1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

How to properly get an ADMIN position.

Discussion in 'Groups' started by Klokinator, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Okay so I already posted this in the admin applications thread but I feel it deserves its own topic. If you don't have the time to read this, then really you don't have the time to be an admin. So read it, thanks.

If you want to get a position as an admin, you need to demonstrate the reason that you will make a good admin. EVERYONE wants to "ban grifers" and "stop RKers" (Personally I almost never punish RKers but that's just me) and "make ppl act gud" but really, these are just statements that everyone makes when applying for an admin position. It's like applying for a job as a bank teller and saying "I really just love to count money and bla bla bla" because you're just telling us what we want to hear.

Really, just reading even the most well constructed admin application does not really tell us anything about your level of trust, your level of maturity on the server once you get said hypothetical position, or whether you'll completely abuse it and go power mad. Of course, a poorly written application can do wonders to ensure you never get said position, so I'm going to tell you the greatest way you can possibly get an admin position, and it requires minimal typing at best.

Submit screenshots! Of people doing wrong things, specifically. A screenshot(s) of a griefer destroying something, or someone being abusive in chat, or the things you actually see going wrong on the server and reporting them for us to take care of will do wonders towards helping you get an admin position. If I see, say, FredMay(Fictional person not related at all to the member of the same name for obvious reasons of obviousness) posting pictures of griefers and their ilk every so often in a calm, respectable fashion, I'm going to think "Wow that guy is really on the ball and he keeps catching these guys." Even if we decide not to take action (Maybe the person thought the tower wouldn't collapse or maybe they screamed loudly for an unban, whatever) we still take note that mister FredMay reports people often.

FredMay might not even post an application at all. He might just keep posting images of griefers and explaining what he saw, and importantly, in a calm and respectable fashion. If he posts an image of a guy griefing and then screams something like "THIS PIECE OF SHIT WAS GRIEFING MY BASE AND I WANT HIS STUPID ASS BANNED" then guess what? We might not only not take his request seriously, but we more than likely won't take FredMay himself seriously.

If he posts that same image and then says "Hey there, I was playing on the server today at 1:24 and a guy named 'FreddieMercuryAnusLover69' started griefing our base. He destroyed 10 shops and kegged the outer wall and there weren't any admins online, so I hope you guys can take action." then I'll say "Wow, thanks for the report. We'll take care of this." and mentally I'll be giving FredMay a pat on the back and thinking "Wow, what a reliable griefer report. A few more of these and I'll be making him an offer for admin and I won't take no for an answer."

Worst of all though, if someone posts an admin application because they think the admins we have now are "utter shit" or some other reason that insults us as free volunteers and this person thinks they can do the job better, kiss your chances goodbye. We aren't perfect and we make mistakes. Sometimes I like playing on a server and not administrating. Sometimes I may make a questionable decision. The only time my actions or the actions of another admin should be called into question is if we are clearly and deliberately doing something abusive, like insulting other players, or griefing a structure we didn't make ourselves, or some other variant of this.

If the only way you can think of to apply for an admin position is to insult another admin and claim your superiority, or to insult a player in a game and subsequently therefore the admins for not taking action sooner/at all, then you have no chance at being an admin. If your English skills are bad (And I generally mean very bad, because even someone who doesn't speak English well can make a good admin.) enough that we can't understand you or you're almost unintelligible, you won't get the position. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

If you've read this whole message and you still want to be an admin, then good for you! Work on reporting griefers in this thread as I've mentioned above and soon, you could be joining us as a fellow admin. Not for the glory or position (I sure as hell don't do it for that reason) but to make the server a more enjoyable place and to keep unwanted people out.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. If by chance you DO spot one of our admins being abusive as mentioned above, post screenshots/video in this thread to report them. If you say "your admins all suck" or "klokinator is a sucky admin" but without any evidence, we won't take you seriously. I do mean that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    PinXviiN likes this.
  2. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Just a bit on the last part, If you say that stuff without evidence, We will most likely be biased against you. Well, I would be, I'd file you down as a kid with no respect, and can't prove any of his words, and are probably lying inside my brain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.