1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Help for beginners-traps

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by franek123, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Nananas

Nananas Bison Rider

Here is one from feb 23 2012:
    screen-12-02-23-14-11-07.png

EDIT: it was that build where spikes didn't do any damage when put on the bottom of a stone block, it was
    then replaced by broken trapbridges.

This one is from june 13 2012:
    screen-12-06-13-13-47-06.png
    (left building, too lazy to crop :3 )

Sooo, these traps are not really new. BUT they worked incredibly well against innocent players/newbies at that time. After a couple weeks, there was no surprise effect anymore. "It was (almost) never seen again" :( (well, this is not really true)

Point I want to make: Dunno if this trap is well-known to new players...

Gofio likes this.
  2. franek123

franek123 The architect of the royal castle. Donator Tester

Ok ok :D Maybe this one yep :) But not all i think?

3. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

what servers you´ve been on!?
    I may just know a lot of traps, but theres enough people that do so too...
    actually, I think its a shame you are telling everyone about a wonderfull trap.
    this trap used to be, (still is) kind of a "premium" trap: you only see it in creations of the best builders... (lol why do I know it?)
    if you're telling all new players about it, games gonna be stuffed with them, and they wont work very well, because everyone knows it!
    rule number one, never tell someone you got some awesome trap, or everyone will know how to avoid it.
    (acavado spikes, for example... some people already used them before.. and then acavado explained exactly what it was,
    and no-one would fall for it anymore)

franek123 likes this.
  4. franek123

Hmm..Yeah but i dont at now only 15-20 see my films :D and i think that they will see no more than 40 people

Gofio likes this.
  5. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

I didn't knew the last one ! Very good

6. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

>implying everyone reads the Forums

And plenty of people still fall for Acavados. And don't make the mistake of associating premium with skill.

7. franek123

So one qestion :D I have to do more films?
    </br>--- merged: Sep 18, 2012 8:44 PM ---</br>
    Oh...wait two questions :D What is avocado spikes? :D

8. MINIMAN

MINIMAN Shark Slayer

Yes and No/
    Some i learnt by sitting there and watching,
    Others i desined my self.
    Avacado traps-kill u in a slit second if u touch them like if u run into this

:castle_wall::spikes: ->
    :castle_wall::spikes: ->
    :castle_wall:

9. haykalkinox

haykalkinox Catapult Fodder

Love it, good for noobies :D

10. ParaLogia

ParaLogia tired Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

That's not exactly what acavados are. The basis of an acavado trap is that a spike that is orientated on a trap bridge will re-orientate itself into a deadly position when an enemy comes and activate the bridge. One of the most earliest most basic traps was like this:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :castle_bg::spikes_bg::spikes_bg:
    :castle_bg::bridge::bridge:
    A blue teammate can easily pass through with no damage. But when an enemy jumps into it, the bridge goes down and the spikes, finding the next solid block according to its pattern of orientation, will face downwards and impale the enemy. In the old builds, side spikes weren't used as much because ceiling spikes were the only ones that insta-killed.

allknowingfrog, Gofio and Ej like this.
  11. franek123

</br>--- merged: Sep 19, 2012 1:36 PM ---</br>
    Ahh this :D Yeah nice trap for noobs :)[/quote]
    </br>--- merged: Sep 19, 2012 1:37 PM ---</br>
    Thx ;)

Gofio likes this.
  12. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

AARGH!?
    basically, its spikes that are attached to teambridges and become dangerous when the enemy comes near.
    actually, your stairs trap uses the same principle.
    again.. its a shame it was posted on the forums....
    for your other question, well, if you like doing this, Id sure continue doing it.
    the videos are very nice.

13. franek123

Just :)

Gofio likes this.
  14. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

you should conceal your traps more, though.
    its too easy to see how it works.
    also, ever noticed that the sprites of a nearly broken block looks like the backwall of the same type?
    and try making a one-use trap: one that makes something collapse.
    it can be very helpfull if you place such a trap on important towers, because usually the entire enemy team will charge and try take it, which makes such a trap even more devastating!
    you can make them by using weight drops, or by using boulder vendingmachines.

15. franek123

I will try do some trap of this kind ;)
    </br>--- merged: Sep 19, 2012 6:16 PM ---</br>
    Fuck yeah! I was playing Kag and...
    :h_rock: =rubble

:castle_wall::castle_wall:
    ----:door:
    ----:h_rock:
    :dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt::dirt:

It was something like this... i know it looks like shit. But it realy work! :D All enemies die on that thing.
    But i have one defect- it's for only one use.
    </br>--- merged: Sep 19, 2012 9:04 PM ---</br>
    What you think abaut it?

Gofio likes this.
  16. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

All but one of your traps utilize acavado spikes, pioneered by a guy (girl?) called...wait for it...Acavado. Spikes weren't designed to function that way, but their odd behavior has been widely accepted by the community. The bug has become a feature.

Your videos are cool, but you should try to give some credit to the original ideas. I'm curious who came up with the simple one at the end. That's brilliant.

Also, it looks like you've figured out that acavado spikes favor attaching to the left instead of the right. You were a blue builder in the video, but a couple of those traps are only useful on red. You should mention that.

FlameHaze3 likes this.
  17. FlameHaze3

FlameHaze3 Shark Slayer

Just watched them all, nicely done, should help improve players building stuff if they see this on the forums!
    Left a comment on your Mini Trap, ill be using that one from now on!

18. killatron46

killatron46 Cata Whore Donator
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

I also just watched them all in succession................ Was too epic. really.

Also, for anyone that took offense at him "stealing" people's designs without giving credit, I don't think he meant any harm, and like Franek123 said he saw them in-game. Most of these are posted in the builder sub-forum in different threads and or use mechanics posted in other threads. The thing that matters here is that Franek went to all the trouble to make a very entertaining video showcasing some of them! :)

Isn't the point of the forum to share information? Why should any information be withheld? Besides, I die to traps all the time, and I know just about everything there is to know about spikes (almost).

franek123 and Madoka like this.
  19. franek123

Yeah i forgot add annotation about it :)
    </br>--- merged: Sep 20, 2012 4:21 PM ---</br>
    Hey guys! What you think about my new trap?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1mfCEn9VXc

20. ParaLogia

I have little doubt that it's effective, but you should also include instructions on how to set it up like that.