1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Is the game really realistic? Facts vs Gameplay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keyofdoor, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Vatx

Vatx Ballista Bolt Thrower

Actually i would really like to see blimps in KAG, but i can't see any point of submarines.

2. Cadbury

Cadbury You can't escape. Donator

Personally I think airships and whatnot would be a bit too steampunk-y to fit the game's theme. Maybe modders could add that in themselves if they wanted to.

Battles on the high seas would be pretty bitchin' though.

GHOZT and thebonesauce like this.
  3. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Dragons, underwater serpents , Cannontoads.
    But we can't be sure! How are we to know that the players are not multi skilled steam punk robots?

4. Gredd

Gredd Builder Stabber

IDEA. Cannons. Ships. That Is All.

5. Eric

Eric Shark Slayer

Airships would be the skybridge to end all skybridges.

6. Gredd

Gredd Builder Stabber

That One arrow In The Air-Pack Thing Would Make It Fall, Killing The People Inside.
    FAILGREIF

7. Kyzak

Kyzak Ballista Bolt Thrower Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This thread's hardly run its' original course-discussing realistic merit of things-- to be drifting off to another-how beneficial to gameplay these unrealistic things would be--; back on topic, please.

8. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Realism only belongs in games that strive for realism. Bombs in medieval times? I could see it happening. Why couldn't they just stumble across some way to create an explosive element?

I remember someone bitching about how they wanted the fly glitch to stay in. Bombjumping is one thing, at least there are some physics behind it and in the goofy, Monty Pythonesque style of the game; while two knights flying is hilarious, I just don't see how two knights holding their shields towards the air magically cements them on a horizontal axis, allowing them to freely move left and right.

Frankly, this game is about as good as it gets when it comes to massively multiplayer games. Two teams of upwards of 48 people (24 on 24), fun, fast-paced, humorous with the reactions and Wilhelm screams, plus the competitive nature... It isn't the type of game where you can go to a website, drop $10 and suddenly have 10 million gold in your game. You can't BUY skill, which makes it have a level playing field. Anyone can become skilled at this game, it just takes a ton of practice, strategizing, and teamwork.

I have no problem with things being unrealistic in this game; but it at least has to make SENSE. Hence why I enjoy bombjumping, but thought planing was such a stupid glitch.

Dark_Ham, DanPabst and Rayne like this.
  9. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

On Topic: I'll agree with Kyzak, and Jackard in that realism isn't what makes a game good. Honestly, some of my favorite games lack a lot of realism.

Something easy (and can be used as a comparison): Legend of Zelda. You control a character that fights monsters and takes items out of hammer space to fight them. Is it realistic, no, not really. Is it fun, yes at least to me.

Simply put, realism does not make a game good. Using Legend of Zelda as an example. If it were realistic, you would be unable to carry most of those items. In Ocarina of Time, adult Link can hold: 20+ bombs the size of his head, 20+ homing bombs, 4 bottles, 1 giant hammer, 2 swords, 2 shields (1 that reflects lasers beams), a set of iron boots (that while in your pockets doesn't way you down, but they do when you wear them), a set of boots that let you fly, 3 sets of clothes (1 which protects you from fire and the other lets you breath underwater), 1 magical eye glass that lets you see through fake walls, 20+ deku nuts that explode and freeze enemies around you, 1 hookshot that lets you grapple to things, 1 bow with 30+ arrows, 3 crystals that let you change the arrows to magical arrows and 3 magicks, all in 1 pocket.

If the game was made realistic, Link would only be able to at most, carry 1 sword, 1 shield, the bow with a quiver, 1-2 bottles and maybe 1 or 2 bombs. Would the game be better because of that? No, it probably wouldn't. In fact, if Legend of Zelda focused on realism, it probably wouldn't be fun at all. That said, not just anything could fit into the game. Why? Because it has a setting. A car would make no sense and it'd feel out of place.

As thebonesauce said, it just has to make sense. It can be realistic, but there needs to be some sort of reasonable, loose explanation on how it works. Link can carry a ton of items, he has magical pockets, makes sense. You shield a bomb, the explosion pushes on your shield and that is what pushes you in the direction the bomb exploded. Makes enough sense. You lift you shield and it lets you glide for just a bit, fair enough. Knight Flying by lifting your shield up with another somehow makes you fly? Doesn't make sense.

Therefore when people say a suggestion isn't realistic, what they mean to say is that it doesn't fit in the context of the game. Whether or not it's realistic is irrelevant as long as it makes sense as far as the game's logic is concerned.

10. Auri

Auri Tunnel Addict Donator Tester

You guys are all silly, obviously realism is what makes games timeless masterpieces.
    Just look at the greats: Mario, Sonic, Kirby, etc.

Did any of these games let you fly on airships or have bombs or robots?
    The facts speak for themselves.

BlueLuigi, GHOZT, Birdman159 and 4 others like this.
  11. saniblues

saniblues KAG Guard Tester

It's a damn game, who cares? Unless you plan on hiding in caves and bashing people's skulls in with hammers realism shouldn't matter.

Eric likes this.
  12. Chinizz

Chinizz Arsonist

I don't know, if the game is realistic. Maybe the world is not made in 2d pixel art. Maybe in early Medieval Age, there were no bombs. Aaaargh ! I hate bomb ! Maybe in real world, you can't destroy a cata with 3 arrows. Maybe there is a lot of thing, including physics and mecanic, that is not really realistic in Kag, but who cares?
    Kag is just a damn good game.

GHOZT and Auri like this.
  13. Xlayer

Xlayer Haxor

What great, popular game is realistic? Not even COD is realistic in my opinion.
    With the removal of squeezing, I don't see why people are complaining about it not being real.

Plus, real life is boring. Who wants to play a game and be reminded of how boring real life is?

14. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Why would you dislike stuff that doesn't make sense?
    Minecraft doesn't make sense, but you can create questions of it.
    You can make answers out of that

15. S2uRI

S2uRI Builder Stabber

I think if there is valuable gameplay involved, add it. A note to the DEVS - Make this game into what you envision it to be, while adding on things suggested by the fan base IF you believe it to be valuable.

16. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

What do you mean by valuable?

17. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I would assume he means valuable to the game itself; IE. something that is fun and makes the game more enjoyable or more balanced.

S2uRI likes this.
  18. S2uRI

S2uRI Builder Stabber

Defined by the developers, but pretty much, if adding it makes the game more/less fun.

If this was a hardcore realistic game, then valuable could be defined as the realism of a feature.

19. Sapirot

Sapirot Builder Stabber

As long as it sticks to the medieval theme, i am fine with it.

20. The_Khan

The_Khan Bison Rider

No perks, just visual perks like capes and such.

Beef likes this.