1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Haven & Hearth

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Doom6464, Jun 17, 2011.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Doom6464

Doom6464 Guest

2. killzonea59

killzonea59 Guest

Hm, It looks decent enough, I might try it. Explain more of why it's "very hard"?

3. Doom6464

Doom6464 Guest

Well theres alot of people who play it very big villages that are mean and we are to we go out killing people thats do crimes so we killem,And theres animals that can kill you boars,foxes and bear.
    Heres guides how to survive

How to fight
    http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6518

Crafting and what it is about its a readme pretty much but it teaches you
    http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3196

Heres a better client of the game
    xray
    nightvision
    timers
    and more
    http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14575

4. Mechanoid

Mechanoid Guest

The following is entirely true and is in no way based on my opinion, they are FACTS:
    - Perma-death.
    - Infinite attribute and skill growth.
    - Ant NPCs and other animals can kill you.
    - Absolutely lacking NPC village or personal NPC guards.
    - "Ownable" NPCs are limited to livestock; there are no "pet" NPCs.
    - Ability to be killed while logged off if you've left "criminal scents" behind.
    - Massive character physical power disparity between old and new characters.
    - Various "criminal" activities include simply walking through someones' personal land claim.
    - Timer-based experience point gain system, based on consumption of specially-crafted XP items.
    - Massive material power disparity between unestablished or solo characters and characters within a village.
    - There is no public changelog, or announcement of any kind relating to when/what an update will be made/does.

This is a short list, and does not extrapolate on every situation or other. Some of these things are very obviously a bad comination to have in the same game. Now, combine this and other things with the fact that the developers rarely if ever post anything on their announcements forum page, and when they do they do not disclose a full changelog; instead they prefer to let the player find out for themselves. This includes critical things like warning players that they have created a very powerful hostile NPC that spawns in caves (the cave troll) and can absolutely destroy even the strongest player, requiring a group of players to kill. (or pathing abuse with the indestructible skeleton corpse; but i wouldn't know if that bug is fixed because they never tell you such)
    Then of course there's the rest of their forums; filled with psychopathic individuals who live to create and survive off drama bombs and flamewars.

It's just terrible through-and-through with no redeeming qualities on any level. If i wanted an iron age survivalist grindfest i'd go back to playing Wurm Online, simply because it was pounding out those meaningless hours of grinding before H&H was and has had more time to keep on royally sucking the fun out of the survival genre.

5. killzonea59

killzonea59 Guest

I don't care haha. I just started playing yesterday night...and i've been on it since then. To me, it was hard at first I agree, but try doing things with a friend, or with a group of people, a lot more fun and easier, more teamwork to survive and work together. I'm not part of a village, building on my own little bit of land i was given, building a little farm, wild chickens running about :P. I'm simply addicted.
    One being that its challenging, helps you make decisions, its not just "you either gotta do this, or you have to do that."
    There's a whole variety of skills that will reflect your character in more than one way, and whether or not it'll help you in you 'way' of surviving. Instead of being told "Do this to survive."
    Plus they are CONSTANTLY updating it just like KAG to make it better.

I give this game like a 7.2/10.

6. Doom6464

Doom6464 Guest

Its still in alpha for like 2009 to 2011

7. overlordror

overlordror Guest

The actual game concept isn't that bad and it's something that many people have asked for in hardcore RPGs. The problem is the community is absolutely full of vitirol towards one another to the point that newbies in the game have little chance of succeeding on their own without extensive time investment.

There's a certain thrill to being entirely self sufficient in such a game. When I played, it was just myself and a friend who created a hermit outpost of sorts. We had a large are palisaded and after I gained enough LP to be an effective hunter, I tamed animals for her to take care of while she farmed. I handled all the hunting and mining, while she handled the farming and animal husbandry. We had several trade partners set up and were doing very well. However, the developers reset the world with absolutely no warning in order to institute a new XP gain policy based on studying items in your inventory instead of performing actions. We quit after that.

As for why the developers don't post much, they're currently working on another MMORPG based on the same model, but instead of being based on Germanic myth, the game is set in 17th century Salem Massachusetts. It features many of the same concepts that you see in H&H, including perma-death and villages with no NPCs aside from animals. It is being funded by Paradox Interactive.

8. luizbr507

luizbr507 Guest

this game is coool but i dont see any creatures
    is there a leveling guide?

9. czubai

czubai KAG Guard Tester

I actually like all the 'controversial' features, even this :

Refreshing. Gonna try it out. Maybe we can get a KAG group to start together?

10. killzonea59

killzonea59 Guest

Okay, well if anyone even plays this at all, and want to add me, put Killzone in your 'add kin by hearth secret' bar. I'm currently back and forth from different villages, but i'm on most of the time. :)

11. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

Omg...no. I read this combat guide and seriously...can you make it even more complicated and hard to understand for newbies? Reading some more guides I can say this is way too hardcore for me to waste hundreds of hours to actually get into the game.

12. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

epic game,playing it for quite a while now :D

13. Vatx

Vatx Ballista Bolt Thrower

Game is awesome, but it's hard to survive alone, you actually need a good team to make something more than... well, basics.

14. Worm

Worm Derpship Commander Donator

I had played at World 4.
    IT WAS FANTASTIC: We got 20 people village - everyone had mastery skill(example: Smith - 160 str + 110 smithing skill) above 100. And what?
    Harddrive crashed. Everything lost. Neversleeped nights...
    World 5 became, and none wanted to play again(Beacuse Jorb failed new LP-gain system).
    Now 6/10 world are unacessable(bugged), and world still not changed.

15. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

he changed it because the system was too easy to bot.

16. SchabowyZaglady

SchabowyZaglady Shipwright

I was playing it for some weeks. Yea, was dying of hunger. And ants were stronger then me. xD

xChapx and Eggnogg like this.
  17. Worm

Not better now: I see people that come change some leather, put some curi and getting off.

18. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

you still cant make 10 alts and all get fancy curio for LP gain tou.

19. Ranged66

Ranged66 Bison Rider

20. Worm

Oh, and if you want know how city has been called at World 4: R'lyeh

Mods: BlueLuigi