1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Griefers can go unpunished in this game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guennor1, Nov 29, 2013.

?

Are you satisfied with the kick/ban system?

1. Yes

21.3%
  2. No

78.7%
  1. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

To me, MuckyMuck is pretty much globally banned because for every server he joins he gets kicked within >5mins

2. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Man, that poll really shows the large negativity on how the system is right now...

Hopefully once they get the flagging system working things will be better.
    I still kinda find it BS that Steam prevents you from banning bad users...

3. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

Ikr. All the more reason to keep playing on private servers. Oh, and Mak, I think you meant to say "< 5 minutes"

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Afaik the official EU servers are hosted in the same approximate area as Beo's. Here in Australia we have shitty connections and no official servers, so I'm aware of the issue; I still find I have a more enjoyable time in a well hosted server with high ping than a badly adminstered server hosted next door. That said, I'm always pleased when the Australian servers that are capably hosted are populated :^)

I've put together a small list of quick admin-helping features on our TODO list, we'll be looking into them for next week. Things like reports in the console for admins whenever anyone does dangerous stuff (lights keg, fires ballista would be the main ones), a ban frozen player on hover button, and fixing the broken admin names (they work for guards and devs -> why it's been missed) - I might also look into which seclevs have stopped functioning since classic and remove them + expose seclevs to scripts. The class icon in score menu has been planned for a while so it may make it in as well.

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

Try to make it difficult to accidentally press this.

6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Well, that will certainly help out with finding specific offenders. On the off chance that you haven't seen it though (I actually assume you have but it can't hurt) here's a topic I made about admin ability enhancements that you might look at implementing for some future build, when you guys have time for that stuff.

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/game-tweaks-for-admins-ingame.17645/

7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

A more fitting title for this thread would be "griefers usually go unpunished". I think the only way to actually even begin to address this outside of small bastions of diligent moderation is through the implementation of replays. I don't know how difficult it is to record full information of what happens in a game but if some talented coder has hours and hours of free time on their hands, Geti has said to me that if I could produce replay code he'd implement it. As payment I'll release my XXX Princess Geti mod with special bonus gender swap MM.

makmoud98 likes this.
  8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

yeah I'm thinking of requiring a modifier key, like shift+f3 so you can do it quickly but aren't likely to accidentally hammer someone - because it only works on frozen people you'd have to "accidentally" press f3 then shift-f3 in quick succession. I'm open to suggestions though.

Re: Replays - it would really be better both performance and sanity wise to have this done serverside, I'll talk with MM about it. It's feasible to record and replay all network traffic, but we need to find a way to store it that facilitates easy enough viewing - being able to fastforward and rewind by like 30second steps at least so you can send the replay + approx start time. I think it'd be the ideal solution with regard to "burden of proof" though.

9. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

or we could just go to a preponderance of the evidence...

10. Instant record button implemented in game means bye bye hackers and griefors, for me, recording is hard because I don't have a fast computer. With an option like this, it would help me a lot

Bernhardt likes this.
  11. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

people should have a screen records ready to record griefers so they can report them on the forums. I should probably start doing this myself :rektlord:

12. Cerbercre

Cerbercre Brolord 弟兄主 Donator
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Yeeaa i'm a admin on alot of classic servers and whenever i see someone fuckn around i perma ban without warning. :smug::thumbs_up:

Alpaca likes this.
  13. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

I like to screw around with them. Memorize their name, remind them that you can rcon ban them regardless of whether or not they're on the server because you know their name, then freeze them, and laugh at all of the ridiculous excuses they come up with to try and weed their way out.

Guitarman and Galen like this.
  14. Cerbercre

I'd do the same if i could remember the rcon commands ::(:

15. @Cerbercre:

/rcon /ban player -1
    Bans player forever (hopefully).
    /rcon /banID 92329 -1
    Bans the player using the ID 92329 permanently (you can find this by using /rcon /players
    /rcon /kick player
    /rcon /kickID 99999

/rcon /freezeID 99999
    Stops the player from acting. Some actions may continue - if they are holding a lit keg, it will still explode, and they still can fire catapults.

hierbo and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  16. Cerbercre

:u i guess i'll save this on notepad thanks Reudh-sama.

17. Andreiii500

Andreiii500 Shipwright

I just hope I'm not doing this in the worst place possible at the worst time possible.

Firstly off the hand, hi there. This is my first post bla bla I didn't really feel like wasting around 2 hours checking if anyone already mentioned something about the things I'm about to say, so you have my honest apologies in case I'm just messing/annoying people.

Well, if the devs don't really want to change the ban system, why don't we create a topic (and get it "sticky") where we blacklist the griefers/such, which will supposedly be checked regularly by the servers' owners? The first thing they have to do is copying the blacklist and putting it somewhere near the server's files. Next, we should make a >>thing<< that automatically kicks the blacklisted players when they join a server, in case it doesn't already exist. This way, we can also make a list of 'serious' servers which follow the suppousedly trustworthy blacklist and update it, so we may know which ones are likely to have griefers and which ones aren't.

About the >>thing<<, perhaps we can get some modders to create it (like making 'bots' that check the server's log and when they find out a name contained in the blacklist they use the command required to kick them out) or even the devs if it's so complicated.

Yeah, this is basically like a semi-global auto-kick (ban) which would work on the servers whose owners are interested in making a safe place to play this game on.

18. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

Or server owners could just ban the people on the list, rather than having a bot that kicks them every time they try to join the server >_< ... You do realize that there is a ban function, right?

19. Andreiii500

Andreiii500 Shipwright

Well, I was thinking that having people to manually kick them over and over again would be too complicated, since there aren't always admins online. On the other hand, having some automated 'bot' (add-on) that does it would work all the time, without any trouble.

20. Alpaca

Alpaca Haxor

no, not kick them, BAN them. You do understand what a ban is, right? You give someone a permaban, and they can never come back. ever.