1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

HAMMER - Map-Making Contest, Prizes!

Discussion in 'Old Events/Giveaways/Contests' started by Bioautomaton, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonf

Gonf Base Burner

I'd very much appreciate it if you disabled shadowing. Since there has been a few maps released that already contradict shadowing, and a fair few maps are very much based on the concept of seeing through tunnels, I don't see why you wouldn't simply turn it off. For the mystery involved in some maps, perhaps, but I believe it just makes those maps look tacky. Plus the maps I had in mind for entering look horrid with shadowing. :p

plz plz plz no shadow

Razi and Arcite like this.
  2. Bioautomaton

Bioautomaton Mysterious Man/Machine Donator

Please vote on whether or not to enable shadowing on the server for the purposes of judging maps. A link has been attached to the end of the updated first post.

Honestly, there are lanterns in premium and you can design accordingly with windows in your backwall for tunnels, but I'm not going to argue with folks if there's a huge amount of hate for shadowing. I prefer it on, myself.

3. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

Civilisation theme :
    Persian City
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my themed-map, as I always do I made two sizes (300x150 and 200x100) so you can use it on every server, shadowing shouldn't be enabled.

General theme :

Archipelago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my general map, two sizes again, I don't care of shadowing on this one, on the first one water level is set on the 74th tile and on the second it's the 49th one, you can find orginal maps (without water level) and but you'll have to add water (command is : waterLevel(74/49); ). As you can see there is no premade stuff simply because I hate playing ctf on maps with premade things.

When judging take the biggest map.

Attached Files:

Razi, WarrFork, PinXviiN and 13 others like this.
  4. Ulthuanelf

Ulthuanelf Shark Slayer

Oooh, a fellow building-lover! ;)
    These look really neat. :)

'Cause I'm such a fan of emotes, here's one to represent my opinion on lighting (I'm gonna vote too.); :lantern:

5. PhirePuncher

PhirePuncher Shipwright

Yeah on second thought I think lighting should be disabled. With it disabled all my maps won't look so.... teribad.

6. dandyking7179

dandyking7179 Bison Rider

I'm working on 2 Theme maps, one will be chosen to be posted here, and I stand my ground for the keeping shadowing on on themed maps. Seeing as we are dealing with civilisations that existed, keeping the realistic side is fundamental to my eyes.
    Thank you and hopefully, my next post will be one of the 2 themed maps.

7. PhirePuncher

PhirePuncher Shipwright

Before you get started on that second theme map...
    You can only enter 1 themed and 1 general :/

8. dandyking7179

I know, but I'm testing with my friends to see which one is the best

9. PhirePuncher

PhirePuncher Shipwright

Oh okay, just making sure you don't make a horrible mistake... like I did :(
    </br>--- merged: Dec 7, 2012 6:42 PM ---</br>
    Also, just posted my new map on my last post with the last map.
    heh
    Try saying that 5 times fast.
    Oh that wasn't that hard I guess.

dandyking7179 likes this.
  10. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Re: the whole lighting/non-lighting thing --- let me step you all through a chain of thought here, maybe it will help clear the issue some.
    • This is a competition designed to generate maps for the whole community to use.
    • The maps are being built for use on gold servers.
    • Now, please try to remember how many gold servers are out there that don't have shadows enabled.
    • That's right, almost none of them because shadows are an epic part of the gold experience.
    The above thought chain demonstrates that if people make maps that require shadows turned off then >90% of gold servers out there will never ever run them!

At which point we have to ask: "If these maps will almost never be used by the community, why are they being entered into a competition designed to generate maps for the community to use?!??" :huh?:

I rest my case.

Arcite, Antman, Gofio and 2 others like this.
  11. PhirePuncher

PhirePuncher Shipwright

I literally hate that you're so correct.
    I despise this.
    But I facepalm because its pretty much common sense that went over my head.
    I have some thinking to do.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Gonf like this.
  12. Ulthuanelf

Ulthuanelf Shark Slayer

Yayz! :lantern: :):thumbs_up:

13. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

well, just wait for the votes? writing in bold don't make your opinion true

14. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

This cockiness of yours just made me vote for shadowing enabled

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  15. Bioautomaton

4 more premium keys have been added to the prize pool, each of the main prizes will receive one. You can either use it for you or give it to someone else.

Also, the server's map rotation is updated.

Arcite likes this.
  16. dandyking7179

We still have 20 days to post the maps right?

17. Bioautomaton

Yes, the timeline has not changed.

18. dandyking7179

Okay thanks. Themed map coming soon and the General map will be edited where I posted it was well.

19. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The ability to admit you were wrong is not a trait of the small souled--I congratulate and salute you sir! :)
    I fear you misapprehend the intent behind my posts structure, sir. The aim of my post was to illustrate the absurdity inherent in allowing maps that require shadowing disabled to participate in this competition and thus (I hoped) allow people to make an informed vote (if they indeed still felt a vote was required--ideally we could skip the vote entirely as it will just clog this thread unnecessarily).

Additionally, rather than being under the illusion that my use of bold, italicised and underlined text would somehow make my words 'true' I as (like most people who use such textual enhancements) merely to highlight points I particularly wished to emphasise. I hope this explanation is sufficient; however, should you require more explanation please contact me via PM as further off-topicness in this thread will attract infractions. :huh?:

feet, PhirePuncher and dandyking7179 like this.
  20. Ulthuanelf

Ulthuanelf Shark Slayer

...I tried to click "infractions"... ._.
    Anyway, to say something more on-topic; I may or may not start on my map today.
    Well ain't that informative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.