1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

It is a game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 00arak00, Jul 11, 2014.

1. 00arak00

00arak00 Catapult Fodder

So Today I was looking thinking about the old snes game king Arthur's world and got here. Game looked cool, dropped the money and was enjoying the experiencing with one little problem.. Seems like every game I join has at least 1 or 2ragers on the team. Yea it is the interweb and all, and none if it was even directed at me directly(that I could tell)but seriously, one game the person though they were in charge and repeated " F--king F-g" to anyone who build anything without their specific permission, another game had a person constantly raging if the entire team did no pick the clases they wanted and move or charge like they wanted.. and it was not like our team was doing badly, both games were a win...... I have played about 6 games no on different servers and every time there was someone like this.. game 5 i found the ignore and that was nice but really.... it is a game all.

Yea, I know it is the internet and this kind of post is just as common as the angry ones and I am just yelling at the wind, but I said my thing, changing no minds or hears with some people thinking posts like this are just as bad as the angry ones.

Least I got some friends to get this game too so if i don't like it i can swim in my own pool. I had my little fit.

2. Can't fix that

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

both games probably were a win because of that guy who was raging at his team.

Seriously, the amount of braindead minecrafters is mind-boggling, it's also the reason why I quit the game some 4 months ago.

startselect3 likes this.
  4. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

@Monsteri-- In the games defense most of the braindead minecrafters play RP now instead of the actually game.

startselect3 likes this.
  5. Monsteri

Not the OP though. And since the one good player in his team was raging, it means that the majority still were builders.

startselect3 likes this.
  6. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

. . .

The whole point of this thread was "it doesn't matter if your team is bad, raging at them is a bad thing to do because this is just a game and who honestly gives a damn if you win or lose?"

response: "you suck and ragers are why you win"

It doesn't matter how good at the game the ragers are, raging is still stupid. You can't expect everyone to try as hard or be as good as you. It isn't their duty to be good at the game. In the end all you're doing is making things less fun when you rage.

There will always be people who rage, but thinking it's okay because they're good at the game isn't making things any better

7. Boea

Boea Such Beta

And then we get into a discussion about game theory.

There's always going to be a problem what the game, and two sets of players (equally, or unequal interspersed between the teams) want.

Potato, yes, you can't be as good as others in the game, it's a competitive game, but what you forget is: It is extremely easy to ignore ragers; the chat log is small, and off to a corner; text scrolls off the top of the chat log very easily, and pop ups don't show up unless the player is onscreen, and they've said whatever recently. Because of how the game goes you cannot type messages out on the front lines. And because everyone can see whomever is onscreen and is typing, tunnelers cannot type messages. This is to say, it is hard to talk to others, let alone rage.

For those who "rage", they generally have to repeat themselves very often to make sure others hear them. This percieved fervency sets off the "rage" alert in everyone's head regardless of what they actually are feeling.
    Some are trying to herd/guide/instruct others on good conduct, others are yelling about bad conduct.

So what's it to the rager? What's it to you?
    This is a competitive team game. You can be competitive all you want, but the fact comes back, and again, that a group of people can utterly destroy you, and stop you a great majority of the time. You can have the minimal requirements of having a team, a group of people with some semblance of a goal, but you can again be slaughtered by someone that is skilled, or another group of people that are slightly more numerous, or coordinated (more competitive, one might say).
    What does a rager do? They try to give the team something to do, an objective, a plan, something to coordinate a team, something to, maybe make a competitive team? They point out flaws, they advise different things to to, they try to tell you something, they try to coordinate with you, they are critics.
    What do you do? D you let the team down? Do you abandon the push? Do you not even try, and let the other team stomp you painfully, or hold back your advances (stalemate)?

Why certainly this is a game, but this game competitive, you need to do something to be dignified, the game is a team game, you can't simply walk through whatever Mordor the middle territory is.
    It is to excite, and stimulate people; it requires the efforts of everyone involved, and the rager try their damned hardest to make it that way, or it's just pain and frustration from getting stomped at every turn by some team that listens more to their ragers, or is thoughtful enough to not need someone to yell at them to do something.

Simply, what the fuck is the wind trying to tell you? You can't sail a ship without heeding the wind, let alone whatever noise it carries from other people that are suggesting, telling, or downright yelling you, what it is saying.

8. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

The rager I'm talking about just spams angry and useless messages about how bad their team is, possibly in all caps. Criticism is fine. People who say things like "We need more knights!" or "This wall sucks ass! Someone come give it more backwall" or "Don't make trap block caves for the enemies!" aren't ragers, they're helpful. Ragers aren't helpful. We're talking about different people, I think.

And just because the game is "competitive" doesn't mean everyone has to try hard and do the best they can. It certainly can be played competitively, but in your usual pub match, not everyone is going to want to play competitively and try their hardest, so don't try to make them: you'll both end up pissed off. KAG can still be exciting and stimulating even when you're not that invested in winning, and some people don't play it to be excited anyway. It can sometimes be more fun if you aren't trying is hard, depending on what you enjoy.

Make people feel bad at the game by beating them at it, not by verbally harassing them about how they suck. They probably realize that they suck. People learn from their mistakes. People don't learn from people yelling "fuckin noob" at them. That is the problem with raging.

As for the chat system, usually constructive criticism happens at the scene of the crime (someone yelling "more knights" at the front lines where fighters would see it and maybe change to knight, someone explaining trap blocks next to a crappy builder making a trap block cove) and doesn't need to be repeated as it is clearly seen by the targets. Most raging is general and useless, and thus is repeated to get maximum exposure.

TL;DR constructive criticism is a-ok, yelling at team for generally sucking is raging, useless, and not ok. kag is a competitive game that in public matches is usually played casually, and many people enjoy that: don't try to make pubbies play competitively. just go ahead and rek them, it's probably the best criticism you can give.

also
    woh

9. Monsteri

I'll usually say something like "GO FUCKING KNIGHT OR BUILD STUFF IN THE FRONT YOU USELESS SHITBAGS"

So I guess I am still being constructive.

10. I don't mind if a few people don't build, because its better than them making shitty buildings that give your team the disadvantage. I only get mad when they climb and jump all over so you can't place a block.

Klokinator likes this.
  11. Monsteri

But they do build, all game they will place down one block per 10 seconds in utterly useless formations behind your flag.

12. Horse_That_Goes_Ni

Horse_That_Goes_Ni Your favorite Persian Staff Alumni Donator

Arak,
    I hope you stay here on the forums and keep playing kag. Although the community can be rough at times and you will encounter wild assholes it is a very brilliant game. If you ignore the people that have gigantic egos they'll eventually just stop bothering you. (if it is specifically towards you) If you happen to have steam and want some tips and tricks, or just want to chill, you have my username.
    Steam name: Horse_That_Goes_Ni

13. I was in a match where me and one other knight were attacking, while about 6 others were building houses in our base. I capped 2 of the enemy flags and then quit out of frustration.

14. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

This thread is completely pointless, you can't "fix" a community. The players will continue to play the game HOWEVER they want to because they bought it with there own money.

There is votekicking and there is ignoring, if a player is truly a problem he will be kicked. Or just suck it up and ignore him with the mute option.

Yagger likes this.
  15. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

THE FLAG ISN'T EVEN COVERED, WHY ARE YOU BEHIND SPAWN HAMMERING DIRT?

EVERYBODY IS A BUILDER, AND YET WE HAVE NO SHOPS.

YOU CAN'T MINE BEDROCK, STOP IT. SERIOUSLY, STOP, I HATE THAT NOISE.

All are valid complaints; how do you think they feel when they go completely ignored? If you block "ragers", you're just unwilling to improve. Or like 99% of KAG players, you literally cannot read.

16. GrieverJ

GrieverJ Arsonist

I don't expect everyone to be as good as me, or to be good at all. I do expect you to actually make an attempt at winning the game. If the objective is to Capture the Flag or Take the Halls and you're off in a corner building a nice house for yourself, you're not just useless, you're actually a liability for wasting your team's resources and a player slot. I have a problem with that. Go play sandbox if you want to minecraft. Maybe raging doesn't help, but I don't really see what else there is to be done when your team is 9 builders and 1 knight.

Klokinator likes this.
  17. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

You learned the power of capslock, I like it, keep up the good work. But remember with great power comes great responsibility.

If you don't like your team betray them! Switch to the other team and rape their wives, steal their flags and kick their sandcastle's. Their mother can't help them.

Horse_That_Goes_Ni and Ricket like this.
  18. Horse_That_Goes_Ni

Horse_That_Goes_Ni Your favorite Persian Staff Alumni Donator

"Kick their sandcastle's"
    Cracked me up:X3:

19. Armitage1982

Armitage1982 Shark Slayer

Or the dude who destroy the archer shop because he want everyone to choose knight :X3:

20. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

It's obviously the one knight's fault that his team isn't winning because he isn't good enough to take on 6 knights at once. God, git gud people
    -sarcasm