1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

I got grasp of the basics ... but what should I do now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Socializator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

If your new to KAG, never be a builder unless you know EXACTLY what your doing and how it will help.
    Being semi-new myself, I can't offer much advice, but as long as you don't build 1 thick, barely supported stone pillars to heaven or giant blocks of doors, you should be able to keep of Noobs in Action.
    Also, AIMTD is pretty good, they helped me get the hang of shield bashing. :)

2. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

A question for Socializator, SirSalami and others:

I've been mulling over the possibility of creating a series of short (probably about 15-30 seconds each) clips covering non-obvious skills in KAG (e.g. basic Parkour, step-through explanations for class-specific techniques, a few useful and quick-to-build structures, maybe some commentary on the elements of good building design, etc.).

Would this be helpful? Or do people feel there are already enough tutorials out there? I guess I was wondering if having a couple of short, simple videos displayed prominently (rather than having walls-o-text hidden away in a subforum) might help soften the learning curve for new players? I've a wealth of teaching skills that could be applicable here, but I'd rather not pour hours into something that will fall into the 'highly informative but sadly gathering dust in a back corner somewhere' category (which is why I've never created a building thread--the Classes subforum is too easy for people to miss).

If you'd like me to put something like this together (first for Classic, later for the full version when mechanics are finalised) let me know.

(Also, are there any particular skills people feel need highlighting for the newcomer?)

SirSalami, Chinizz, Ghozt and 2 others like this.
  3. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

See, I tried making a knight/archer tutorial and builder tutorial, as in videos, but there's only so much you can cover. My builder video was like 30 minutes long. I think having a few quick videos that show how to do something (like vaulting, the importance and usefulness of boostpads, etc etc.) would definitely be helpful.

The problem with having a "builder tutorial" is that there's really no way to encompass everything entailed in being a builder. Sure, anyone can throw up a notched wall or a line piece to stop enemy advancement, but what about formulating your own ideas into towers? See, I can build shit that other people have come up with no problem. But I cannot really for the life of me come up with a decent, efficient and fully functional tower to save my life. Also, there's the different TYPES of builders; combat, defensive, traps, tunnelers, termites, etc. Sure, I suck as a defensive builder, repairing walls and creating solid, useful structures, but I am pretty decent at Mario'ing over doods and laddering up an enemy's wall.

My point is that a builder tutorial is damned near impossible. Even in my 30some minute video, I barely even covered half the shit that goes into this game, and it's ALREADY outdated. Haha.

tl;dr - An all encompassing builder tutorial is kinda a moot point. However, several shorter videos explaining different nuances of each builder TYPE might really prove useful!

Chinizz and Gofio like this.
  4. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Vaulting is completely essential for videos.
    I'd also say spike pits need some explaining, I see many news digging 15 deep pits to hell, then getting slaughtered by the advancing enemy before they have a chance to put spikes in it.
    You should also mention to never put a team door facing your opponent less then 5 blocks off the ground if you can help it.

5. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

yeah, but guides tell you HOW to do it.
    your way would be to play for a month, then find out how bombjumping works.
    my way would be to find out how to bombjump, then perfect it for a month.
    see the difference?

EDIT: wrong. it says its your 199th post!
    </br>--- merged: Jul 5, 2012 7:13 AM ---</br>
    ANOTHER TIP!
    search for tyngns guide on how to put dummies into sandbox.
    its a good way to train some combat skills, and you can play builder too.
    but, if U use bombs.... ..well, you will see what happens if you use bombs in tyngns sandbox.

6. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

On the overall subject of help and tutorials:
    I initially came up with the idea of AIMTD, I am the laser of aim. It is a formula that works quite well with lots of our members progressing; the only problem is that we haven't had a server, later this week we will be getting a server so for most lag players there will be a server where it will be devoted toteaching other players how to play for x amount of time.

How I see it running is if you want to get on you have to get the password from a forum thread or just word of mouth, that way people will actually know what's going on and don't come in just slaughtering people. If I get enough intrest we will most likely be doing this, if you have any interest on being a mentor you will get the temp rcon with editor off. So tour job will e to mentor everyone. Maybe I could make rooms, say with 6 rooms per map, each room is for one specific thing. One room, vaulting techniques, one room line blocks and so on.

@Fbb, the plan we are getting comes with two ips, so if I have permission from cod we can make a small based server so then youcan have someone helping you with things like bashing, voice chat woul make this a lot better.

I agree with everyone saying that it's good you want to learn something and if you see me ingame feel free to ask for some pointers.
    This community is also fantastic, as you can see from how many posts I have.
    Happy Kaggin!

Gofio and HERaLD like this.
  7. CoD

CoD Haxor

Back on-topic. Yeah Fuzzy, I am in the progress of renting a server, it comes with two ips i.e. two servers. I can paddcpde one and usrle it for that purpose.

short_round likes this.
  8. Yihka

Yihka Shopkeep Stealer

When I first played, I didn't feel intimidated at all.

Alright, perhaps as builder but you can practically do w/e you want as an archer / knight. As a builder I just made whatever seemed logical to make and you'd see for yourself what's right and what's wrong ( Just don't modify existing buildings if you have no idea what you're doing ). Plus take a look at how other builders make their defenses, just know that many of them aren't really good ( Nor am I but mine seems to help quite a bit )

I hope that helps you out a bit.

9. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The problem I see with some of the new players is that they dont listen when you try to explain something. It's ok when they ask for advice.
    I've noticed a raise in new KAG players having bought premium, we need to check this out and help and advice when possible.
    By the way, you make good reading the forums, you may learn new tactics from some creative players.

Gofio likes this.
  10. KnightGabe13

KnightGabe13 Arsonist

Yes, I think it would be very helpful. Don't have it rotting away somewhere though, get it stickied in the Help! section. :p
    You should cover some pro-tips aswell, so that everyone benefits. And, perhaps when the next build comes out with different parkour physics, you could do a video on that? :) We newbs (and semi-newbs) shall feed on your knowledge! Muahahahahaah!

11. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

what we need is a section with guides and lists that are aproved by the mods and admins.
    then you wouldnt have to search the entire list...
    because even acavados list of guides is not complete.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  12. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

Well, I guess some video guides would be good for the newcomers or even regulars, IF you kept them as short as you implied.
    After all these months it's still pretty rare to see someone shield up when in a higher position for someone to climb up on, for example.
    Watching 15+ minute long tutorials might get tedious, but a few basic "advanced techniques" should be covered somewhere.

Beef likes this.
  13. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Someone should restart the tutorial squad. I've been in charge (and failed) on at least two different video projects, so I can give good advice (on things not to do).

14. Bleh, just gonna throw an idea out there.

Someone could talk to me through skype/mumble/whatever, and then we could some short tutorial videos with me recording and them talking.

Example: FBB says "Now were going to show you vaulting, this is when you blah blah blah blah" then I proceed to show vaulting. (Just used Fbb as an example)

15. Gofio

Gofio Gunwobbler x3

I'd love to make a tutorial...
    ...but I can't get FRAPS, or any other recording software, to work. :QQ:
    </br>--- merged: Jul 7, 2012 6:19 AM ---</br>
    Ghozt got his genius moment right now. dont disturb or his brain will explode and cover the world with pink stuff.
    </br>--- merged: Jul 7, 2012 6:21 AM ---</br>
    of course you can be builder!
    just ask "what should I build, Im new" and they will probably give you something usefull to do.

16. HERaLD

HERaLD Shark Slayer

Im not saying he cant, im saying he shouldnt unless he knows what hes trying to build.

Gofio likes this.
  17. Socializator

Socializator Builder Stabber

Dont forget written guides are usefull as well, I prefer them much more :) But they are more time consuming to create (having done myself a few) and one might feel sort of pointless after larger updates of the game (which I have understood are happening quite often?)
    But I have something else to say. You guys are are using terms like vaulting, fortifying etc... I sort of expect what fortifying means and got what vaulting is from one of the guides posted on forum, but is there some comprehensive list of used terms, abbreviations etc. all at one place?
    I also agree with the impression that there is lot of stuff to cover, lot of small and unintuitive tricks (e.g. dont build workshop over the trees... why is it even allowed in the first place) which might increase the general difficult feeling when learning by playing.

On the other hand, most of the people probably dont really bother with reading/watching guides and they just jump into the game. I really like the idea of the beginner servers being used by default, but my large complaint is that no building is allowed in there. Yet the building is the most problematic thing for both newcomer and the team he is placed into. So he starts experimenting with that in the sharp game.
    And I dont really accept advice to not use the builder class if you are new. (almost) Noone will resist playing with that as first. It is wha tmakes this game unique and that thus cannot be expected to be ignored by random "lets-try-this-game"-ers

18. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

The whole "beginners" server thing are just rapid team death match servers, I've noticed.

Most people don't give a shit about learning or team-oriented goals, so they just jump in it for themselves with a, "Fuck the world," attitude. They'll make the derpy shit and ruin the game for his team because he's built some giant stone slab with ladders on it and that's one less space for his team to build on.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but really, only shops should be built behind the tent. Anything else is useless. The backfield should always be used for mining and resource stockpiling. If you're not sure what to make, build some shops. Try not to kill trees en mass. Sometimes it's necessary to chop down one tree and build over it, but if it's possible keep as many alive as you can.

Ghozt likes this.
  19. SirSalami

SirSalami THD Team THD Team Administrator

Just gonna put this out there:

I worry about any tutorials who's intent is to be on these forums, as we will probably not reach many of the people that need to see it. However, if someone were to take short (< 5 secs) small (~200x200 px) videos of some tips n' tricks, i could inject them into the instruction manual as animated gifs. Perhaps we'd reach more new players there? I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but haven't found the time / patience yet.

20. Socializator

Socializator Builder Stabber

Yep... is this actually intended?

But what can you expect - there is no other way for them to learn. Tutorial covers only the very basics and beginners servers dont allow building. I did exactly the same thing - learning by doing. Unfortunatelly, this is possible only in full action match.