1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How to get the best performance in KAG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Qmart, Jan 22, 2017.

1. asger75

asger75 Haxor

You gave me an epilepsy attack

2. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

turn off soft shadows and MSAA. I'd keep the hair physics though, it's pretty much essential.

3. PooManCHU

PooManCHU Shopkeep Stealer

bit late, but i think i will still chime in with my two cents, i have done alot to my kag and pc to get KAG to run better, i used to have a FX 6300, that cpu has 6 logical core 3 physical cores which means each core shares resources, it's the same story with Intel's hyper threading, becasue KAG only makes use of one core on your cpu making that core share resources with a second thread hurts your performance, you can change a setting in your PC's bois from two CU, compute unit's per core to one, disabling unneeded threads will help speed up your core 0 single thread cycle, just make sure that you enable them again when playing your other games that actually make use of high core CPU's

you can always try an over clock, cpu and gpu, although KAG makes use of about 10% GPU 90% CPU so the CPU will be your main focus, any AMD CPU's from the past 10 or so years can be over clocked, the better your MOBO and CPU cooler is the higher you will be able to go. intels a bit more stingy when it come to over clocking olny there k level skew has a fully unlocked multiplier, but if you don't have a k series CPU never fear, you can still up the CPU multiplier somewhat i will able to overclock my i5 2400 from 3.1 to 3.4 ghz. that's just making the CPU stay at the boost clock.
    there is also the base clock over clock, type of overclocking but that's more dangerous is it's overclocking everything in your system and you only get about 2-3% performance gains 5% at most.

next place your KAG on your SSD if you have one. better yet a RAMDISK, if you have the steam version i don't think you can place a steam library onto a Ramdisk so that might be a problem, but hey why are you using the steam version anyway, there is a drm free version and if you buy the game from THD directly steam doesn't get that all so tasty 30% cut of the profits. if you can spear 100 mb you can do it. here's a link to the free peice of software that i use http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

use i wired internet connection, this go's without saying if you are playing game's on wifi still please leave, probs the source of all your lag problems.

while KAG.exe is running open task manager open the details tab find KAG.exe right click set priority to high, real-time will mess things up, that's if your pc lets you select this option if the first place. high is fine, i use an in game resolution of 720p have of years, since alpha, cant play with any other resolution now but hey lower resolution means more performance so alg. apart from that everything else has already been said. if after all of this your KAg is still running to slow for you, you may need to upgrade, if you are, and specifically for KAG just looks up passmark.com single thread performance list of cpu's, the better the single thread the better for KAG pretty much the only thing that matters

4. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

The hyperthread technology only has a limited effect on single thread tasks. There are advantages to HT, but it rarely affect games.

Overclocking your GPU is unnecessary, because most of the time spent in rendering related code is actually CPU overhead. If you use an old driver, you may want to upgrade the driver, perhaps its CPU overhead has improved.
    Overclocking the CPU will help, but it will increase the power consumption of your machine and the generated heat. It will also reduce the lifetime of the CPU and you cannot (really shouldn't) do it on laptops.

Note that the KAG version distributed on steam is the same as the standalone version, so it is DRM free and you can launch it without steam.
    Putting KAG on a faster storage medium will help with loading times, and may reduce some frame lag when playing the few first minutes (not all files are precached, and resource loading is not done asynchronously). However, modern OSes make use of disk caching, which means that after running KAG once ideally most files should be kept in memory already.

Using a wired connection will indeed help a lot of you're using an unstable wifi. Of course, especially if you have a weaker net connection, you should avoid downloading things in the background (including devices on the same network).

An obvious one is to enable faster graphics. There is some CPU overhead implied by it.

5. PooManCHU

oh yep all good to know, i didn't bother to tell people about the, side effects of overcolcking, just as i didn't post instructions, because any one who is attempting to mess around with there bios and cpu will read up on it first, you would have to be a dunderhead not to, cpu's are expensive things. also i forgot to mention that disabling C6/state, or speed scale or something like that on newer boards, that will stop the CPU's frequency from jumping all over the place, this may or may not help in-game frame jumps, since i have had mine set to off for years so i don't know for sure

6. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

*Psst* turn on kids mode, it gets rid of splashy gibs on everything and makes kag ctf bearable.

Monkey_Feats likes this.
  7. PooManCHU

without the gibs of my enemies to bath in whats the point of KAG tho, in all honestly im gonna try this later tonight see if it does anything for the games usability

8. Ozminer

Ozminer Bison Rider

splashy gibs, gibs are still there

9. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

isn't this game locked at 30 FPS? It really doesn't matter past a certain point then, right?.

10. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Yes, basically all logic runs at 30 ticks a second. Uncapped framerate has nearly no effect (it doesn't even affect the camera or the cursor), that's something I'd like to change though.
    It is possible to get frame time spikes and <30fps, though, if you run older hardware or run massive mods.

11. PooManCHU

Update, since my Mobo with my i5 2400 got struck by lightning i have been using my fx 6300 again, and it's lower single thread performance has really been annoying me in KAG, elaborating on what i said earlier about disabling cores and CU's not only does this help with single thread performance, it also allows for a higher maximum OC. depending on what you got in the silicon lottery this could be quite significant, i was able to push my fx 6300 from a slight OC on all 6 cores (4.GHZ) to 4.5GHZ when disabling all but two, im going to try to push even further to 5.00GHZ on stock cooler BTW lol