1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Windows Linux Mac KAG Hosting a server - HOW TO, Win, Mac, Linux

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by kaizokuroof, May 10, 2016.

1. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Hey buds,

I don't see a guide stickied anywhere and I've been hosting KAG servers on and off for quite some time now, on dedicated servers running Linux, crappy Macbook Air and beastly windows gaming machines.
    I had some spare time, or rather, felt like procrastinating and decided I'd build a comprehensive guide on running servers, on all common operating systems: Linux, OSX and Windows, both 32bit and 64bit. If you get stuck, feel the guide lacks something or just want clarification, post away, this can be your one stop shop for all your dedicated/shared hosting needs. I might also add in that it's a work in progress, so some things may be missing for a while. There is also a section on generic stuff, that's common across the OS', as well as a future section on mods and running/creating your own mod.

Linux:
    The be all, end all. The one true server hosting OS and personally my favorite of the three OS'.

Things I am assuming you know how to do/what to do (with links to sources that will help you learn).
    1. Opening a terminal
    2. Navigating using CLI (Command Line Interface)
    3. Root privileges
    4. Can copy and pasta
    5. Are not afraid to get dirty >:^ )
    You'll need to download a copy of the KAG server version. It's located at the KAG2d.com address. In terminal, you can simply type the following code in to download it to the directory you're currently in. I suggest making a directory and downloading/unzipping in there.

Making the directory
    Code:
    mkdir KAGServer

Change directory to KAGServer
    Code:

cd KAGServer

Download the tar file
    Code:
    wget http://dl.kag2d.com/kag-linux32-dedicated-release.tar.gz

Unzip the file
    Code:
    tar -zxf kag-linux32-dedicated-release.tar.gz

Now we need to check that all the libraries/needed files are installed before we run the server:
    Check that you have the correct architectures on your Linux machine
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --print-foreign-architectures

If i386 is not present:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Update your packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

Install the libs that KAG needs to run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386 libxext6:i386 libx11-6:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libgcc1-dbg:i386 libxdamage1:i386 libxfixes3:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386 libxcb-glx0:i386 libxcb-dri2-0:i386 libxcb1:i386  libdrm2:i386 libxdmcp6:i386

(Optional) - I don't think you need to make your executable, executable, but just in case:
    Code:
    chmod +x KAGDedi

Launch your KAG server
    Code:
    ./KAGDedi

Press control and C to send the termination signal and stop the server once all the files have downloaded and the gamemode starts.

@@@@@@@@@@@EDITING YOUR AUTOCONFIG.CFG@@@@@@@@@@@@
    KAGServer\autoconfig.cfg - holds all the basic information for your server, such as The name, description, server game-type, port, Player cap and more. Please see below for full variable information.

WIP
    sv_gamemode = X; where X can be Y, Z, A B C

Once you've setup your autoconfig how you want it you can start the server again and enjoy your game mode.

Windows:

Windows.. this is going to cover from XP to Win 10, it should essentially be the same.
    WIP

For more details you can check out these links:
    https://wiki.kag2d.com/wiki/Server

Port-forwarding, what is it and how do I do it?
    Port forwarding is done on your router menu. It means to route traffic of a specific port, to a specific IP address. IE, people trying to connect to your server will be pointed towards your server.
    You would need to log onto your router, open up the port forwarding tab, sometimes known as "Applications and Gaming" and forward KAG's default port (50301) both TCP and UDP towards the computer that you are running the KAG server from IP address.

Common issues and how to fix them:

FAQ:

Any questions asked in the this thread will be deleted and moved into here (once answered of course).

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    kiaran, blackjoker77777 and Psiklaw like this.