I don't even know his name.

makmoud98, Beelzebub and hierbo like this.
  10. Guennor1

Guennor1 Catapult Fodder

From now own i'll just ignore him and delete his comments... I ain't gonna feed trolls no' mo'.
    Anyway, can someone tell me how to start a vote to kick someone? It's a noob question but i've never looked it up.

11. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I've seen that normal admins can't use this feature, but the status of 'SuperAdmin' allows you to see all the nicknames. Guards, as far as I know, can see them too. It would be about getting that status. Please any mod correct me if I'm wrong or bring some light about this.

@Guennor1 : to cast a vote - ESC - Vote - Kick. There you will have to click on the reason first and the nickname after i believe. You can only cast votes to kick players on your team, but you can vote at any vote.

12. Galen

I think you're right. Still, it depends on the server host to decide what features they put into their admin seclev, they could easily give you the same power as the default super admin seclev just by adding a few words.

hierbo likes this.
  13. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

No.Not right.Not even super admins with the variable to see names can see it.
    At least I can't and i've seen others say it too.

14. Galen

Well then that needs fixing, administrating without being able to see everyone's name is impossibru.

hierbo likes this.
  15. LucasTT

LucasTT Haxor Tester

Exactly.

16. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That's why I made this post.
    https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/game-tweaks-for-admins-ingame.17645/#post-255514

Seriously I want all of this implemented, bare minimum.

17. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

I'm just posting to smug about the Action Server having amazing admins

:dance:

Alpaca and Beef like this.
  18. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

yeah, being able to see names in spec as admin absolutely needs to be fixed, I forgot about that; it makes admins' jobs ridiculously more difficult.

Klok, actually, making a feature that posts in the chat whenever someone lights a keg wouldn't be a bad idea, and it should be pretty do-able.

19. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

S0omething like this would make the chat go really fast, so in the HOME window would be better, same for collapsable blocks. Then an admin can press home when someone is accused of griefing and be like "Oh hey they lit off a keg and destroyed a shitload of blocks, yep probably griefing."

20. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

It's rare that teams actually get enough keg shops or earn enough money to absolutely spam kegs, and posting it in the chat helps because it grabs your attention immediately, rather than 2 minutes later when someone notices.