1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Internet Addiction Debate:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ghozt, Sep 30, 2012.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. Ghozt

Ghozt Haxor

2. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

I lol'd. Someone probably lit his house on fire, or something.

Why does this seem so familiar... oh fuck.

I don't think it's the kids' fault. Video games/internet/iPads are like the new TV. Parents stick their babies in front of it and they shut up. It's bad parenting. They're claiming technology is the evil thing here when it's the irresponsible parents' faults. Technology is fucking awesome.

I have two little brothers. I can attest to the tantrums children throw when it's time to stop playing games or get off the computer. They're just little tantrums, however. My brothers are severely intelligent, and like swimming. Technology is only a piece of their lives.

Children are supposed to not understand what the hell they want. Playing this fun little flash game on the computer, and it's suddenly time to go visit the aunt? Hell, I would throw a fit if I was young and had internet access. This article is talking about addictions that involve withdrawal symptoms when the devices are removed. That's some severe shit, yo. Point is, it's natural for kids to have fits when they don't get what they want, but the kids that are actually suffering from mental defections... it's a symptom of bad parenting, not evil technology.

Lord_bugg, XyellowX, feet and 4 others like this.
  3. Jim_Dale

Jim_Dale Arsonist

What always did it for me was that reality is just plain boring as shit, especially when you experience 5,500 hours a year of it. What you'll find regardless of computer access in everyone is some sort of illusion or way a "way to escape reality", whether it be bike-riding, daydreaming, or getting drunk in a bar.
    For example, before I had access to computers (and actually using liked them) I used to read books almost all of my waking hours, earning myself an aptly named book ban.
    What I think they're actually finding here is an addiction to an in-depth "fantasy" (i.e. anything except reality) world. Computer and Networking technology just happens to be blamed for this because it provides the closest experience to escaping reality than any other social medium. And perhaps this proves to be more attractive to children and teenagers because of a mostly pre-made fantasy universe (where everything has already been designed, colored, and programmed by a team), in a similar way where children will prefer to look at pictures or comic strips or television instead of reading a novel explaining the same.

Now that's a turn of phrase I've never heard of before. Ever.

EDIT: As for kids starving themselves because of an addiction, it seems more like a parenting problem, as Jade said. If your kid was addicted to drugs you wouldn't jolly well put them in front of a bunch of needles full of heroin, now would you?

Beef, Canadian98 and GreenRock like this.
  4. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

You... you're funny.

I agree with what your saying. Kids go to video games because everything has been imagined for them already. It's easier for children to get lost in these pre-made worlds, as opposed to the imaginary worlds created by authors. Reading, in the modern child's eye, is way more difficult than moving a character around a screen.

5. D0ubl3Tr0ubl3

D0ubl3Tr0ubl3 Shopkeep Stealer

Greenrock is wright
    </br>--- merged: Oct 5, 2012 11:11 PM ---</br>
    *right

6. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

[​IMG]

feet, Rainbows and Lord_bugg like this.
  7. Lord_bugg

Lord_bugg Smashing Donator

Whats going on? I agree that people should have access to games and the internet. But when i was seven i had a GAME BOY COLOUR not a fricking ipad and laptop.

Canadian98 likes this.
  8. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Times be changin'

9. Lord_bugg

True Dat

10. ImAwesome

ImAwesome Haxor

I had a book when I was seven.A.K.A an internet that you get bored of.
    That is all.
    I completely lol'd at that article.

11. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I'll tell you now, I didn't even bother to read the article, but...

This type of slanderous bullshit has been going on since the early 90s with the whole violent video games causing violent children ideal. I played pretty much every violent video game ever released from the time I was able to pick up a controller, and I'm a (fairly) well adjusted adult who goes to college, holds down a job and has never harmed a fly. Unless the fly fucks with me first. But the media is always looking for a scapegoat, so instead of blaming shitty parents for allowing their kids to spend countless hours with unfettered computer access, they'll just blame the games and blame the internet. They'll create some ridiculous "mental illness" to ease all the scared parents' fears and let them know, "Hey, it's not your fault you were a terrible parent. It's all this internet business causing your kids to be little assholes." Know what my parents did when I favored video games over school and ended up getting a C on my report card? They took it away from me. Why is that so hard for parents today? Shit, I was KIND OF a bad kid in kindergarten, and after a parent teacher conference my mom came home and smashed my NES. Fucking SMASHED IT. You know I was a fucking angel from that point on.

The point is that parents are the problem nowadays. They abdicate their duties as parents and allow their children to get into God knows what on the internet. In fact, I shudder at the fact that KAG has 8 year olds playing because of the type of language/sexism/racism that goes on. Parents really need to get off their ass and start disciplining their kids. Period.

LucasTT likes this.
  12. Canadian98

Canadian98 Haxor Tester

Well it's like parents complaining about how "Bad" GTA is because they bought and watched their 10 year old son play it.

13. Lord_bugg

The funniest thing is the tests that people come up with to tell if kids have been affected by violent games. I remember when one of my teachers told the class that in one test a person would knock a pot of pencils off a table and the kids that didnt pick up the pot had played violent games and the ones that did hadnt. How is this a credible test with solid reasoning? it just tells you wich people can be botherd to pick it up.

Mods: BlueLuigi