1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

I can't get a server running.

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Mynamewastakenagain, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Mynamewastakenagain

Mynamewastakenagain Catapult Fodder

Hello.

I've been trying for around the past 2 days to get a server up and running. The most progress I've been able to make has been at least getting it to show up on the server list, but nobody can connect except for me, and even then only if I connect using the "Connect to..." feature. Any time anybody tries to connect it will show at the top that they are trying to connect to 0.0.0.0:50301 before moving them back to the server list with the message, "Please check the address again and make sure the server is running."

I have opened every port in the guide, under both UDP and TCP, and even some ports that are currently not even in use anymore apparently like 51308. I've made my IP static. I've gone to the autoconfig file and blanked the IP and IPv6 sections, kept them as 0s, manually put the IPs necessary, as every IP that could possibly work that I can think of, and none of them have worked and had mostly the same results, the only real differences being that sometimes the server would show up on the list and sometimes not. When it did, still, nobody could connect except for me through the "Connect to..." menu. I have even tried copying the entire game out of the Program Files folder and into /C:, and disabling my router's entire firewall just in case that was causing a problem. If it's worth anything, on the menu if you click on the server, it'll say it's not responding by the ping and the map preview will be blank. I've read all the guides and threads that had the same issues between now and 4 years ago and don't know if I'm just missing something or if it's impossible for me to host a server.

Is there something I'm missing or does somebody maybe have advice? I'm really at a loss on what else to do because I've tried so many different things that I've pretty much been repeating my steps thinking I missed something.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Last time I tried to host a server at home was impossible too, and can't remember what was the exact thing that made them run ok a year and a half ago. I would recommend, in case you use Steam version, to download the official client > to install it in a separate folder in c:, and use it only for dedicatedserver.bat
    get it here
    http://kag2d.com/en/download

apart from that, I believe it's got to do with your router, ip tweaks etc... Even if you got the ports properly open, and set a static IP, there's something fishy around. I wish we could have a simple solution for this too.

3. Mynamewastakenagain

Mynamewastakenagain Catapult Fodder

I'm somewhat relieved that I'm at least not the only one.

I do actually have the Steam version and haven't tried the official client. I'll give that a try soon and post my results. Also, should it not work, would logs from the cmd prompt popup help? I couldn't find anything wrong in it network wise when I looked at it but as always I could be missing something else.