1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

HI GETI! Could you give us some tips on how to make games and stuff?

Discussion in 'Other games' started by SlyStalker, Jan 23, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

Read the title guys :up:

2. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

*cough* *cough* Geti will never reply, you nitwit, because he's stuck in trying to go through tons of code. Obvoiusly you have to start with coding, so check out the Code Academy.

3. AdrianC

AdrianC Haxor Tester

Many things required; coding, 3D modeling/spriting (depending on the game - 3D or 2D), sounds etc.
    If don't want to learn to code, you can try GameMaker and make some simple games.

4. SlyStalker

yes i know all of that already though... i know python and im learning pygame, i sprite for 2d games and i get sounds off the internet and edit them. i also know game maker but game maker doesnt have much versatility in terms of things you can make things do in the game and stuff.

but Geti checks into the forums occasionally, and i just hope he sees this. i want to put together my own dev team and thats why i think that Geti would have some useful tips for all of us

GloriousToast and arcanecat like this.
  5. arcanecat

arcanecat Shark Slayer

O sorry, I judged too fast, well then you could ask him on his profile page, to reply here.

SlyStalker likes this.
  6. SlyStalker

oh ok, thanks! i was considering asking him on his profile page but i thought i would be a pest :D

7. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Geti is not the maker of kag, I think it's MM, but Geti is co

8. SlyStalker

oh really? i thought geti was the more prominent thats all

9. toffie0

Yeah I thought it was Geti to then did a bit of reading about kag on other websites, plus my brother told me it was MM, so I'm pretty sure it's MM

10. SlyStalker

ohh ok. too late, i already asked Geti :D btw can you join the Programmers and Modders group I created pls :(

11. toffie0

Alright, can you invite Lazas? He is quite good at modding,

12. SlyStalker

ok cool! :) do you know anyone else who could benefit from being in this group?

arcanecat likes this.
  13. toffie0

A couple but most of them probably don't play kag anymore, instead of putting it here I'll put it onto your profile page since this is kinda off topic

SlyStalker likes this.
  14. SlyStalker

ok good idea thx :thumbs_up:

15. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We both work on it full time. Tell your brother.

@OP:

Tips:
    • Learn to do everything yourself, unless you have money to pay other people to do things.
      While there are rare people who're a combination of willing to work for free, skilled enough to work, and with a lot of free time, most people miss at least one of those criteria. The only way to guarantee that your vision gets completed is to do it yourself.
      If you've got money, then you can share it with people capable of sharing your vision, but honestly, high school game projects rarely go anywhere unless there's one guy who knows his shit pulling them along.
    • Learn to program. Immerse yourself in it. If you can't write code out of the air to fill a function, you aren't good enough yet.
    • Don't go over scope - the larger a project gets, the less likely it is to get finished, ever. Make small, mechanic based games first. Do no try to build the next minecraft as your first game project, or even your fifth.
    • Do gamejams - LudumDare is a good example of one that occurs regularly; it's important to have the ability to work quickly and to spec. If you cant do that with a vague specification you get during a game jam, there's no way you'll be able to do it from your own sprawling design documents.
    • Learn to kill your darling - just cause you made something, doesn't mean that it is good, or that anyone else will like it. If something isn't good, get rid of it. This goes for art, code, sound, music, everything.
    I wont be posting more in this thread, but I hope this has been useful. Take care.

AZ, hans_02, GloriousToast and 8 others like this.
  16. Panasonic

Panasonic Builder Stabber
    1. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Yeah I might make a game one day and my idol game is kag to drive me to succes

17. SlyStalker

and thats why i made this thread!:) so that Geti, who is many people's idol (including me :D), can teach people his tips! i've already started on my dream :B)::thumbs_up:

18. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

I'm no designer or something but.
    Isn't there a huge difference between modifying something that exists and creating something out of scratch?
    Someone could be creative and make some nice stuff out of other things that exist but it doesn't mean he can create the things he needs from scratch.

19. SlyStalker

well... i guess so...

Mods: BlueLuigi