1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Helpful General Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RebelINS, Jun 3, 2011.

1. RebelINS

RebelINS Guest

Post any tips that you have. They can be super obvious (to help new players), or relatively unknown.

Here's one that might not be too obvious:

If you're a Ranger and you want to help speed up wood chopping for your Builder allies, don't knock out the tree blocks. Leave the last hit for the Builders, because they only get wood from taking the tiles. Rangers can get arrows from any hit of a tree. This is the most optimal technique for sharing trees, and chopping them the fastest.

2. Also for Ranger, if you're facing a warrior who just keeps using his shield, jumping over him can easily solve that problem. I've managed to do some serious damage by doing this.

Oh and if you're a builder, listen to your team members. If one of them is spamming the ladder key, asking for ladders in chat and is trapped, then build ladders! It's not rocket science.

3. Zen

Zen Guest

What you can do when you're a Builder:
    *Assist your fellow Knights and Archers on their attack by destroying walls and building ladders
    *Building a forward camp with a catapult at the start of the game may give your team an edge early on
    *Build ladders on the enemy's cliffside so that your team can jump and climb across without a two-way bridge
    *Destroy enemy ladder-paths! (also, enemy catapults)
    *Archer towers
    *Catapults = Good
    *Build tricky vaults for your gold stash

Just my two cents.

4. Fructdw

Fructdw Shopkeep Stealer

Open autoconfig.gm [*\KAG\Base\Scripts\autoconfig.gm] with any text editor (for example WordPad) and change:
    global n_graph = 0 to global n_graph = 1 for showing the network activity graph:
    [​IMG]
    global u_shownames = 0 to global u_shownames = 1 for showing team member names above head:
    [​IMG]

5. RebelINS

RebelINS Guest

Staggered ladders against walls (as in one ladder tile, then empty, then one ladder tile again, repeat) are much faster than putting up all ladders, and they save you resources.

6. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

Don't hide all your gold in one place. Nobody ever looks on top of the mountains.

Most importantly, people are lazy; if you don't want enemies to use your tunnels, don't build ladders unless you need them. Destroy them afterward.

7. Roast Veg

Roast Veg Guest

Don't forget you can walk two ways on a skybridge. Disconnect one end and rebuild it at the other to make a skyboat instead.

8. CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC Guest

Keep moving. Never stop. Jump whenever possible.

Remember to stay a tricky target.

When firing a bow, don't think too hard about its trajectory. You don't have enough time to do that. Just use your gut feeling... it's usually right.

9. bilbs

bilbs Guest

When you see there is incoming arrow or catapult fire, zoom out and read the trajectory then move accordingly.

10. Ceical

Ceical Guest

My recent discovery: If you slap a cobble wall behind a ladder, you will receive your wood back and not lose any stone. (Works well on sky-bridges, sometimes unreliable underground).

I'll throw a knight tip as well I suppose. You can change the direction where you throw the bomb with your mouse. Also, by holding "F" you can hold the bomb while letting it countdown. (Good to release last minute for easy 1v1 shield fights)

11. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

You can change the resolution of the game, as well as other things, via C:/KAG/Base/Scripts/autoconfig.gm by editing the config file in Notepad. Makes the game run smoother for me.

12. Drin

Drin Guest

Interesting tip for diggers who want to make a ladder but lack wood. As you dig, place a hole in oneside wall then leave a block then another hole. IE XoXoXoX Where X is the holes, and o is plain earth or stone. You can jump/grapple/climb against wall by pressing up and whichever direction you placed the earth ladder and jumping. This lets you scale heights very fast, much faster then a ladder. In addition if you place no wooden ladders in the main tunnel you can straight fall for fast descent. So its like a elevator. Knights have a harder time climbing these then archers or builders though so you might want to leave some actual ladders about for the heavy lads.

13. JacKD

JacKD Guest

Screenshot

[img=Natural stairs]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/4932/naturalstairs.png[/img]

14. Strech

Strech KAG Guard Tester

As an archer, press F to pick up used arrows on the ground!

15. Vania

Vania Guest

[​IMG]

1) Always leave a murder hole in towers, so that archers can shoot at enemies trying to destroy the wall.

2) Place the door 3 tiles higher than the ground, so that soldiers have to destroy the stone wall instead.
    (replacing a stone wall is a lot cheaper than replacing a door!)

16. bilbs

bilbs Guest

Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    I had a nice one going in Shoozza's server today.
    People built ladders, people built into, people couldn't jump up it.
    After a while it caught on though.

The platforms to the right of it are also pretty handy. Put a door on each one and it's a very easily defensible.
    Hard to destroy with a bomb and takes a while to get the door down.

EDIT: I realized you can't read the text I circled. It reads
    "just hold left and up"

17. Gumball135

Gumball135 Guest

Don't Knights have trouble getting up those ladders, though?

18. Overlord

Overlord KAG Guard Tester

Haha I was in that game, we had a nice lookin base goin on there. Those floating platforms would be insanely hard to navigate